US Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Shelton with a nice recovery for the win.

Anyhow see the Thiem match? The score looks relatively dominant. Would love to see him bounce back.

Reactions: Kieran and kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Watching Carballs Baena taking on Rune, I didnt realise he has such a good 1st serve, solid fhand, 1 set all, though Baena has a break in the 3rd set,Baena leads 4-1 3rd set. Rune making too many UFE at times in this match, especially in the 1st set, Patrick M is in his box
Rune has the trainer out, something going on in his left leg, getting a massage at present, having trouble pushing off his left in his service action..
Play continues., Rune gets the break back on serve in the 3rd set.
Baena breaks back to love and will serve for the 3rd set 5-3, Baena wins 63 also David Ferrer in his box watching
Baena leads Rune 2 sets to 1

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Watching Carballs Baena taking on Rune, I didnt realise he has such a good 1st serve, solid fhand, 1 set all, though Baena has a break in the 3rd set,Baena leads 4-1 3rd set. Rune making too many UFE at times in this match, especially in the 1st set, Patrick M is in his box
Rune has the trainer out, something going on in his left leg, getting a massage at present, having trouble pushing off his left in his service action..
Play continues., Rune gets the break back on serve in the 3rd set.
Baena breaks back to love and will serve for the 3rd set 5-3, Baena wins 63 also David Ferrer in his box watching
Baena leads Rune 2 sets to 1
Is Rune playing with some injury? I have Ruud and Tiafoe on TV, not much interested in those matches.

• Wow

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Is Rune playing with some injury? I have Ruud and Tiafoe on TV, not much interested in those matches.
Rune had the trainer out for his left leg, behind his knee, got a massage, his movement appears okay to me, Rune hasnt had much HC play leading into the USO, it has shown, also too many UFE in his game, though I have to give credit to Baena he has played really well
Baena has just broken Rune early in the 4th set and leads 3-1

Last edited:
  • Wow

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rune had the trainer out for his left leg, got a massage, his movement appears okay to me, Rune hasnt had much HC play leading into the USO, it has shown, also too many UFE in his game, though I have to give credit to Baena he has played really well
Baena has just broken Rune early in the 4th set and leads 3-1
I tought Baena is a classic clay courter. I just looked him up, he hasn't played a single HC match during US summer until now. Type of player that Rune should be able to put down, in fact perfect opponent in R1 for Rune who is struggling with form (or health too?). He hasn't beaten anybody since Dimitrov in Wimbledon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I tought Baena is a classic clay courter. I just looked him up, he hasn't played a single HC match during US summer until now. Type of player that Rune should be able to put down, in fact perfect opponent in R1 for Rune who is struggling with form (or health too?). He hasn't beaten anybody since Dimitrov in Wimbledon.
I also thought Baena played a lot of challenger tournaments as well, if my memory is correct, he has a great serve, which has been a high light of his play today
Agree with your thoughts Rune should be able to defeat him, though not the case today
Baena just broke Rune to love
Baena will now serve for the match 5-2 this will be his first win over a Top 5 player

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carbelles Baena gets the biggest win of his career defeating the 5th seed Rune in 4 sets 63 46 63 62
A well deserved win,!

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
I also thought Baena played a lot of challenger tournaments as well, if my memory is correct, he has a great serve, which has been a high light of his play today
Agree with your thoughts Rune should be able to defeat him, though not the case today
Baena just broke Rune to love
Baena will now serve for the match 5-2 this will be his first win over a Top 5 player
Who did you pick to win the GS on both sides ?

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rune is out.

Carballes Baena d. Rune, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
I think Rune is mentally at some dark place right now. He should eat Baena for breakfast. He can't beat a soul since the loss against Alcaraz. If I remember well he already had something similar to this when lost several consecutive matches, but he was much younger then.

IMG_20230828_214352.jpg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Rune is mentally at some dark place right now. He should eat Baena for breakfast. He can't beat a soul since the loss against Alcaraz. If I remember well he already had something similar to this when lost several consecutive matches, but he was much younger then.

View attachment 8700
He has had some injury concerns, maybe a reason he has lost his confidence on court, usually he is very confident young man, losing matches recently probably has put him 'mentally in a dark place".

Status
Not open for further replies.