US Open 2023 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Surprised that French WC Bonzi defeated Chris Eubanks (28) in 4 sets to advance to the 3rd round, 76(6) 26 62 76(7)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Looks like there is some flu circulating around. I am curious for Thiem's explanation if there was something else. Some say he struggled to breathe and maybe it was an anxiety attack? Eubanks felt ill today and sadly lost to Bonzi. Jabeur was battling illness yesterday, but she managed to win.
Don,
Jabeur also suffers from asthma so the humid conditions didnt help her cause at all., struggling to breathe

Reactions: don_fabio

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Surprised that French WC Bonzi defeated Chris Eubanks (28) in 4 sets to advance to the 3rd round, 76(6) 26 62 76(7)
He played an excellent (and very fun to watch) match against Halys. High level from both guys. I didn’t get to see today’s match, but if he brought the same level against Eubanks, I’m not surprised at all.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He played an excellent (and very fun to watch) match against Halys. High level from both guys. I didn’t get to see today’s match, but if he brought the same level against Eubanks, I’m not surprised at all.
I have only seen him play a few times, I watched the last set, he was at a good level, thanks for your input

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Really good win from Aussie WC Ricky Hijikata, who played an excellent match and winning in SS over Fucsovics 61 62 61, he was on from the first point of the match and didnt allow Fucsovics into the match

Reactions: nehmeth

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh Dear, I guess it would not last,

Tsitsipas tweeted he will no longer be working with Mark P, apparently it was a 'trial run' for Toronto, Cinncy and USO
Stef made R2 in Canada and USO and R3 in Cinncy
Stef said he thought his movement was lagging in his match against Stricker, a reason for his loss

Last edited:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh Dear, I guess it would not last,

Tsitsipas tweeted he will no longer be working with Mark P, apparently it was a 'trial run' for Toronto, Cinncy and USO
Stef made R2 in Canada and USO and R3 in Cinncy
Stef said he thought his movement was lagging in his match against Stricker, a reason for his loss
I guess he must be reading the TF commentary

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Really good win from Aussie WC Ricky Hijikata, who played an excellent match and winning in SS over Fucsovics 61 62 61, he was on from the first point of the match and didnt allow Fucsovics into the match
I was in shock when I turned the match on. I was asking my son, ”Who’s that kid knocking the snot out of Fucsovics?!?”

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was in shock when I turned the match on. I was asking my son, ”Who’s that kid knocking the snot out of Fucsovics?!?”
He is a good young Kid and comes from Sydney when I live, he practices when he is at home at a tennis club near me

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Seriously, though, I think you’re spot on. He (and Medvedev and Zverev) were all affected by those GS losses. I can only imagine the nightmares, knowing I was 2-0 up, and had three chances to win just one more set — and completely blew it.
To be fair to both Medvedev and Zverev, they have won big titles (outside of Slams) even after their horrific GS Final losses from two sets up. Tsitsipas is another different story.

Tsitsipas just can't seem to be consistent enough to win a title outside of Slams. Just think of this: Since 2021 RG Final, Tsitsipas has won three titles. In a span of two years, he has won three titles. For a top ten player, that's underwhelming!

Zverev won 2 Masters 1000 titles and the ATP Tour Final in 2021.

Medvedev has rebounded well after 2023 AO tournament. He has won 5 titles (6 finals) this year alone!

Reactions: tented and Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
To be fair to both Medvedev and Zverev, they have won big titles (outside of Slams) even after their horrific GS Final losses from two sets up. Tsitsipas is another different story.

Tsitsipas just can't seem to be consistent enough to win a title outside of Slams. Just think of this: Since 2021 RG Final, Tsitsipas has won three titles. In a span of two years, he has won three titles. For a top ten player, that's underwhelming!

Zverev won 2 Masters 1000 titles and the ATP Tour Final in 2021.

Medvedev has rebounded well after 2023 AO tournament. He has won 5 titles (6 finals) this year alone!

Funny, so much's made of Olympic Gold & the fact Novak doesn't have one! Sascha does have 1; actually def. Novak in the process! NOTHING! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Watched the 1st set of the match between Ruud and Zhang Zhizhen who was taking his game hard and fast to Ruud
Zhang is leading 2 sets to 1
Ruud just bageled Zhang in the 4trh set :)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ruud is out and will lose 1200 points and will drop down to No 9 at least
Zhang is the first Chinese player in history to defeat a Top 5 player 64 57 62 06 62

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Casper down doub break in the decider 4-1. About to ghost these 1200 points :negative:

Shocking; NOT! I think Ruud was lucky to defend those FO points! I knew he wouldn't make it here in NY! The comp. is tough & seeds are getting knocked out left & right! From the 1st round you have to be ready! Strange that they keep saying the era is weak just because Novak's still at the top of the ranks at 36 years old! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ruud will drop to No 9 at best ,left NYC last year at No 2
Ruud will have to make a big push for the end of year finals in November

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Dominic Thiem said before he took to the court for his match against Ben Shelton he 'threw up' and felt unsettled in the match before he had to retire, also his breathing became a problem.
Lot of illness around the USO this year

Status
Not open for further replies.