WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It must have been even more difficult for Parks to win in front of a French crowd. It's never easy to win in front of a home crowd so you have to give her extra credit.
Parks has a good on court presence doesent give away much at all, good thing to have going forward in her career

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Alycia has a great serve and she did good to win here against Garcia who had the home crowd behind her.She is definitely a late bloomervand with more matches at big events she will get even more confident.Her serve is very accurate and gives flashes of Rena's moneymaker.I hope she keeps her head fixated on her tennis and not be destracted by this newly found attention.
You can see a lot of Serena in her game (not just the serve) and it's a good thing. Who wouldn't want to model their game after a GOAT. I didn't see the final, but watched the SF yesterday. She has an obvious issue playing w/ the lead. She shouldn't focus on the score, maybe she should just see herself down all the time and that would force her to focus on every point like it's a break point. I'll try to catch the replay of her match on TTC. But huge props to her defeating Caro on home soil.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
You can see a lot of Serena in her game (not just the serve) and it's a good thing. Who wouldn't want to model their game after a GOAT. I didn't see the final, but watched the SF yesterday. She has an obvious issue playing w/ the lead. She shouldn't focus on the score, maybe she should just see herself down all the time and that would force her to focus on every point like it's a break point. I'll try to catch the replay of her match on TTC. But huge props to her defeating Caro on home soil.
@kskate2 You need to watch it

Today Garcia was the hometown favorite. Even with the Voice(Nuni) in the chair to give her the inspiration coming from above combined with the overwhelming bias French crowds, Garcia faced a woman whose faith wasn't going to be denied. I have seen others,,,(recently Sabalenka) determined but not this focused. Yes this wasn't a huge tournament or a grand slam major but remember this tournament, it may be the beginning of something SPECIAL

Reactions: tossip

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

Today Garcia was the hometown favorite. Even with the Voice(Nuni) in the chair to give her the inspiration coming from above combined with the overwhelming bias French crowds, Garcia faced a woman whose faith wasn't going to be denied. I have seen others,,,(recently Sabalenka) determined but not this focused. Yes this wasn't a huge tournament or a grand slam major but remember this tournament, it may be the beginning of something SPECIAL
Just finished watching the replay. She wobbled a bit in that 5-5 all game, but eventually held serve. You're right, she was not going to be denied. It's a huge tourney for her as her first WTA level win. She definitely likes these indoor courts. I'm expecting even more results from her this year. With a few good runs, she can get inside the top 30 this year.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
@MargaretMcAleer
Hey MM,
I thought when a match was held in France w/ a player from that country, they had to have a neutral umpire. How could the Voice call that match today?

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great match, great winner - we are ready ;)
Happy New Year - by the way
1675664768960.png

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
@MargaretMcAleer
Hey MM,
I thought when a match was held in France w/ a player from that country, they had to have a neutral umpire. How could the Voice call that match today?
Nouni was not bad and the crowd for the most part was neutral.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions

Let's not get carried away with this. Parks beat a way overrated Caroline Garcia, who struggled in many matches in this tournament. A player that is truly special isn't winning their first small tournament at age 22, they have won multiple slams by then.

Parks may win some big tournaments and possibly a slam, but she will never be on the level of a Coco Gauff, Linda Fruvirtova, or even a Linda Noskova. These players are 3-5 years younger than Parks and have accomplished more.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Let's not get carried away with this. Parks beat a way overrated Caroline Garcia, who struggled in many matches in this tournament. A player that is truly special isn't winning their first small tournament at age 22, they have won multiple slams by then.

Parks may win some big tournaments and possibly a slam, but she will never be on the level of a Coco Gauff, Linda Fruvirtova, or even a Linda Noskova. These players are 3-5 years younger than Parks and have accomplished more.
We shall see and it would be great if Coco wins a slam before Alyica..Either way they're both on the come up as Sloane and Madison faces the second half of their careers

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nouni was not bad and the crowd for the most part was neutral.
Yes he was, though it was strange seeing Caroline is French, that Nouni was the umpire, usually would have a neutral umpire on the match. Nouni is one of the top umpires in the WTA

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching the match between The Banchee vs Ostapenko, at the Abu Dhabi Open, it has been a fun and feisty match so far lol!, though sad to see the stands empty, I have counted 10 people so far. I set all, though Ostapenko is leading 4-2 in the 3rd set
Ostapenko just broke herself with 3 DFs and back on serve 4 all in the 3rd set

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes he was, though it was strange seeing Caroline is French, that Nouni was the umpire, usually would have a neutral umpire on the match. Nouni is one of the top umpires in the WTA
Nouni is always the Professional no worries but I dont agree with Tossip.. Crowd was ok but not good.. Nouni had to speak to them a few times..

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nouni is always the Professional no worries but I dont agree with Tossip.. Crowd was ok but not good.. Nouni had to speak to them a few times..
I was also watching the match, it was in Carolines home town, of course the crowd wanted her to win, I have seen worst crowds in my time. BTW I did answer one of your posts in the Novak v Tsitipas final regarding Craig Tiley, maybe you have not read it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.