US Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Based on what? He’s becoming Nobody. I don’t know if he needs to sack his coaches, or they need to sack him. He’s lost confidence completely but even without that, a strong spine will get a player further than he’s going…
Chris Evert didn't base it on anything

Reactions: Kieran

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_3812.jpeg
IMG_3813.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Chris Evert didn't base it on anything
They tend not to. Most commentators talk glibly, just spouting populist dross. I’d prefer if they made fewer positive statements and asked more questions. I keep going back to all the experts who passionlessly told us after yet another defeat that Tim Henman would definitely win Wimbledon some day. I thought even then, based on what? He’s depending on Sampras being taken out, but even then his troubles would only begin, as proved to be the case. Losses against Sampras somehow made commentators feel that Tim was next in line, though he never showed the pedigree of a champ at that level.

Few commentators are actually honest in what they say..

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
They tend not to. Most commentators talk glibly, just spouting populist dross. I’d prefer if they made fewer positive statements and asked more questions. I keep going back to all the experts who passionlessly told us after yet another defeat that Tim Henman would definitely win Wimbledon some day. I thought even then, based on what? He’s depending on Sampras being taken out, but even then his troubles would only begin, as proved to be the case. Losses against Sampras somehow made commentators feel that Tim was next in line, though he never showed the pedigree of a champ at that level.

Few commentators are actually honest in what they say..
I thought Tim Henman and Mark Philippoussis were going to win at least one Wimbledon each. They both had the game to do so, but were just unlucky. (Goran Ivanisevic would have beenin that group as well had he not pulled off one of the most unexpected slam runs in 2001.) Henman and Philippoussis just came around at the wrong time. Most of their primes was during the Sampras years, and then when Sampras was done, Federer came along.

Reactions: shawnbm and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought Tim Henman and Mark Philippoussis were going to win at least one Wimbledon each. They both had the game to do so, but were just unlucky. (Goran Ivanisevic would have beenin that group as well had he not pulled off one of the most unexpected slam runs in 2001.) Henman and Philippoussis just came around at the wrong time. Most of their primes was during the Sampras years, and then when Sampras was done, Federer came along.
They’re not players I’d think might win a slam. Remember, Henman won only 1 MS title in his career, same with Mark. There’s a whole nother level or two for them to have reached to become slam champions..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Both players Henman and Poo were lacking the consistency of having powerful groundstrokes that really put a lot of pressure on their opponents..yes they had occasionally big serves but nothing like Goran, Sampras, Edberg or the groundstrokes of Agassi and Hewitt. IMO

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
US Open Update:
OUT: Ruusuvuori ( illness)
IN: Cazaux ( LL will play against Ruble today)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Solid win from Berrettini defeating the 29th seed Humbert 64 62 62

Meddy didnt break a sweat winning 61 61 60 over Balazs

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
MM, All the called experts on TC and ESPN are picking Sinner to win the title.. I saw that Bodo picked him also ..What about the ultimate KOD Tignor picks?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
MM, All the called experts on TC and ESPN are picking Sinner to win the title.. I saw that Bodo picked him also ..What about the ultimate KOD Tignor picks?
The Kiss of death from Tignor I believe he picked Novak, I need to double check, yep Novak, I just checked again, look I would be delighted if my Italian youngster Sinner won, sorry I cant see that happening this year, his projected path QF Alcaraz SF Meddy and F Djokovic

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course Murray serving to win in straight sets is just too good to be true, though he does it 62 75 63 over Moutet, even Lendl had a half smile on his face.
With this win Andy Murray becomes the 8th man in the Open Era (since 1968) to win 200 major matches!

Last edited:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Regarding FAA from a few pages back, I don't know what's wrong with him - I know he's struggled with an injury and there's probably something mental going on. Sort of a lost year, really. But I suspect he'll bounce back.

I do think that if he was going to become an ATG we would have seen it already - even by last year. I mean, he's already 23, which should be well within his peak range. And this isn't slam-less Ivan Lendl at 23. By his 23rd birthday in March of 1983, Lendl had 33 titles to his name, including four Masters, two Tour Finals an an Alt Final (Dallas WCT). With Borg retired, he was one of the three best players on tour - probably having surpassed Connors for 2nd best by then. FAA isn't close to that league. This doesn't mean he doesn't have big titles or even a Slam or two in his future; who knows, though I'd be surprised if he doesn't win at least a Masters or two. But the ship has sailed on his greatness, imo - and that was clear a year ago or so, when he didn't build on his breakout 2021.

I see more of a Tsonga-type (or a later blooming Tsitsipas), but with more opportunities ahead of him, due to the absence of the Big Three. But I think that Alcaraz and Rune, and probably Sinner--and maybe younger guys like Fils--will all have significantly better careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.