Upset Corner - Wimbledon 2018 Edition

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, I woke up my local morning only to find this "upsetting" news. Thanks for the digest GSM. I'm not disturbed by those and even feel happy for the upsetters. No need to explain I nominally like the two fellow OZ among them. I'd even have predicted #2 as I praised Matt not so long ago in Halle. I'm also rooted for the young funny black guy Frances, because I like diversity. Anyone knows what happened to the second black US guy Michael Mmoh? How well did he play his match?
I didn't see Mmoh's match, but he lost to Gilles Muller. Why is Tiafoe a "funny black guy?" I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I'm a fan of Tiafoe, so I wonder why you characterize him that way. Is it really the main feature of him and Mmoh that they're black? I don't know Mmoh's game, but Tiafoe has been making real strides of late. He has a power game, good serve (which is very US, generally, not just African American.) And he's learned to rein his emotions in, of late, and play the big points. He's still only 20. Big promise for US tennis. His win today over Verdasco was not completely unpredictable, but a great stride ahead.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Calm after the storm.:drums:

I project an upset free Wednesday on the Men's side.:whistle:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Calm after the storm.:drums:

I project an upset free Wednesday on the Men's side.:whistle:
As you should. Fairly uninteresting line-up. Sometimes the second round isn't as interesting as the first.

Last edited:

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I didn't see Mmoh's match, but he lost to Gilles Muller. Why is Tiafoe a "funny black guy?" I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I'm a fan of Tiafoe, so I wonder why you characterize him that way. Is it really the main feature of him and Mmoh that they're black? I don't know Mmoh's game, but Tiafoe has been making real strides of late. He has a power game, good serve (which is very US, generally, not just African American.) And he's learned to rein his emotions in, of late, and play the big points. He's still only 20. Big promise for US tennis. His win today over Verdasco was not completely unpredictable, but a great stride ahead.
I maybe didn't watch as much of tiafoe's matches as you did so I just generally agree what you said about his gaming style. But I paid attention how he behaved at the press, i.e. how he handles himself off the court. He does not speak very much, sometimes single words but always to the point. And he makes smart jokes of those words. Rumours from the locker room also confirm his witty sense of humour. That's what I mean my "funny". Then, is "black" a derogative characterisation to you, so that you flip it to "African American"? I used to live in US for several years and know it is in formal situations. However I find the term "African American" too much of a mouthful, and do not understand the emotive difference between the two as I was not born in US. In informal situations among friends I didn't need to use "African American" however if you imply a formal speech is appropriate for the posts on this forum I do apologise & correct myself.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is not entirely uninteresting lune-up tomorrow.
Very interested in 2 matches involving 4 young players:
Tsitsipas - Donaldson
McDonald - Jarry

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
will Pouille be the next one ???

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Might be Isabelle. Lucas in big trouble down 2 sets.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lucas finally won the 3rd set...wait and see but I'm not sure he'll win

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I maybe didn't watch as much of tiafoe's matches as you did so I just generally agree what you said about his gaming style. But I paid attention how he behaved at the press, i.e. how he handles himself off the court. He does not speak very much, sometimes single words but always to the point. And he makes smart jokes of those words. Rumours from the locker room also confirm his witty sense of humour. That's what I mean my "funny". Then, is "black" a derogative characterisation to you, so that you flip it to "African American"? I used to live in US for several years and know it is in formal situations. However I find the term "African American" too much of a mouthful, and do not understand the emotive difference between the two as I was not born in US. In informal situations among friends I didn't need to use "African American" however if you imply a formal speech is appropriate for the posts on this forum I do apologise & correct myself.
You could choose not to identify him by skin color at all, and then you wouldn't have to decide which term is most comfortable - for you. "Frances Tiafoe" seems to be a clear enough way to tell us who you mean. And then when you say 'funny young American,' it might be clearer that you think he's humorous.

Reactions: Chris Koziarz

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is not entirely uninteresting lune-up tomorrow.
Very interested in 2 matches involving 4 young players:
Tsitsipas - Donaldson
McDonald - Jarry
You're right about McDonald v Jarry...they're still going at 7-8 in the 5th.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You're right about McDonald v Jarry...they're still going at 7-8 in the 5th.
McDonald will get into the Top 100, following his first round win and had been on the rise the last couple of months. I was anticipating a tight match here, considering Jarry is not an experienced grass court player either.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Only one upset today. Seed #17 Lucas Pouille taken out by D. Novak.

That makes it a dozen, the number of seeds strewn around.

However, six matches did not finish today and got postponed to tomorrow.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Hope Sillych match gets suspended tomorrow too so he plays 2 matches on the same day.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
We got 22 Gentlemen's singles on tap for Day 4 (including six that are continuations of today's matches).

I project three upsets for Day 4 listed in order of confidence.

1. Alex De Minaur to take out Herbert (both unseeded, though just 8 spots difference in rankings).
2. Gulbis to oust seed #27 Dzumhur
3. J. Vesely to oust seed #15 Shortman

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My question would be #2. Dzumhur has been pretty consistent, and Gulbis is anything but. Not saying it won't happen. I agree that #3 is a bit of a coin-flip.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
My question would be #2. Dzumhur has been pretty consistent, and Gulbis is anything but. Not saying it won't happen. I agree that #3 is a bit of a coin-flip.

Shortman is seeded high due to his overall results. But, he is not good on grass. He exited in the first round for the last three years in a row. In fact before Tuesday, Shortman has won zero grass matches in his whole life. Also, his counterpunching game is not suitable for grass. So, I would give his upset a lot better chance than a coin flip.

Last edited:

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
We got 22 Gentlemen's singles on tap for Day 4 (including six that are continuations of today's matches).

1. Alex De Minaur to take out Herbert (both unseeded, though just 8 spots difference in rankings).
My additions to the list (C for Chris):
C4. Lopez def DelPo (5)
C5. Tomic def Nishikori (24)
Reason for C4 is: L-handed Feliciano looks in good form & can be difficult for R-handed DelPo
Reason for C5 is: the brat looks to be coming back and his game style is effective against Nishi. Their H2H record is tied

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions

One more:
C6: Paire def Shapo (26)
Benoit was in very good grass form (Fed match in Halle) while Shapo is erratic esp. in best-of-5 and will be tired after his previous round finished late.