US Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Regarding FAA from a few pages back, I don't know what's wrong with him - I know he's struggled with an injury and there's probably something mental going on. Sort of a lost year, really. But I suspect he'll bounce back.

I do think that if he was going to become an ATG we would have seen it already - even by last year. I mean, he's already 23, which should be well within his peak range. And this isn't slam-less Ivan Lendl at 23. By his 23rd birthday in March of 1983, Lendl had 33 titles to his name, including four Masters, two Tour Finals an an Alt Final (Dallas WCT). With Borg retired, he was one of the three best players on tour - probably having surpassed Connors for 2nd best by then. FAA isn't close to that league. This doesn't mean he doesn't have big titles or even a Slam or two in his future; who knows, though I'd be surprised if he doesn't win at least a Masters or two. But the ship has sailed on his greatness, imo - and that was clear a year ago or so, when he didn't build on his breakout 2021.

I see more of a Tsonga-type (or a later blooming Tsitsipas), but with more opportunities ahead of him, due to the absence of the Big Three. But I think that Alcaraz and Rune, and probably Sinner--and maybe younger guys like Fils--will all have significantly better careers.
It's really funny/strange how early promise flourishes, or doesn't. Felix has all the ingredients, and top-tier coaching.

Reactions: don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hurkacz in trouble. That seems surprising.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Gael is running low on fuel. .he is trying to shorten the points

I think LeMonf suffers from nerves and low blood sugar. It's hard to explain because we know how tremendously athletic he is but has issues with his conditioning which isn't cardio related if that makes sense..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos Alcaraz is going 'sleeveless' for the USO, thank God Zverev has decided to wear a tee shirt this year
Oh well I will have to watch 2 matches now, currently watching Sinner's match, he is leading 2 sets to love against Hanfmann
Jannik please dont attempt drop shots from the baseline you got away with that, other players you will Not

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Koepfer taking a MTO went over on his ankle? ( he is playing Alcaraz ) maybe he should have strapped his ankle a lot of tennis players do
Trainer is strapping his left ankle
Play contines as Alcaraz breaks immediately on the Koepfer serve

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
LeMonf match is a highlight reel. Y'all gonna love it..ESPN ladies and.a few of the guys gossip too much

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Koepfer had to retire early in the 2nd set, due to his ankle injury against Alcaraz
Sinner with a solid start with a SS win 63 61 61 over Hanfmann

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's really funny/strange how early promise flourishes, or doesn't. Felix has all the ingredients, and top-tier coaching.
I remembered he was well hyped when he was younger (15 or 16? yrs old) and we all thought he will do really well in the main tour.

It is why with these upcoming young players, I will be more patient with their development. Even Alcaraz, who is already great tennis player, I will be "patient" because at the end of the day, career development is different for every player.

I won't allow myself to compare the Big Three accomplishments and greatness to the future young players because it will just create some unrealistic expectations for myself as a fan, but also for those players.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mens singles round 1 and Nine seeds lost,
(4) Rune
(11) Khachanov
(15) Auger-Aliassime
(18) Musetti
(24) Griekspoor
(25) Bublik
(27) Coric
(29) Humbert
(31) Korda

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mens singles round 1 and Nine seeds lost,
(4) Rune
(11) Khachanov
(15) Auger-Aliassime
(18) Musetti
(24) Griekspoor
(25) Bublik
(27) Coric
(29) Humbert
(31) Korda
Griekspoor was the one of those that surprised me the most. Felix has his own issues, Rune, Khachanov and Korda injury issues. Coric was a coin-flip v. Baez (my coin got it wrong.) Definite upsides: Murray and Monfils won!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Griekspoor was the one of those that surprised me the most. Felix has his own issues, Rune, Khachanov and Korda injury issues. Coric was a coin-flip v. Baez (my coin got it wrong.) Definite upsides: Murray and Monfils won!
I also thought Griekspoor would have moved through he has been playing well of late., quite frankly I didnt think Rune would go far, also KK coming back from injury,, Baez playing well, I wasnt surprised Coric went out,.the two M's move on:)

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_3828.jpeg
IMG_3829.jpeg

Reactions: Kieran

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I've really come to feel that a huge part of it is mental - specifically, how badly you want it.

I was thinking about this with regards to a baseball. Anthony Rendon is a player who the Angels signed for a huge amount of money before 2020 (about $35M/year through 2026). He was healthy and good in 2020, but has been mostly injured since. He's got a blase attitude which some interpreted to him just being a cool, mellow guy. Others complained that it seemed like he didn't care. There is a recent "insider" rumor that he hates baseball. If true, this makes me think that the odds of him coming back to something close to his peak level (2017-20) are close to nil.

Here's why, imo: pro sports is played at an extremely high level and has tiny margins. Every little edge counts, and to play at the very highest level, you have to be extremely dedicated and work hard. You can't fake it. In truth, I think this is one of the main factors in the Big Three: they all have/had enormous drives to succeed (as well as the resources to support that).

None of that is particularly new, but I think it is a good reminder that might explain at least some of the young talents that disappoint. How much do they really want it? Fortunately, tennis doesn't have a salary structure like baseball, where you can sign a huge contract and then just coast for the remainder -- like Rendon, who makes his money as long as he doesn't retire. I suppose the tennis equivalent would be those players who are content being journeyman and making a good enough living doing so. But the guys who rise to the very top and stay there are probably always the guys who want it most and have the talent.

Obviously drive can only take you so far. We can see someone like David Ferrer, who probably maxed out his talent as much as humanly possible, but was never good enough to win a Slam (largely due to the unfortunate timing of his career). We can contrast this to Vitas Gerulaitis, who probably could have done more if he made different lifestyle choices.

This might be a factor with FAA. I honestly don't know. But I think it is a common factor in a lot of players. And related to it, is how a player responds to adversity - whether they keep fighting, again and again.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Regarding FAA from a few pages back, I don't know what's wrong with him - I know he's struggled with an injury and there's probably something mental going on. Sort of a lost year, really. But I suspect he'll bounce back.

I do think that if he was going to become an ATG we would have seen it already - even by last year. I mean, he's already 23, which should be well within his peak range. And this isn't slam-less Ivan Lendl at 23. By his 23rd birthday in March of 1983, Lendl had 33 titles to his name, including four Masters, two Tour Finals an an Alt Final (Dallas WCT). With Borg retired, he was one of the three best players on tour - probably having surpassed Connors for 2nd best by then. FAA isn't close to that league. This doesn't mean he doesn't have big titles or even a Slam or two in his future; who knows, though I'd be surprised if he doesn't win at least a Masters or two. But the ship has sailed on his greatness, imo - and that was clear a year ago or so, when he didn't build on his breakout 2021.

I see more of a Tsonga-type (or a later blooming Tsitsipas), but with more opportunities ahead of him, due to the absence of the Big Three. But I think that Alcaraz and Rune, and probably Sinner--and maybe younger guys like Fils--will all have significantly better careers.
Not to mention, in one of those years, I think it was 1981 or 1982, Lendl won 15 titles. That's just absurd. Not even Federer in his peak, in 2004 and 2006 (widely regarded as the two greatest seasons in the Open era), did he win that many titles in a year.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Not to mention, in one of those years, I think it was 1981 or 1982, Lendl won 15 titles. That's just absurd. Not even Federer in his peak, in 2004 and 2006 (widely regarded as the two greatest seasons in the Open era), did he win that many titles in a year.
Lendl was cleaning up lower level tournaments, for sure.

While it is a bit off topic, I'm not sure that the latter is true. 2006 is definitely consider one of the best, but I think 2004 is more top 10ish.

My vote for the best four seasons are, in chronological order: Laver 1969, McEnroe 1984, Federer 2006, Novak 2015. As far as Federer's 04, I might actually rank 05 and 07 ahead of it.

Reactions: britbox
Status
Not open for further replies.