WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The WTA Statement Pertaining to athletes denied entry into Czech Republic,

" Individual WTA players whose nationality is Russian/Belarusian continue to compete on the Tour on a neutral basis. Despite their neutrality, some WTA players are being denied by the Czech government authorities the ability to compete as the WTA250 event scheduled to be held in Prague next week."

"WTA rules state that all players must be allowed on the WTA based solely on merit, without discrimination. We will continue to review the considerations around these complex geopolitical issues".

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iga won her postponed quarterfinal and is playing semi later today. Oponent not known yet.

1690636102152.png

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In the SF in Warsaw,

L. Siegemund d T.Maria 57 63 64

Iga Swiatek v Y.Wickmayer Iga won the 1st set 61 and have just started the 2nd set
Iga was serving for the match 5-2 and DF, Iga again served for the match 5-4 and broken 5 games all 2nd set
Wow this match has been suspended due to darkness!
This SF match will be concluded tomorrow, the winner will face Siegemund in the final, after suitable rest.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
With the loss of just one game Iga Swiatek won her home tournament in Warsaw 60 61 over Laura Siegemund. this is Iga's 4th title of the season
Before taking the court against Siegemund in the final, Iga had to finish off her SF match against Wickmayer which was suspended due to bad light.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
At her press conference in Washington, Elina Svitolina said she talked yesterday with WTA CEO Steve Simon, who told her that they will announce to the crowd before her match tomorrow night vs Azarenka that there will be no handshake. Elina was happy with that.

Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
At her press conference in Washington, Elina Svitolina said she talked yesterday with WTA CEO Steve Simon, who told her that they will announce to the crowd before her match tomorrow night vs Azarenka that there will be no handshake. Elina was happy with that.
Just tired of this,there shouldn't be any politics in sports.I think the Ukrainians are taking advantage of the situation and exploiting it, and WTA has lost control of the tour.Larry Scott would have used his executive powers to control this mess.He was not my favorite because of playing favorites but he would have taken control of the situation.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just tired of this,there shouldn't be any politics in sports.I think the Ukrainians are taking advantage of the situation and exploiting it, and WTA has lost control of the tour.Larry Scott would have used his executive powers to control this mess.He was not my favorite because of playing favorites but he would have taken control of the situation.
I think of what happended in Wimbledon Simon dosent want fans boo again I guess, help me I hope this isnt going to be a regular annoucement when Ukraine players are facing Russian/Belarusian players, though Simon has set a precedent hasnt he?

Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Physio switcheroo as Bruyere leaves Team Bibim returns to Team Vika.
Tennis Canada and national strength and conditioning coach Virginie Tremblay who was there where it all began for Andreescu four years ago is on board for the summer, including a pre-summer training camp before everyone headed down to DC.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Citi DC Open Washington this was a 250 event now upgraded to a WTA500 event,
Defending champion is L. Samsonova.

Matches Monday 31st July,
Starting at Noon,

L. Samsonova (8) defending champion vs WC D. Collins
B.Andreescu WC vs M. Kostyuk
S. Steohens vs Q L. Davis
D. Kasatkina (8) vs E.Mertens
B. Bencic (6) vs A.Potapovva

Night match ( not before 7pm)
E.Svitolina WC vs V. Azarenka

J. Brady/M.Keys vs P.Martic/M.Sakkari

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Not many fans watching Andreescu v Kostyuk , Bianca just won the 1st 62, hopefully she can keep this form up as Kostyuk is a tricky player, most of the fans are over watching the doubles match Tiafoe/Hurkacz v Eubanks/Korda on grandstand stadium
Bianca cannot seem to win in SS these days, Kostyuk wins the 2nd set 63, going 3.
3rd set went to a TB Marta saved 3 MPs and won the match 26 63 76(5)
Bianca will have to play better in Montreal if she wants to move up in the rankings

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This has Vika's sperm daddy scenario written all over it.

Any thoughts @MargaretMcAleer, @tossip and @kskate2
Well they have been together for awhile, lets see how this pans out with the recent arrival of their baby girl
What I will be interested to see how their relationship will be when Osaka returns to the tour at the AO in 2024, and how she will manage playing tennis with a baby, will the baby and Cordae accompany Osaka to the AO and also other tournaments in 2024, that will be a test in their relationship, as he also has his own career as well.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW with Iga Swiatek winning her 4th title of the 2023 season, Warsaw Open, she now holds a 645 point advantage over No 2 player Aryna Sabalenka.

Status
Not open for further replies.