Not open for further replies.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_3884.jpeg

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm just watching the replay, 3 sets so far, doing some chores too. Djere played excellent tennis 1st set, not much Novak could do. 2nd set Novak upped his level, but Djere was still too solid from the baseline, forcing mistakes from Novak. 3set Novak took care of business, cleaned up his game a lot and Djere dipped. Now early in 4th Novak is fully back in this match with an early break.
It was a really good match. It wasn’t a rollercoaster like many of Novak’s matches can be. He was playing well, striking the ball well, but Djere was on a whole other level. He pushed Novak off the baseline with the depth and angle of his shots. It wasn’t until the beginning of the third set that Novak was able to push his way back to the baselline and reestablish himself. It was Novak upping his game a level. Later, Djere began to dip - lost confidence, lost air, and tired legs. Djere played his best tennis for the better part of three sets.

Reactions: don_fabio

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Evans finally capitalizes on one of the many break chances he’s had. 2-6, 2-0. Expect Carlos to steal it back now.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Evans can't believe it again what shot Alcaraz made on the run and he got broken in the 4th set. Evans body language says it all, as if he is telling how on earth is this possible.

Reactions: Moxie and nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Robby Koenig mentioned Sinner was holding his back as though something were amiss. I haven’t noticed.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s easy to see from this match why Evans has never lost a set against Djokovic, ever. But today, Carlitos was just too much for him. :clap:

• Haha
Reactions: nehmeth

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Stan is in the zone in this 2nd set.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
. :good: You are correct, as they only ever played once, and Danny won both sets in that match.

Yes indeed. Pushing doesn’t work against Evans, it takes someone like Alcaraz who is offensive and can hit him out of the court.

• Haha
Reactions: nehmeth

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great set of tennis in the 3rd and what an effort from Evans to steal the set. I hope @Moxie is over there on Ashe enjoying this, hopefully on the good seats.
Thanks for thinking of me! We did have good seats, but they are always on the sunny side, so, while it was a very lovely summer day in NY...not too hot, not humid, and breezy, it's always going to be hot sitting in the sun for several hours. And, as I have mentioned before, since they put the roof on, it's a bit more airless. (Another thing I think they changed is that the roof took out the cheap nose-bleed seats. I can't swear to that...just my eye-test and memory.)

A few notes from the front:

* Alcaraz v. Evans was very entertaining. Alcaraz can certainly put on a show. Evans won some entertaining points, too, and a couple of times they both had a laugh. Generally, though, Evans is inclined to be grumpy. Charly has yet to find his game completely, but, boy...when he does!

* As to Alcaraz's grunting: I know a few have commented, even to the extent it could be hinderence. I know @Kieran has said as much. He doesn't grunt on every point, and when he does, it's just before his swing. If anything, it telegraphs that the change-of-pace is coming. He doesn't grunt on neutral rally shots. But when he changes pace, he grunts. Before the shot. And those shots are breathtaking.

* This was my first live match with no lines people. I hate to say it, but you don't miss them. The lines are called electronically, and you can still challenge, but it does seem to keep things moving.

* I also didn't seem to notice the coaching from the side.

* We did try to go to Armstrong for the Sinner/Wawrinka match. It was at the change after the Keys match. We got in, but it was crowded trying to get in, and my friend was already over-heated from sitting at Ashe for so long. The crowd control consisted of a lot of shouting from the US Open monitors, and massive amounts of people trying to get to the upper deck to General Admission. Armstrong used to be a completely open stadium, with a lot more entrances. Now, they funnel the crowds through just one, as far as I can tell. They sell tickets to Armstrong, which I guess are numbered, for the lower tier, while the upper decks are open seating. But I have to say, they are not controlling the crowds very well. My friend said she was too hot to deal with it, but I should go ahead. I stood in this massive crowd for a minute, thinking I'd see if i could get us both seats, but it really was too crazy to deal with, plus part of the experience is to share it with your friend, so I bailed out, too.

I'm happy I got to see Charly live, and we did have fun. I got back in time to see that last 2 sets of Sinner d. Wawrinka on my stream. I hadn't realized he had a "Carota Squad" following him around. They are insane. It has to be hot inside of those costumes.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for thinking of me! We did have good seats, but they are always on the sunny side, so, while it was a very lovely summer day in NY...not too hot, not humid, and breezy, it's always going to be hot sitting in the sun for several hours. And, as I have mentioned before, since they put the roof on, it's a bit more airless. (Another thing I think they changed is that the roof took out the cheap nose-bleed seats. I can't swear to that...just my eye-test and memory.)

A few notes from the front:

* Alcaraz v. Evans was very entertaining. Alcaraz can certainly put on a show. Evans won some entertaining points, too, and a couple of times they both had a laugh. Generally, though, Evans is inclined to be grumpy. Charly has yet to find his game completely, but, boy...when he does!

* As to Alcaraz's grunting: I know a few have commented, even to the extent it could be hinderence. I know @Kieran has said as much. He doesn't grunt on every point, and when he does, it's just before his swing. If anything, it telegraphs that the change-of-pace is coming. He doesn't grunt on neutral rally shots. But when he changes pace, he grunts. Before the shot. And those shots are breathtaking.

* This was my first live match with no lines people. I hate to say it, but you don't miss them. The lines are called electronically, and you can still challenge, but it does seem to keep things moving.

* I also didn't seem to notice the coaching from the side.

* We did try to go to Armstrong for the Sinner/Wawrinka match. It was at the change after the Keys match. We got in, but it was crowded trying to get in, and my friend was already over-heated from sitting at Ashe for so long. The crowd control consisted of a lot of shouting from the US Open monitors, and massive amounts of people trying to get to the upper deck to General Admission. Armstrong used to be a completely open stadium, with a lot more entrances. Now, they funnel the crowds through just one, as far as I can tell. They sell tickets to Armstrong, which I guess are numbered, for the lower tier, while the upper decks are open seating. But I have to say, they are not controlling the crowds very well. My friend said she was too hot to deal with it, but I should go ahead. I stood in this massive crowd for a minute, thinking I'd see if i could get us both seats, but it really was too crazy to deal with, plus part of the experience is to share it with your friend, so I bailed out, too.

I'm happy I got to see Charly live, and we did have fun. I got back in time to see that last 2 sets of Sinner d. Wawrinka on my stream. I hadn't realized he had a "Carota Squad" following him around. They are insane. It has to be hot inside of those costumes.
I will definitely go to Indian Wells next year then. I need to watch Sinner live in practice AND in an official match!

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Good win from Sinner today. If he wins on Monday, he will reach a career high ranking of 5 on September 11, Monday.
One more win from Sinner and Alcaraz gets us another chapter of the rivalry. (It's going to be tough to top last year's match, unless Sinner gets revenge in an epic 5 setter.)

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev certainly doesn't want to lose to the Clown Prince of the previous generation. Can he take the 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.