WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will post the results to date on Sunday at the Citi DC Open,

Defending champion Samsonova had little trouble defeating WC D. Collins 61 63
M. Kostyuk saved 3MPs with her 3 set victory over WC Bianca Andreescu 26 63 76(5) Bianca will have to play much better if she wants to get her ranking up.
Scone was being Scone and Q Lauren Davis defeated her in 3 sets 76(8) 36 61
Svitolina d Azarenka 76(2) 64
B.Bencic won on retirement against Potapova who retired with a left ankle injury 6-5
Kasatkina d Mertens 73 75
Brady/Keys d Martic/Sakkari in the doubles 63 16 10-2

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This has Vika's sperm daddy scenario written all over it.

Any thoughts @MargaretMcAleer, @tossip and @kskate2
I hope he sticks around because Osaka is mentally fragile.A baby will not make him stay if the relationship is not solid, hopefully she is working on herself during her maternity leave,and will find inner peace.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Citi DC Open,
Matches Tuesday 1st August,

K. Pliskova v H. Baptiste
Q. Zheng v M.Keys (7)
P.Stearns v M.Frech
S. Cirstea v P.Martic
J. Brady v A.Kalinina
L.Fernandez v B.Pera

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Just tired of this,there shouldn't be any politics in sports.I think the Ukrainians are taking advantage of the situation and exploiting it, and WTA has lost control of the tour.Larry Scott would have used his executive powers to control this mess.He was not my favorite because of playing favorites but he would have taken control of the situation.
Though I don't watch any of these matches lately, I always hope the Ukrainian players lose 'cos I can't stand their attitude and bs pondering to the media. As you said correctly, there should be no place for politics in sports. These girls are hitting a damn tennis ball and not driving tanks ffs. Kostyuk takes it to new levels with her nonsense. Total attention seeker and horrible person going by her interviews. These Russian and Belarusian players did nothing to their country so please stfu. They play tennis. Easy to see where the Yuk comes from..

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow what a TB between Martic v Cirstea in Washington, Cirstea winning 76(13)
Cirstea winning in SS 63 76(13) over Martic

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think of what happended in Wimbledon Simon dosent want fans boo again I guess, help me I hope this isnt going to be a regular annoucement when Ukraine players are facing Russian/Belarusian players, though Simon has set a precedent hasnt he?
Of course he has. As @tossip said he's a wuss. Simon has no backbone. If Naomi couldn't duck pressers w/o a fine and/or a sanction, how can players make their own rules all of a sudden and decide they won't shake hands. The WTA is cosigning this crap.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Vika cannot even post in a grudge match against a mostly weaponless player. There is no hope for her hoisting another big trophy.
Yes Vika has lost that passion she had when playing Serena .I think she needs to change her coaching team or maybe rehire Sumyk.

Reactions: kskate2

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
These one slam wonders are making a mockery of tennis the last few seasons: :facepalm:
Scone
Bebe
Kenin
Osta
Thiem

Did I forget anybody?
Kenin,Scone are very disappointing.The way Scone lost at Wimbledon sums up her apathetic attitude.I suspect that Kenin maybe was struggling with an addiction..it's just a hunch.She is waking up because she probably wants to play at the Olympics.Penko has been playing well this year,Bebe needs conditioning because she is struggling in three setters.Thiem has a mental block and needs a sports psychologist.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Of course he has. As @tossip said he's a wuss. Simon has no backbone. If Naomi couldn't duck pressers w/o a fine and/or a sanction, how can players make their own rules all of a sudden and decide they won't shake hands. The WTA is cosigning this crap.
That Kustyuk and Yemstra.. whatever her name is are disgusting.I hope someone at the Open will say enough is enough.Someone stand up to these bullies at the US Open

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kenin,Scone are very disappointing.The way Scone lost at Wimbledon sums up her apathetic attitude.I suspect that Kenin maybe was struggling with an addiction..it's just a hunch.She is waking up because she probably wants to play at the Olympics.Penko has been playing well this year,Bebe needs conditioning because she is struggling in three setters.Thiem has a mental block and needs a sports psychologist.
I dont understand why Scone continues to play tennis quite frankly, I watch her match yesterday at Washington when he gets behind she just gives up.
Bibi has a new strength coach, hopefully she can turn things around for Bianca she cant seem to win a match in straight sets
Thiem still hasnt got power in his fhand and his serve goes awol , to me he will never be the player he was, he cant even win a challenger tournaments and goes out in the 1st or 2nd rounds, he has a new coach, he is also approaching 30 and really has to think what tennis holds for him in the future years
Kenin appears to have gotten back that 'steely fight of hers though I cant see her winning another GS title
Barbora Krejcikova quite frankly I thought she has the game to win Wimbledon after she won Roland Garros, though with that elbow injury she had, which kept her off the tour for sometime, she really hasnt recaptured form though she has done well in doubles
Emma Raducanu.....what can I say, Emma and her dad like to changes coaches every 6 months and from the article I read from her agent that wont change? she has been injured all year, and her ranking has gone backwards, cant see her regaining the form she had when she won the USO, though apparently she has been getting offers of sponsors? according to her agent, well I cant see that lasting long with a bad ranking and I havent heard when she will be back ion the tour,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.