WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay there is now an official reason why Ons Jabeur has withdrawn from Montreal ( source The Tennis Letter)

Ons has a knee injury, Linda Noskova will now receive entry into the main draw.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Because a final is different?
Completely different. And the fact that she's been the fave at 2/3 means more expectation. Expectation = pressure. Not everyone is good in dealing w/ it or we would have more slam champs instead of the same players winning all the time. Her issue is not physical. It's mental and it just may take her losing 3 or 4 finals before she gets her act together. Andy and Clijsters both took the scenic route to winning their maiden slam.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe. But I don't think you would treat all the inhabitants like the plague and it's their fault. They didn't ask to be born there anymore than she did in her country.
I think that’s the only protest she can make and so she’s right to do it. It’s not going to change a tyrants mind but she just feel very impotent and scared, and so if this small gesture reminds people that what Putin is doing is not only terrible but it’s also only the thin edge of his aims, that he wants more from his neighbours, that it might escalate in uncontrollable ways, then it’s a small but necessary thing.

As for how I’d treat players from those countries, I’d hope I’d do my best, and I think she is trying to. They’ll get over it. Nobody is destroying their country..

Reactions: kskate2

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
@MargaretMcAleer and @kskate2 MM , Keli your eyes would know better than mine. Jabeur has lost a lot of weight since a few years ago..she just doesn't have the IG model body type ..is that correct? I think it's more mental with Ons than her physical fitness although she has experienced some nagging injuries the past 6 months if I recall correctly
But the thing is, if it was all mental, she would have not beat the two most mentally tough players in the WTA, in Rybakina and Sabalenka, on a back-to-back. Beating one of them is tough enough, beating both on no rest requires a very strong mental game. Occam's razor says the problem isn't mental, and that Ons running out of gas after pulling out a couple of tough matches is the better explanation. That said, we can speculate until the cows come home, but Ons is the only one that truly knows.

Let's be honest, though, had Ons lost a tough 3-setter to Rybakina in the QF or Sabalenka in the SF, would you all be questioning her mental ability?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
But the thing is, if it was all mental, she would have not beat the two most mentally tough players in the WTA, in Rybakina and Sabalenka, on a back-to-back. Beating one of them is tough enough, beating both on no rest requires a very strong mental game. Occam's razor says the problem isn't mental, and that Ons running out of gas after pulling out a couple of tough matches is the better explanation. That said, we can speculate until the cows come home, but Ons is the only one that truly knows.

Let's be honest, though, had Ons lost a tough 3-setter to Rybakina in the QF or Sabalenka in the SF, would you all be questioning her mental ability?
A final is a different match in a GS compared to a QF or SF, remember too this is not the first time Ons has been to a final especially at Wimbledon where she has been the favorite, Ons even said after the final again she felt the pressure, of course it does not matter how many GS finals a player is in, nerves are a part, though most players put that aside, I really think she needs to seek help from a sports physio, seeing this is not the first time Ons has 'imploded' in a GS final.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

Cmon, don't be obtuse. She isn't the first player to beat higher ranked players only to get to the final and freeze. Nor will she be the last. She was not favored to win against Petra, Elena and Saba and you know it. It's easy to swing freely when you're the underdog. But when everyone expects you to perform, it's a lot harder to bring it. Mental fragility affects the physical too (especially in shot/serve selection, point construction and belief).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sasha Bajin and Karolina Pliskova have parted ways again lol! I lost count how many tines their partnership has parted, usually Karolina waits till the end of the season this time she is rather early...watch this space to see who Karolina picks as her new coach and who Sasha will coach next

Reactions: tossip

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Sasha Bajin and Karolina Pliskova have parted ways again lol! I lost count how many tines their partnership has parted, usually Karolina waits till the end of the season this time she is rather early...watch this space to see who Karolina picks as her new coach and who Sasha will coach next
Keys, it's got to be Keys @tossip make the call and introduction please jajaja

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Where does Sasha go from here? He has been a coach to almost everyone.He has kinda plateaued as a coach,and players now know that he is not delivering when it matters..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Where does Sasha go from here? He has been a coach to almost everyone.He has kinda plateaued as a coach,and players now know that he is not delivering when it matters..
I have no idea, really the only player of note he has coached was Osaka, again that didnt last long, players of course will notice his results of late, well there is always Emma Radacanu he hasnt coached her lol! she seems to rotate her coaches every 5-6 months, when he first decided to coach, he was the hitting partner of Serena for many years, just because you have been a hitting partner to one of the greats of tennis, dosent mean you will become a successful coach.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I have no idea, really the only player of note he has coached was Osaka, again that didnt last long, players of course will notice his results of late, well there is always Emma Radacanu he hasnt coached her lol! she seems to rotate her coaches every 5-6 months, when he first decided to coach, he was the hitting partner of Serena for many years, just because you have been a hitting partner to one of the greats of tennis, dosent mean you will become a successful coach.
Sasha can coach no doubt about it. Maybe he wants too much credit, perhaps but I think that's just human nature. We all want credit and TRUE acknowledgement for our body of work ..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sasha can coach no doubt about it. Maybe he wants too much credit, perhaps but I think that's just human nature. We all want credit and TRUE acknowledgement for our body of work ..
Well I can think of other coaches in the WTA that can coach better than Sasha quite frankly, he has parted with some good players,which havent lasted long, I still feel he came on the coaching scene on the back of being Serena's hitting partner for soo many years., which dosent mean he will be successful as a coach.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He has coached Osaka,Vika,Pliskova, Wozniacki,a Ukrainian player,and others.He has been around the block..a lot.He doesn't seem to have an idea on how to improve his coaching.Tennis is evolving and he is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.