WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
She has run out of steam just like Rybakina.I think it's a race between Iga and Saba for no.1.
Babs needs to keep her mouth shut. It's called put up or shut up. She's not putting up any big results in the M1000s or the slams since her RG win. Elbow or not, she was still posting doubs wins when she wasn't doing anything in singles. I give Elena a break. It's only been a year since she won Wimby. She made the finals of Oz, beating Iga along the way and she had chances to win that match. She also did well in the Masters events this year. Let's revisit her results this time next year and see where she lands.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I hope he sticks around because Osaka is mentally fragile.A baby will not make him stay if the relationship is not solid, hopefully she is working on herself during her maternity leave,and will find inner peace.
Agree. I hope he sticks as well. AP is right though, this has a ring of similarity to Vika's baby daddy. The difference w/ Cordae, he appears to accept her name and paychex is bigger. He doesn't seem intimidated by her success.

Reactions: tossip

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kenin,Scone are very disappointing.The way Scone lost at Wimbledon sums up her apathetic attitude.I suspect that Kenin maybe was struggling with an addiction..it's just a hunch.She is waking up because she probably wants to play at the Olympics.Penko has been playing well this year,Bebe needs conditioning because she is struggling in three setters.Thiem has a mental block and needs a sports psychologist.
What about the Canadian chick Bianca A.is that Bebe?

Last edited:
Reactions: tossip and kskate2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree. I hope he sticks as well. AP is right though, this has a ring of similarity to Vika's baby daddy. The difference w/ Cordae, he appears to accept her name and paychex is bigger. He doesn't seem intimidated by her success.
That young boy is a rapper and her mental issues will make him stray more than he does now. You can't have a relationship with someone in the musical industry.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Results of matches Tuesday 1st August, Citi DC Open,

H. Baptiste d K. Pliskova 61 06 63
M.Keys d Q.Zheng 75 61
P.Stearns d M.Frech 61 64
S.Cirstea d P.Martic 63 76(13)
J. Brady d A. Kalinina 62 61
L.Ferandez d B.Pera 63 75

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Matches Wednesday 2nd August, Citi DC Open,

B.Bencic (6) vs L. Davis
D.Kasatkina ( 6) vs E. Svitolina will there be an announcement before this match that there will be no handshake at the end of the match? Steve Simon has set a precedent with the Svitolina v Azarenka match the other day, so there has to be an announcement in this match.
C. Gauff (3) vs H.Baptiste
L. Samsonova defending champion vs S. Cirstea
M.Keys (7) vs J. Brady

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
For me, the worst thing about these Ukrainian players is not even acknowledging their opponent after the match. Give them a nod at least. Vika gave a thumbs up. Good on her. Makes the unsporting clown opponent look bad which they indeed are. The Ukrainians are making awfully unnecessary scenes over mere tennis matches and it reeks of ignorance to just walk past their opponent with zero eye contact. Dolgopolov was a cool player to watch but a complete tosser now since his remarks that players from Belarus and Russia shouldn't be allowed play. Undoes all the admiration I had for his interesting and unorthodox game now that he's another who showed his true colours...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Emma Raducanu is back on the court ( training) first time since having ankle and wrist surgery. I would imagine she will take things slow, no news at hand when she will be returning to the tour.

Former tennis player and current captain of the Spanish Billie Jean King cup team, Anabel Medina Garrigues will join the Rafa Nadal Academy in September as the new head of women's tennis.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
US Open will be introducing video review this year to help chair umpires during disputes. Video review will be used for all main draw matches on Ashe, Armstrong, Grandstand, court 5 and court 17.
( source The Tennis Letter)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Solid tennis from Belinda Bencic, keep her good form from Wimbledon a few weeks ago, defeating Davis in SS 61 64 and into the QFs at Washington

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As Svitolina and Daria walk on court to start their match, there is a big sign in capitol letters" and an annoucement

" At the conclusion of the match, there will be no handshake between the players.We appreciate your respect for both athletes during and following the match, and for your understanding during these difficult times"

I would imagine this message and an announcement before matches, will be ongoing in the WTA for all tournaments, between Russian/Belarusian players when facing players from Ukraine., if not if makes CEO Steve Simon's last statement weak., concerning the handshake.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
As Svitolina and Daria walk on court to start their match, there is a big sign in capitol letters"

" At the conclusion of the match, there will be no handshake between the players.We appreciate your respect for both athletes during and following the match, and for your understanding during these difficult times"

I would imagine this message will be ongoing in the WTA for all tournaments, between Russian/Belarusian players when facing players from Ukraine., if not if makes CEO Steve Simon's last statement weak., concerning the handshake.
Mrs Monfils ain't gonna have time to worry about shaking hands..she will beat the pusher with ease

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mrs Monfils ain't gonna have time to worry about shaking hands..she will beat the pusher with ease
True, still that is not the point, seeing CEO Steve Simon has now set a precedent to have a message and a announcement whenever Ukraine players are playing Russian/Belarusian players, regarding the non hand shake. Elina had a conversation with Simon and was happy that there will be an announcement about the non hand shake at the end of a match

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
True, still that is not the point, seeing CEO Steve Simon has now set a precedent to have a message and a announcement whenever Ukraine players are playing Russian/Belarusian players, regarding the non hand shake
Much Ado about nothing.. handshakes come on MM it not gonna play any part of the game..

Status
Not open for further replies.