US Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm surprised to see that Carlos is playing daytime again today. Supposed to be really hot and humid. Maybe being 16 years younger than Djoker, the organizers figured that he needs some handicaps, and the harder draw wasn't quite enough? :lulz1:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know it doesn't sound like much, 4th round of a major, but the guys a struggling out there, fighting and trying to make a living from tennis. It's brutal in a way. Now he moved to 76th place, it gets a bit easier from here, direct entrances to a lot of ATP tournaments and majors.

Several guys in 4th round this year USO who had their small breakthrough moment and first time that far in a major. Arnaldi, Stricker, Draper, Hijikata. They are happy as babies for reaching that far.
Oh, no...that's not what I meant. I meant it was surprising that that was Novak's 4th round opponent. Basically because what little competition there ever was in the bottom half is mostly gone early. Let's face it: Alcaraz had Evans, Sinner had Stan, and that was the THIRD round for the top half.

Totally appreciate what 4th round of a Major means to the journeymen out there trying to make a career of it...less fretting over money, better ranking, etc.

Reactions: don_fabio

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_3897.jpeg
IMG_3898.jpeg

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm surprised to see that Carlos is playing daytime again today. Supposed to be really hot and humid. Maybe being 16 years younger than Djoker, the organizers figured that he needs some handicaps, and the harder draw wasn't quite enough?
Maybe if Novak wasn’t playing Taylor Fritz, it may have been a day match.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, no...that's not what I meant. I meant it was surprising that that was Novak's 4th round opponent. Basically because what little competition there ever was in the bottom half is mostly gone early. Let's face it: Alcaraz had Evans, Sinner had Stan, and that was the THIRD round for the top half.
Yeah, that's a fact. Bottom draw turned out to be really weak compared to the top half.

Reactions: Fiero425 and tented

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Yeah, that's a fact. Bottom draw turned out to be really weak compared to the top half.

Embarrassingly weak is the word! It's probably happened before, but this is the lamest draw for a #2 seed that I can recall! Nole toyed w/ his compatriot in the 3rd round allowing him to go ahead 2 sets to love before clubbing him in the last 3 sets! In the 4th, Goja has weapons, but Novak eliminated the guy with little effort! I missed it, but hightlights showed he was run around like a chicken with his head cut off as Djokovic hit line after line! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am interested to see how my Italian Matteo will fare against Charly, really happy and surprised he has made it this far
Charly has a strapping on his left thigh? probably just a precaution, movement appears fine

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What a 'sic' shot from Charly, lol! what a balanced volley
Ben Stiller in the house, he loves his tennis
John Mac back in commentary, after testing positive for COVID
Robbie Koening who is a commie on this match, said that Charly as a junior was coming to the net around age 8? he is soo comfortable in the mid court

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What a 'sic' shot from Charly, lol! what a balanced volley
Ben Stillar in the house, he loves his tennis
John Mac back in commentary, after testing positive for COVID
Watching Alcaraz is really an experience. A guy has every shot in his arsenal that you can imagine and even beyond. He is so confident on the court it's scary for his opponents.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Watching Alcaraz is really an experience. A guy has every shot in his arsenal that you can imagine and even beyond. He is so confident on the court it's scary for his opponents.
Don,
Agree, I just sit back in amazement at times, he is just 20 years old, scary good I have run out of words to describe him.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He is showing his arsenal in this match:) shot making galore at present
My poor Italian is just an observer in this match :)
Yes, shot making is just insane. I think it was wise from the organizers to put this match during the day, this will just be another beat down.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think it was wise from the organizers to put this match during the day, this will just be another beat down.
Agree, Matteo' idol is Novak btw, he has a long way to go to play like Novak, he is 22 years old looks like 13 years old to me:)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What a top spin lob from Charly
This match has been played in good spirits, both players smiling at each other
Order is restored, Charly breaks back immediately

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
On Armstrong,