WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In a hard fought 3 set match 3rd seed Caroline Garcia defeats the talented Czech player Karolina Muchova 67(3) 75 64

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
QFs for the Qatar Open, Thursday,

(2) J.Pegula vs B.Haddad Maia First meeting
(1) I. Swiatek vs B.Bencic (7) H2H Iga 2-1.....this is the stand out match of the QFs in my opinion, Bencic has the ability to upset Iga's game, though I have noticed this court takes spin well. Oh well that match up is not happening, as Bencic withdraws citing 'fatique' Swiatek gets a walkover to the semi finals.
(4) C.Gauff vs V.Kudermetova (8) First meeting
(3) C.Garcia vs M.Sakkari (5) H2H Garcia 3-0

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Winners:

Pegula
Swiatek
Gauff
Sakkari (honestly, I have no idea which version of either player shows up)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga Swiatek gets a walkover to the semi finals at Qatar Open, Bencic withdraws due to fatique? Hmmmm.
Bencic did play and win the final of Abu Dhabi last week, maybe she should not have played Qatar Open and rested then play Dubai Open.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kudermetova now up a double break in her match against Gauff, in the 3rd set, I am getting like a 'broken record' on Gauff and her Fhand, the serve also needs attention, she started off poorly in the 1st set, recovered somewhat to win the 2nd set 63,
Kudermetova leads 5-0 3rd set, hopefully Coco can get on the board in the 3rd set
In their first meeting Kudermetova (8) defeats Coco Gauff (4) 62 36 61...Well done Kudermetova!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Okay, I'm starting to get concerned that Coco might be stagnating. I still don't think she needs a new coach, but she needs to win at least one of Dubai, IW, or Miami to convince me that she is still on the right track.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay, I'm starting to get concerned that Coco might be stagnating. I still don't think she needs a new coach, but she needs to win at least one of Dubai, IW, or Miami to convince me that she is still on the right track.
You may be singular in that mind set " I still don't think she needs a new coach"

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Please she needs a coach to take her to the next level, did you what the match? her fhand for starters, all players target it, her serve? she was lucky to get on the board in the 3rd set.Please take your Coco Gauff glasses off and look at the big picture she is going backwards, she will not be winning any of those tournaments.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You may be singular in that mind set " I still don't think she needs a new coach"
I have no words left for 'I still dont think she needs a new coach'.....the thing that frustrates me she is a good athlete, talented, though she Will Not Find Her True Potential with her Father as her coach

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
If a new coach guaranteed success, then I'd have no problem with Coco doing it. However, it does not. Just look at Emma Raducanu. She gets a new coach every few weeks, and has an overall losing record since winning the 2021 US Open. It's very possible that Coco regresses with a new coach. We know that Coco's world ranking is 6 with her current team.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I find this a bit strange but anyway
Wim Fissette who I think would make a great coach for Coco Gauff, is the new captain of the Belgian BJK Cup Team he has laid low since he was sacked by Naomi Osaka

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If a new coach guaranteed success, then I'd have no problem with Coco doing it. However, it does not. Just look at Emma Raducanu. She gets a new coach every few weeks, and has an overall losing record since winning the 2021 US Open. It's very possible that Coco regresses with a new coach. We know that Coco's world ranking is 6 with her current team.
You cannot compare Emma to Coco for starters. At present Coco could not get any worse with a new coach.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
These are the current stats for Coco Gauff,
Coco is now 1-7 vs Top 20 opposition in her last 8 matches
The last time she defeated 2 Top 20 in a row on a HC was "Over 3 Years Ago" she defeated Bertens ( 2019 Linz QF) and Osaka ( AO 2020 Rd 3)
Career 16-26 vs Top 20 ( 8-19 on HC, 6-5 on clay, 2-2 on grass

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kudermetova will play Swiatek in the semi final, as Swiatek got a walkover, due to Bencic withdrawing after her QF win citing fatique

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Please she needs a coach to take her to the next level, did you what the match? her fhand for starters, all players target it, her serve? she was lucky to get on the board in the 3rd set.Please take your Coco Gauff glasses off and look at the big picture she is going backwards, she will not be winning any of those tournaments.
Coco Gauff's Year End world rankings:

2019 - 68 (first full season)
2020 - 48
2021 - 22
2022 - 7
Current - 6

Coco's world ranking has improved significantly each year she has been on tour. And she also won at Auckland just last month, which disproves your statement that "she will not be winning any of those tournaments". I'll admit that Coco has hit a rough patch since winning at Auckland, but let's not act as if she's full blown gone backwards like 93 US Open Capriati.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco Gauff's Year End world rankings:

2019 - 68 (first full season)
2020 - 48
2021 - 22
2022 - 7
Current - 6

Coco's world ranking has improved significantly each year she has been on tour. And she also won at Auckland just last month, which disproves your statement that "she will not be winning any of those tournaments". I'll admit that Coco has hit a rough patch since winning at Auckland, but let's not act as if she's full blown gone backwards like 93 US Open Capriati.
As I keep saying Coco will not reach her full potential with her father as her coach.That FH lets her down time and time again, there has been no improvement in it at all, she could not find her find her fhand at all in the 1st set, players target it, a proper coach would make adjustments on her fhand wing for starters.A new coach is needed, other posters at TF agree, though at the end of the day it is up to Gauff to make the change.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I had a feeling that Coco didn't want to play Iga.I think subconsciously she didn't want to face Iga and lose again.Coco is still very young and to imagine she has earned some money as Kudermetova a 25yr old.She is doing relatively well compared to players in her age group.She has time to fix her forehand and serve.Coco is a hard worker and believe she will fix her weaknesses as she grows older and wiser.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I had a feeling that Coco didn't want to play Iga.I think subconsciously she didn't want to face Iga and lose again.Coco is still very young and to imagine she has earned some money as Kudermetova a 25yr old.She is doing relatively well compared to players in her age group.She has time to fix her forehand and serve.Coco is a hard worker and believe she will fix her weaknesses as she grows older and wiser.
Jess and Coco are in the doubles s/finals, I am just watching Jess match against Beatriz at present she won the 1st set 63, Beatriz can be a hand full for any player.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another first meeting between Jess Pegula (2) and Beatrix Haddad Maia, Jess playing first strike tennis against Bea is the correct way to play her, she does make you play one more shot...well done Jess winning in straight sets 63 62 !

Status
Not open for further replies.