US Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As a Sinner fan, I would love for Dimitrov to beat Zverev tonight.
Not having looked at the H2H's why would you prefer Dimitrov? I find them both to be folders in the big moments. It would be interesting to see who prevails tonight. I wrote Dimitrov off a long time ago. If Zverev can't pull this off, I'm going to feel his chances going forward in his career are dire, too. (Relative to level and expectation, I mean.)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
As a Sinner fan, I would love for Dimitrov to beat Zverev tonight.

I missed Norrie! WTF happened to him? He forget how to play? Going out in straights at this point to someone unseeded doesn't help his confidence! Maybe he just wasn't up to the challenge after that one win over Alcaraz in the next round! Too bad he wasn't in the bottom half of the draw! I wanted Djokovic to have another crack at him after hitting him unnecessarily in their Rome match! I like Grigor, but he had his time! Sascha deserve his shot after that crippling injury last season! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I missed Norrie! WTF happened to him? He forget how to play? Going out in straights at this point to someone unseeded doesn't help his confidence! Maybe he just wasn't up to the challenge after that one win over Alcaraz in the next round! Too bad he wasn't in the bottom half of the draw! I wanted Djokovic to have another crack at him after hitting him unnecessarily in their Rome match! I like Grigor, but he had his time! Sascha deserve his shot after that crippling injury last season! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:
I didn't see it, either, but Norrie has not been trending, of late.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not having looked at the H2H's why would you prefer Dimitrov? I find them both to be folders in the big moments. It would be interesting to see who prevails tonight. I wrote Dimitrov off a long time ago. If Zverev can't pull this off, I'm going to feel his chances going forward in his career are dire, too. (Relative to level and expectation, I mean.)
Because Zverev while mentally weak has the game that can annoy Sinner’s game.

Also, the H2H is 3-1 in favor of Zverev.

It will definitely be a tricky matchup for Sinner

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Because Zverev while mentally weak has the game that can annoy Sinner’s game.

Also, the H2H is 3-1 in favor of Zverev.

It will definitely be a tricky matchup for Sinner
I hear you. Personally, as a fan of neither Zverev nor Dimitrov, I was at least happy to see Zverev get fired up when he lost that first serve on a time violation and turned it into productive aggression on the court. Both of those guys need some kind of kick in the pants, and this one seems to have motivated Zverev. Don't worry...he'll fold v. Sinner. :)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hear you. Personally, as a fan of neither Zverev nor Dimitrov, I was at least happy to see Zverev get fired up when he lost that first serve on a time violation and turn it into productive aggression on the court. Both of those guys need some kind of kick in the pants, and this one seems to have motivated Zverev. Don't worry...he'll fold v. Sinner. :)
While I want Zverev to fold against Sinner, it would even better if Sinner beats Zverev with no mercy!

As a Sinner fan and the way his career being developed as of right now, the only three players that Sinner is not a “favorite” are Alcaraz, Djokovic and Medvedev (at least on HC).

Outside of those three players, Sinner should feast on other players. That’s why I will be disappointed if Sinner can’t beat Zverev on Monday. No excuses from Sinner at all

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dimitrov is starting to look a bit old out there. Weary.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
While I want Zverev to fold against Sinner, it would even better if Sinner beats Zverev with no mercy!

As a Sinner fan and the way his career being developed as of right now, the only three players that Sinner is not a “favorite” are Alcaraz, Djokovic and Medvedev (at least on HC).

Outside of those three players, Sinner should feast on other players. That’s why I will be disappointed if Sinner can’t beat Zverev on Monday. No excuses from Sinner at all
Absolutely better to get a good win in a decent fight. And Zverev, is, on paper, a decent opponent. I honestly just think that Sinner cares more, or certainly doesn't take it for granted and get petulant when things aren't coming. Bring it on! It definitely looks like it will be Zverev.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I missed Norrie! WTF happened to him? He forget how to play? Going out in straights at this point to someone unseeded doesn't help his confidence!
Matteo Arnaldi has been one of the youngsters I’ve been watching this year. He’s a neat kid with potential. He beat Arthur Fils in the previous round, a brutal 5 setter where both guys were crushing the ball. That he went out and took Norrie down in straight sets is pretty impressive. Looking forward to see whether Matteo folds or goes all in against Alcaraz. There won’t be any upsets, but it would be great to see him playing his best.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for thinking of me! We did have good seats, but they are always on the sunny side, so, while it was a very lovely summer day in NY...not too hot, not humid, and breezy, it's always going to be hot sitting in the sun for several hours.
Glad to hear you got good seats. Sitting in the sun for a few hours is never easy, you kind of just have to endure it. You move to a shade after a few hours and you feel like you changed a climate zone. You've got to see a most exciting player on the tour right now and that's priceless.

A few notes from the front:

* Alcaraz v. Evans was very entertaining. Alcaraz can certainly put on a show. Evans won some entertaining points, too, and a couple of times they both had a laugh. Generally, though, Evans is inclined to be grumpy. Charly has yet to find his game completely, but, boy...when he does!
I missed some action in the first 2 sets, but watched 3rd and 4th. The quality of tennis was high and it was really an entertaining match. Alcaraz pulled of a few unbelievable shots and Evans was really hanging in there, kudos to him for putting up a good fight. Players now just bend down against Alcaraz, like a certain Greek.
* As to Alcaraz's grunting: I know a few have commented, even to the extent it could be hinderence. I know @Kieran has said as much. He doesn't grunt on every point, and when he does, it's just before his swing. If anything, it telegraphs that the change-of-pace is coming. He doesn't grunt on neutral rally shots. But when he changes pace, he grunts. Before the shot. And those shots are breathtaking.
That's interesting. I'll pay more attention when I watch him next time. Basically when he grunts you know a bomb is coming your way.
* This was my first live match with no lines people. I hate to say it, but you don't miss them. The lines are called electronically, and you can still challenge, but it does seem to keep things moving.
Yes, the flow of the game is way better without the wrong line calls.
* We did try to go to Armstrong for the Sinner/Wawrinka match. It was at the change after the Keys match. We got in, but it was crowded trying to get in, and my friend was already over-heated from sitting at Ashe for so long.
That's a pity. Stan also put up a good fight, but he has really become too slow. You just need to move him around the court and he is done. I don't think he won a point while chasing the dropshots. He still has good shots, but his movement is woeful. Well he is 38.5 years old already...
I'm happy I got to see Charly live, and we did have fun. I got back in time to see that last 2 sets of Sinner d. Wawrinka on my stream. I hadn't realized he had a "Carota Squad" following him around. They are insane. It has to be hot inside of those costumes.
Carota squad probably lost a few kilos through sweat in those costumes. I would feel claustrophobic wearing that thing. Didn't know they are following Sinner.

Reactions: Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was not impressed with Sinner yesterday, but he got the job done. He will have to up his level against Zverev who can actually move around the court unlike Stan. German seems to be playing his best tennis since the injury and has a lot to prove here too. I picked Zverev to win this match, but Sinner is a slight favorite.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_3890.jpeg
IMG_3891.jpeg

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm quite happy for the Borna Gojo, a fellow Croatian who's been around for a while and got his breakthrough moment now. Will be in top 100 after USO which is a big deal for him as he stagnated between 100-200 for a few years. Now gets to play Novak on the biggest stage tonight and a good paycheck.

Reactions: tented

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was not impressed with Sinner yesterday, but he got the job done. He will have to up his level against Zverev who can actually move around the court unlike Stan. German seems to be playing his best tennis since the injury and has a lot to prove here too. I picked Zverev to win this match, but Sinner is a slight favorite.
The most important thing for Sinner is that he got the job done, that is all matters.

You are right that Zverev is a different matchup. It is why I am curious on what Cahill and the coaching team will come up with tomorrow.

One thing that I noticed in the match is that Sinner came to the net more so we will see if Sinner will do that again against Zverev.

Reactions: don_fabio

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I'm quite happy for the Borna Gojo, a fellow Croatian who's been around for a while and got his breakthrough moment now. Will be in top 100 after USO which is a big deal for him as he stagnated between 100-200 for a few years. Now gets to play Novak on the biggest stage tonight and a good paycheck.
Speaking of fellow Croatians, I noticed Mektic and Pavic both lost in the second round of doubles. They had some great winning streaks, so I wonder if they’ll get together again at some point?

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Speaking of fellow Croatians, I noticed Mektic and Pavic both lost in the second round of doubles. They had some great winning streaks, so I wonder if they’ll get together again at some point?
I'm not sure. I see they are still struggling after they split. Doubles is a little bit like a marriage, you don't separate if it gets bad for a while. It's not like they are going to find better partners and they already know each other very well, could have continued together. I always thought they will be next Cabal/Farah or similar.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Ben Shelton just took the first set against Tommy Paul. Hopefully Tommy regroups and wins in 4.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Once Ben Shelton becomes more discipline/patient during the rallies, he will be a force to be reckon with in the future! Also, if he does reaches the US Open SF, he will be in the Top 20 once the US Open tournament is done.

Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.