Upset Corner - Wimbledon 2018 Edition

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
We've had Ziraffe here. Funny. Also Kandy has been used. "Dull" I think, personally, is awful AND unimaginative. As well as not applicable. I thought your requirement was that it not be insulting. There I think you have your own blinkers on. But I'm inspired...I'll be working on my own.

:lulz1:

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
We were talking about art as a whole. I agree that word-play is a form of art but if you're speaking about word-play being a form of art it's unfair if you don't give credit to the master of word-play (in my opinion) who was a great playwright & wrote beautiful sonnets too. I'm talking about the guy whose works introduced me to word-play when I 1st had to study 1 of them when I was 13 & had to study 1 of his most famous plays which I loved. It's none other than William Shakespeare. The play I 1st studied was Romeo & Juliet. It was very funny in parts though gory & tragic in others. What I find amazing is you'd think the lines that stuck to me most would be "Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?" or "What light through yonder window breaks? It is the moon & Juliet is the sun" but they're not. The lines that stick to me most are "I'll look to like if looking liking move but no more deep will I endart mine eye than your consent give strength to make it fly" & "What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." I know the quotes I chose aren't examples of puns but they're good examples of writing being used as an art form & beautiful & I thought if we were talking about word-play being an art form we had to give credit to the master too. I'm very sorry for bringing this subject off topic but felt the need to say this.
Master's word play is at totally different level, than we poor punters are trying to come up with. Thanks for bringing it in to put the value of my words in perspective. You don't need to feel sorry for that.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Master's word play is at totally different level, than we poor punters are trying to come up with. Thanks for bringing it in to put the value of my words in perspective. You don't need to feel sorry for that.
It definitely is. There are some very clever word-players here but I'd class Shakespeare as a literary genius. I learnt a lot about word-play from reading Romeo & Juliet though some of his puns in that play were bawdy & I keep things clean. I like some of his other plays but that's my favourite play of his & I absolutely love his sonnets. You're welcome. O.K. I need to learn to be less apologetic & self-critical.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Manic Monday is over, even though one of the scheduled matches is not.

It is a great day and is the first upset free day on Men's side. :clap:

OK. it is time to gaze into my crystal ball.

My ball is very opaque and I can't see anything inside. Hence, I project an upset free Wednesday.
I understand if you don't feel like recognizing that you didn't forsee the big upset, especially because it involved your favorite.
KA is getting better although tonight is tough to be admitted by Fedfans ( not you, as I saw your appreciative posting). At the same time Roger does not play as well as he used to, his reflexes and anticipation are not as they used to be.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I understand if you don't feel like recognizing that you didn't forsee the big upset, especially because it involved your favorite.

It is not about not recognizing. It just appeared redundant and pedantic to record the mother of all upsets as the entire world already knew about it.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is not about not recognizing. It just appeared redundant and pedantic to record the mother of all upsets as the entire world already knew about it.
Ok, got it. For the record, it is still worth mentioning it, and after all, Roger had tougher losses before than this IMO.
KA is still a top 10 player, while Robredo surely wasn't, when he upset Roger at the USO.

Reactions: Chris Koziarz

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Ok, got it. For the record, it is still worth mentioning it, and after all, Roger had tougher losses before than this IMO.
KA is still a top 10 player, while Robredo surely wasn't, when he upset Roger at the USO.
the mother of all upsets

Emotions of the "mother of all upsets" have subsided a little, and, following herios, we now open our eyes and look at it in due perspective.It's not the biggest loss by Roger in wimby. Think Stakhovsky. Further, Fed's demise is not the biggest ATP upset of this year's wimby, IMO. I'm sure most people agree with me here, when they look back how Cilic lost to Pella in the 2nd. That was an identical (or even bigger) loss by Cilic who blew the very comfortable, 6-3 6-1 dominating lead. Don't forget that Cilic was 3 seed and on punter's papers right behind Fed in his chances to win the title. So his loss in the 2nd to a player ranked 83, must be more unexpected than yesterday's loss by #1 to #8.
I understand the Fed loss can be emotionally bigger because of his age. It may well have been his last chance to win a major and he may decline like Sampras did 16y ago. We will see in few months time if these emotions are justified. I hope Fed is experienced & still strong enough to put these emotions behind him and we will see him at least in GS contention for a couple more years until say Tokyo Olympics. He will be 39 by then and I think he can still play then near his current level. Identical like JC did in his last USO run. So I predict Fed still playing GSes (likely excluding RG) up to and including USO 2020 and still going deep there, like JC!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak beating Rafa qualifies as an upset. :cry:Just to close out this thread.

Horsa

Reactions
Novak beating Rafa qualifies as an upset. :cry:Just to close out this thread.
Aww poor you! It's a double upset for you. I'm very sorry. Hmm! Now comes operation cheer you up. Let me think. How can I cheer you up?

Reactions: Moxie

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
dull getting beaten doesn't qualify as an upset. Faker is better on grass than dull specially indoors.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Aww poor you! It's a double upset for you. I'm very sorry. Hmm! Now comes operation cheer you up. Let me think. How can I cheer you up?
Thanks, Ann. A run on a lovely day helped, then hanging with friends. Perspective is everything. :rose:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
dull getting beaten doesn't qualify as an upset. Faker is better on grass than dull specially indoors.
You don't get to make up what constitutes an upset. As much as you like to make things up.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
You don't get to make up what constitutes an upset. As much as you like to make things up.

Nothing to make up. Faker would've won easier if he hadn't wasted so many BPs. 4/19 to be exact. Faker was the favourite to win this match and rightfully won.

Horsa

Reactions
Thanks, Ann. A run on a lovely day helped, then hanging with friends. Perspective is everything. :rose:
You're welcome, Moxie. I didn't know you ran. I'm glad you had a good day. I was born with slight bronchitis so didn't like running as it left me breathless as it still does so I only run for a bus or train & I always got told off for that in P.E. when we didn't have tennis, squash, gymnastics, swimming, aerobics or health & fitness or I wasn't the hockey or football goalkeeper. I liked doing long jump too. I also liked being the goalkeeper in water polo. I liked walking & swimming best. Swimming is so relaxing. That sounds good. It is nice to talk to & have fun with friends. It is indeed.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nothing to make up. Faker would've won easier if he hadn't wasted so many BPs. 4/19 to be exact. Faker was the favourite to win this match and rightfully won.
It doesn't matter what you think. The #12 seed beating the #2 constitutes an upset.

Should Djokovic win the final,that will count as one more upset.
Whereby, I don't think #12 beating #8 would. That's too close to be anything but even-terms. That's taking purely rankings in account. If Anderson wins, we all know it will be an upset in tennis-terms.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam