US Politics Thread

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, I hear that Kushner will now create peace in middle east without any access to classified info. :D

Reactions: Moxie

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The fact that Americans are not storming the streets after Trump is legitimately suggesting arming teachers as a solution to school shootings is a problem. By far the most ridiculous thing that's been suggested by republicans over the past 2 years, and that is saying a fucking lot.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serious question:

Why the fuck do Americans treat the constitution like a fucking bible or Quran? Oh wait, it's an outdated text that can't be literally implemented in today's society. So I guess it is like a religious book.

The 2nd amendment being treated as divine gospel is embarrassing in the 21st century. Children are dying. Fuck your right to bear arms.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The fact that Americans are not storming the streets after Trump is legitimately suggesting arming teachers as a solution to school shootings is a problem. By far the most ridiculous thing that's been suggested by republicans over the past 2 years, and that is saying a fucking lot.
If you don't think Americans aren't storming the streets, you're missing something. The teenagers from Parkland are leading the charge, but there is a real movement afoot against the NRA and the politicians they've bought. March 24 is a student walk-out and April 20th will be a march.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Serious question:

Why the fuck do Americans treat the constitution like a fucking bible or Quran? Oh wait, it's an outdated text that can't be literally implemented in today's society. So I guess it is like a religious book.

The 2nd amendment being treated as divine gospel is embarrassing in the 21st century. Children are dying. Fuck your right to bear arms.
The US Constitution isn't an out-dated text. It's held up really well. And, while some justices are "originalists," there have been more cases than not when the Supremes and the lawmakers interpreting it to adapt to the world we live in. The one problem you're having with it, as do I, is the 2nd Amendment. We could do pages on this, why the US is such a gun culture, and what we really mean by a well-regulated militia, and I'll leave you to the google rabbit hole yourself. However, in the broad strokes, until the Civil Rights movement, the 2nd Amendment was fairly antique and forgotten, as the NRA was a benign sporting club. Not to put too fine a point on it, but when white people got afraid that black people were gaining political power, and that they were angry, they took to arms. The NRA became a powerful lobbying force, and white conservatives embraced the 2nd Amendment, or, perhaps, had it propagandized to them in a dog-whistle, and any attempt at mitigating gun laws is held at complete bay by the NRA and the politicians they've bought, to the tune of millions, and goes nowhere. But a lot of people think that the rubber has suddenly met the road an the issue now.

N

Nekro

cssz180225_01_480.jpg

cssz180225_02_480.jpg

cssz180225_03_480.jpg

cssz180225_04_480.jpg

cssz180225_05_480.jpg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
wow... another one bites the dust. Hope Hicks resigns. By far the hottest resignation :D But it's weird that she resigns a day after her Congressional testimony. A bit of a coincidence n'est pas?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, there are greater chances that he can create peace in the middle east if he is not aware of all briefings protected due to security concerns. :D
Ignorance and no security clearance is bliss, I guess.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What have standards gone to? The whole American political scene is like one giant Watergate right now, and only non-Trump supporters are outraged. A country conducted a Cyber-attack on the US, and yet the president hasn't taken a single action, or even condemned said country, and republicans are OK with this. It's lunacy.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^That right there is an impeachable offence to me. The President swore an oath to defend the American people and their democracy. He is clearly not doing this by not responding to this attack and ensuring it doesn't happen again. It's so blatant

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Trump is too thin-skinned and insecure to give any credence to the Russian meddling because he thinks it delegitimizes his Presidency. (Well?) But that doesn't explain most especially the US people/voters. I don't understand the lack of outrage especially amongst the biggest flag-wavers, etc.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Trump is too thin-skinned and insecure to give any credence to the Russian meddling because he thinks it delegitimizes his Presidency. (Well?) But that doesn't explain most especially the US people/voters. I don't understand the lack of outrage especially amongst the biggest flag-wavers, etc.

This is the most shocking thing about the tribalism in the US now. Republicans throwing shade at the FBI and law enforcement and showing the love to Putin. If you had told me that 10 years ago I would have said you were smoking crack. The mid-terms are going to be interesting.

On another note, what did you think of Trump's performance yesterday? I didn't believe a word of it. I think he's using the same playbook he used in the immigration debate and he'll switch it around in a few weeks and threaten to veto any thing going against the NRA. He'd better hope that he can hold on to Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania because I think Florida is a lost cause for him now. With the uprooted Puerto Ricans and high schoolers who'll turn 18 between now and 2020, he's done there

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Our Gov. Cuomo was asked that question this morning, as I've heard others asked in the news, and basically everyone says a version of 'your guess is as good as mine.' Everyone has given up on trying to decipher what Trump thinks or believes in any given moment, because it changes.

You make good points about FL, but I wouldn't be sure of that. Plus, 2020 is pretty far away, based on the ways things move around here these days.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Good grief! The moron President is inflicting tariffs on the world. This is an implicit tax that just might reverse the tax cuts once you factor in retaliation. All you'll be left with is a larger deficit :facepalm:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
So Trump's tariff eruption has already wiped off in excess of $1trn from global stocks. That could recover of course if this is just bluff. But a couple of things:

(1) the elites aren't going to be happy about this. That's their money he's messing with. I have to imagine that if the consensus becomes that the President is a threat to global stability even the supine GOP might reconsider their unwavering support for him. I would suggest that the odds of impeachment have jumped several percentage points

(2) Trump's zero sum perception of trade and trade deficits would be flawed for any other economy in the world, but it is egregiously wrong for the economy whose currency is also the global reserve currency. Look through out history, global reserve currencies alway leave their economies holding current account deficits. There's a reason for this. How else can foreign entities hold and transact in the global reserve currency if there isn't a surplus distribution of it? The dumbing down of America has always been a danger to global society, but I never thought I would see it in action like this.

(3) Is it possible that Trump is doing this as a distraction? Even writing that question makes me almost dizzy. Wiping off in excess of $1trn as a distraction!! Stunning. But this has always seemed to be his playbook. Playing this same trick to distract from some horrific news that is imminent. If that's the case then there really might be some fire hidden by all this Russia smoke we're seeing, and we're likely to hear something damning from Mueller in the next few days. What else can one think?

This isn't funny anymore. This guy needs to be removed. The parallels to Smoot-Hawley and even the Nixon tariffs are too horrible to consider. It implies an extremely bearish outlook for the global economy if this has any legs. Trade wars aren't easy you utterly retarded asshole. They lead to retaliation and the situation will get out of control in no time at all :facepalm::banghead:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46