WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just tuning into the women's final in Qatar, as I was watching a mens SF in Rotterdam

So far in the 1st set, Iga is handling the windy conditions better than Jess, winning 6-3 ( though there has been 4 breaks in seven games)
Iga gets the early break in set No 2, Iga's fhand has been 'lethal this week in Qatar' as I have mentioned before this court takes spin well, and Iga has used it to her advantage, make that a double break now in set 2.
Iga is just in 'Demolition Mode' can Jess avoid a bagel in the 2nd set?, sad to say Jess could not avoid a bagel in the 2nd set

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
World No 1 Iga Swaitek d Jess Pegula 63 60 to defend her title in Qatar ( Iga lost 5 games in 3 matches on her way to the title)
As I mentioned this court takes spin well, Iga's fhand has been 'lethal' in this tournament.
Iga handled the windy conditions in the final, better than Jess

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The draw has come out for WTA1000 Dubai, these are the projected QFs by seeding,

Swiatek (1) vs Sakkari (6)
Garcia (4) vs Gauff (5)
Bencic (8) bs Pegula (3)
Kasatkina (7) vs Sabalenka (2)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
First round matches to watch in Dubai,

Rybakina - Andreescu
Zheng Qinwen - Zhang Shuai
Collins - Linda Fruhvirtova
Pliskova - Vondrousova

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
World No 1 Iga Swaitek d Jess Pegula 63 60 to defend her title in Qatar ( Iga lost 5 games in 3 matches on her way to the title)
As I mentioned this court takes spin well, Iga's fhand has been 'lethal' in this tournament.
Iga handled the windy conditions in the final, better than Jess
This is why Jess will have a hard time winning 7 matches in a slam. She's too up & down in the SF & F. Instead of peaking for the latter stages of a tourney, she looks confused, gassed and like a futures player. I think she seriously has to consider reducing her doubs schedule until she can learn to balance both. No top 5 player should be eating a donut in the final, period.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is why Jess will have a hard time winning 7 matches in a slam. She's too up & down in the SF & F. Instead of peaking for the latter stages of a tourney, she looks confused, gassed and like a futures player. I think she seriously has to consider reducing her doubs schedule until she can learn to balance both. No top 5 player should be eating a donut in the final, period.
I agree Kskate, though it was very windy in the final and the SF, Jess said she found the conditions in her SF match against Sakkari difficult, to me Iga handled the conditions well, and her heavy top spin fhand was lethal all tournament. I often said even with Coco maybe she should not play doubles at every tournament, I think you made a good point also with Jess. Both players did defend their title defence winning the doubles in Qatar.
Kskate it also got me thinking is Iga Swaitek so far above, say the rest of the Top Ten in the WTA at present, she is beatable, especially on a fast HC, when players hit the ball flat and hard into her fhand wing? though those defeats are few and far between at present? your thoughts? also I welcome other posters thoughts as well.
BTW Jess and Coco are playing doubles in Dubai they are the top seeds

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good result for Linda Fruhvirtova over Danielle Collins today in Dubai winning 63 64
AP will be happy his girl Madison won 61 61 over Paolini
BTW Sania Mirza will retire after this year's Dubai tournament, following a 22 year long professional career.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I agree Kskate, though it was very windy in the final and the SF, Jess said she found the conditions in her SF match against Sakkari difficult, to me Iga handled the conditions well, and her heavy top spin fhand was lethal all tournament. I often said even with Coco maybe she should not play doubles at every tournament, I think you made a good point also with Jess. Both players did defend their title defence winning the doubles in Qatar.
Kskate it also got me thinking is Iga Swaitek so far above, say the rest of the Top Ten in the WTA at present, she is beatable, especially on a fast HC, when players hit the ball flat and hard into her fhand wing? though those defeats are few and far between at present? your thoughts? also I welcome other posters thoughts as well.
BTW Jess and Coco are playing doubles in Dubai they are the top seeds
Iga will be Iga. She will continue to do Iga things. Is she head & shoulders above the tour? Most of last year, I would say yes. But since July she actually bleeds when you cut her. Besides, you can't control the points as much w/ her as you can w/ others. That being said, you do have control over 1 shot in the rally. Your serve. Jess should not be eating a bagel, period. I get that it was windy, but she played the SF in the wind so it should not have been completely new conditions.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Iga's dominance today is the product of the WTA's competition being as weak as ever. I find it funny how Iga wasn't anything before Ash Barty retired and Naomi Osaka was playing well. The only thing Iga won was the 2020 French Open, and neither Barty nor Osaka played at that slam. The fact that a player like Magda Linette made a slam semifinal proves that this is the weakest era of WTA tennis.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga's dominance today is the product of the WTA's competition being as weak as ever. I find it funny how Iga wasn't anything before Ash Barty retired and Naomi Osaka was playing well. The only thing Iga won was the 2020 French Open, and neither Barty nor Osaka played at that slam. The fact that a player like Magda Linette made a slam semifinal proves that this is the weakest era of WTA tennis.

My question is how can the other players at present say in the Top 10 defeat Iga, she is beatable as we have seen at Wimbledon and AO, the slower surfaces seem to suit her game, so she can get her feet set and use her fhand

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Iga is also intimidating these players.The way she matches up and down like she is going to war is a scare tactic.She has mastered the mental game,and a few of them lose the match before hitting the ball.
I just think that this year she might not have a very good year.Last year she was peaking and it's going to be difficult to do it again in 2023.I just think some players will start figuring out her game.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga is also intimidating these players.The way she matches up and down like she is going to war is a scare tactic.She has mastered the mental game,and a few of them lose the match before hitting the ball.
I just think that this year she might not have a very good year.Last year she was peaking and it's going to be difficult to do it again in 2023.I just think some players will start figuring out her game.
I also think Iga having her sports psychologist traveling with her full time is a big advantage, I would like to see her go it alone without her , I have no problem with players speaking to sports psychologist when needed, I know Ash Barty had one, used to ring and talk, look at Sabalenka she got rid of her sports psychologist and won the AO, she decided to work things out on her own.

Reactions: tossip

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I also think Iga having her sports psychologist traveling with her full time is a big advantage, I would like to see her go it alone without her , I have no problem with players speaking to sports psychologist when needed, I know Ash Barty had one, used to ring and talk, look at Sabalenka she got rid of her sports psychologist and won the AO, she decided to work things out on her own.
But even having the sports psychologist w/ her full time doesn't mean she won't lose. As you've mentioned, she's been vulnerable at times, because when the rubber meets the road, it's not the shrink hitting the ball but Iga. Iga still has to execute.

Reactions: tossip and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
But even having the sports psychologist w/ her full time doesn't mean she won't lose. As you've mentioned, she's been vulnerable at times, because when the rubber meets the road, it's not the shrink hitting the ball but Iga. Iga still has to execute.
True she still has to execute, though she has had her sports psychologist with her for around 2 years full time, I would like to see her go it alone, with just her coach, trainer, just my opinion

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA Top Ten rankings Monday 20th February,

1. Swiatek
2, Sabalenka
3. Pegula (+1)
4. Jabeur (-1)
5. Garcia'
6. Gauff
7. Sakkari
8. Kasatkina
9. Bencic
10. Rybakina

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting match ups Monday 20th February,
B.Haddad Maia (11) vs S.Cirstea
V. Azarenka (15) vs A.Pavlyuchenkova, interested to see how Pavs goes, after her knee surgery, that has kept her off the tour since , most of last year, she has a good game on the HC, though she will be fully tested by Azarenka
E.Rybakina (9) vs B. Andreescu.....hopefully Bianca can stay injury free.

Doubles action,
M.Keys teaming up with S.Mirza, who is retiring after Dubai tournament is over, they will play Samonsova/Kudermetova

The No 1 seeds Gauff/Pegula play M.Kato/A.Sutjiadi

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm just glad that Coco Gauff's world ranking didn't drop. As long as Coco stays in the Top 8, she will put herself in position for favorable draws in the slams.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga Swaitek has been nominated for the Sportswoman of the Year in the 2023 Laureus Awards
Elena Rybakina has been nominated Breakthrough of the Year in the 2023 Laureus Awards

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
After 3 hrs and 29min Sorana Cirstea defeats Haddad Maia 46 76(7) 75.Cristea saved 2 MPs in the 2nd set and fought back from 1-4 down in the 3rd set.This is now the longest WTA match of the year, replacing yesterdays 3hr 22 min Badosa v Samaonova in Dubai. ( I started watching this match, took a nap and it was still going lol )

Azarenka d Pavlyuchenkova 63 75, though I saw some positives signs from Pavs in this match

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching Rybakina v Andreescu
Elena won the 1set 63, playing great had a MTO took some pills, now Andresscu having a MTO for her shoulder, which seems to be a ongoing problem for Bianca, you know sad to say I dont think Bianca's body is meant to play tennis, she has a great game when 'on' her career thus far has been stop and start with soo many injuries, even as a junior.
Maybe that shoulder rub was the key for Bianca to break in the 2nd set, she was broken,broke back and leads 4-2 2nd set
Of course I spoke too soon, Elena breaks back lol!.....can someone hold their serve please in the 2nd set?
Rybakina wins 63 64, Bianca had her chances to win the 2nd set, though I must say it was a tough 1st rd match for her,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.