Upset Corner - Wimbledon 2018 Edition

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Shortman is seeded high due to his overall results. But, he is not good on grass. He exited in the first round for the last three years in a row. In fact before Tuesday, Shortman has won zero grass matches in his whole life. Also, his counterpunching game is not suitable for grass. So, I would give his upset a lot better chance than a coin flip.
Good points on the Schwartzman match.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My additions to the list (C for Chris):
C4. Lopez def DelPo (5)
C5. Tomic def Nishikori (24)
Reason for C4 is: L-handed Feliciano looks in good form & can be difficult for R-handed DelPo
Reason for C5 is: the brat looks to be coming back and his game style is effective against Nishi. Their H2H record is tied
Those could both be tricky matches.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One more:
C6: Paire def Shapo (26)
Benoit was in very good grass form (Fed match in Halle) while Shapo is erratic esp. in best-of-5 and will be tired after his previous round finished late.
This one is very possible. Both are unpredictable, but Shapo is too young and too undisciplined. I won't be shocked if Paire snags him.

Reactions: Chris Koziarz

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
We got 22 Gentlemen's singles on tap for Day 4 (including six that are continuations of today's matches).

I project three upsets for Day 4 listed in order of confidence.

1. Alex De Minaur to take out Herbert (both unseeded, though just 8 spots difference in rankings).
2. Gulbis to oust seed #27 Dzumhur
3. J. Vesely to oust seed #15 Shortman

I am 3 out of 3 today. Do you folks think, I should quit my day job? :p

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
I predict Edmund takes out fakervic.

And going with De Minaur for the upset to save tennis and humanity.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Edmund will play Nole. Could there be an upset here?

I don't think so. Novak did not just win his two matches, he actually decimated the opponents. Today, his win was as easy as 1,2 and 3.
Edmund is the only British player (man or woman) left. So, he would feel tremendous pressure. Also, he is not the type of player who can incite the crowd and then feed off from the energy.

However, Novak called a trainer in the third set when the match was about to be over. It got extended to full MTO and he got his thighs worked out. Not clear what the issue is and if so, is it any serious. Unless the issue is serious, I give Kyle 0 chances to win. Also, this is the first time Edmund has reached third round in Wimbledon.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Today, we had four upsets of seeded players, including a Biggie that no one saw coming.

1. #3 seed Cilic taken out by clay courter Pella in five sets.
2. #14 seed Schwartzman ousted by Vesely in straight sets.
3. #26 seed, teenager Shapovalov sent home by Paire, though he first needed to eat a Bagel for extra energy.
3. #27 seed and Antalya Champ Dzumhur shown the door by qualifier Gulbis.

Also, Alex De Minaur upset doubles player Herbert (who had previously upset Mischa).

At the end of 4 days, the number of seeds strewn around stand at 16. For perspective, that is actually 50% of total number of seeds.:negative:

........and we have an unfinished match with an upset brewing :popcorn

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
One more:
C6: Paire def Shapo (26)
Benoit was in very good grass form (Fed match in Halle) while Shapo is erratic esp. in best-of-5 and will be tired after his previous round finished late.

Chris, Good call on Shapo upset. :clap:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I project ZERO upsets on matches that are starting on day 5 in Men's side. However, I do project one upset for Day 5 (even though it is sort of like cheating).

1. Fritz ousts Sasha.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think the delay will hurt Taylor. Sascha has time to think about it, get coaching and devise a plan

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think the delay will hurt Taylor. Sascha has time to think about it, get coaching and devise a plan

No doubt, it would have been better for Taylor if it had continued as he had momentum. But, as much as Sasha is weak physically, Taylor is weaker than Sasha. In that sense, the break will be good for Taylor. Moreover, Sasha does not have room for error any more.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Chris, Good call on Shapo upset. :clap:

This one is very possible. Both are unpredictable, but Shapo is too young and too undisciplined. I won't be shocked if Paire snags him.

Also credit to Moxie who reinforced Shapo upset. The other two upsets I tried, looked not very likely to her, and indeed didn't happen.

Reactions: Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Like 2 days ago, I say let's pay close attention to the match featuring the young American, McDonald. He plays Pella, the surprising winner over Marin.
This could go either way I think.
Hard to believe that one of them makes the 4 round at Wimbledon.