US Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fritz is playing good tennis from what I've seen in the 4th set and Zverev is not at his best. Maybe slightly tired from the OG and plenty of match play in a last few months.

Still it's a great effort from Fritz to reach first slam SF and well deserved. Americans might have their player in the final as the bottom draw is shaping right now.

Reactions: Fiero425

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
If you could be bothered to watch De Minaur, you'd realize he's playing more aggressive tennis this year. Also, the USO surface is not that slow. I know it's a matter of taste, but I can't stand the tennis you get on a surface like in Cincinnati, which was referred to as "glass" by more than one commentator. That, to me, is boring. It's one-and-done, or one-two tennis. Notice is this match: The crowd stands and and cheers when there's an actually rally.
Rallies are fine but not every damn point. If there are rallies every point then something is wrong with the surface. This is a problem for many years now with tennis. Tons of the players on tour win matches cos of fitness and not tennis shot making.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Zed's loss has 2 implications,
Sinner already sure of staying at No 1 in the ATP rankings, will stay at No 1 the ATP Race as well
Medvedev will become world No 2, if he wins the title

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Fritz is playing good tennis from what I've seen in the 4th set and Zverev is not at his best. Maybe slightly tired from the OG and plenty of match play in a last few months.

Still it's a great effort from Fritz to reach first slam SF and well deserved. Americans might have their player in the final as the bottom draw is shaping right now.
Don,
Fritz has been playing good ball from the start of the USO, and I am not surprised he beat Zed today, he has defeated him the last 3 times out of 4 they have played, remember Fritz also played at the OG?

Reactions: don_fabio

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe Steve chose the American because they typically do lose kind of expecting a Reverse Uno with the pick.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I glad Grigor has righted his ship somewhat. Grigor has been the bald headed stepchild of tennis for the past 12 plus years although he has ENJOYED if you know what I mean as far as being a tennis playboy.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Fritz was the best player today, for sure. And I'm not sure that Zverev was not at his best. I think his best is overrated.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Has Grigor recevied the memo that he is playing in a QF of a Grand Slam?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rallies are fine but not every damn point. If there are rallies every point then something is wrong with the surface. This is a problem for many years now with tennis. Tons of the players on tour win matches cos of fitness and not tennis shot making.
This comment is based on a bias. Players don't generally win rally points based on fitness, they win them based on tennis IQ and ability to close out a point. This is a lot more interesting that them winning serve after serve, or serve plus one. I'm not interested in tennis played on "glass" or carpet. I'm interested in the chess match between players.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The longer the match goes the better for Frances
It dosent worry me who wins :) Grigor is known to fold like a tent lets see how he fares, Serena was at his game the other day and gave him a pep talk and a big hug after he won
I have an appointment for a pedicure so I will record the match if it goes longer.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First set to Frances! Let's face it...the game has passed Dimitrov. Extra tools has never served him, without the will. And now Tiafoe has the tools, and the power.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
First set to Frances! Let's face it...the game has passed Dimitrov. Extra tools has never served him, without the will. And now Tiafoe has the tools, and the power.
Wasnt a good 1st set , Grigor made to many UFE and Frances didnt have to do much to win the 1st set
I can see this match going 3 sets
Grigor has used his "use by date" long ago :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Credit where it's due. Frances took it to him.
Gee Moxie stop being a Fan girl okay, I didnt expect Grigor to win this match, look at his UFE for starters? any other player would have won the 1st set, not named Frances lol!