Upset Corner - Wimbledon 2018 Edition

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It is time to do body count. There were 9 matches today and four of them ended up as upsets with three of them involving seeded players.

1. seed #4 Sasha ousted by Qualifier Gulbis, topped by a Bagel in the last set.
2. seed #15 Kyrgios taken out by Glassikori and that too in straight sets.
3. Seed #19 Fog cleared by Vesely.

Ebden (51) losing to Simon (53) is also a mild upset. The ranking difference between them is a mere 2 spots, but Ebden was considered a favorite in that match, as he is deemed to have more grass chops than Simon.

Altogether 22 seeds were sent home in the first week.

This means we have 10 seeds and 6 non-seeds left for play of the second week.

p.s. In order to cut down the number of upsets GSs decided to reduce the number of seeds to 16 from next year. :p

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
De Minaur seems to be clueless....another bad prediction from your part

You seem almost happy that I got my prediction wrong but I'm sorry I didn't know that Minotaur doesn't even know how to play tennis. Not surprised given the opponent.

Let's hope Vesely can do the job if not DelPotro. Tennis needs to be saved ASAP.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You seem almost happy that I got my prediction wrong but I'm sorry I didn't know that Minotaur doesn't even know how to play tennis. Not surprised given the opponent.

Let's hope Vesely can do the job if not DelPotro. Tennis needs to be saved ASAP.
Perhaps she's bored by your agenda-driven rather than informed predictions. As am I, for example, with your notion that tennis needs to be saved from Nadal. Jeepers, it's just tennis, dude. You really are such a Fed-tool. Take a Xanax try to enjoy the tennis, for a change, eh?

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Perhaps she's bored by your agenda-driven rather than informed predictions. As am I, for example, with your notion that tennis needs to be saved from Nadal. Jeepers, it's just tennis, dude. You really are such a Fed-tool. Take a Xanax try to enjoy the tennis, for a change, eh?

Normal tennis fans enjoy watching dull getting roasted. It is arguably at par if not better in some instances than Fed winning.

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions

She's also agenda-driven with her constant mr.vavrinec baiting

Reactions: monfed

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Isabelle is one of the least agenda-driven posters on these forums. She enjoys a nickname, but she quit using the mean ones that she had for both Roger and Rafa when asked.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Isabelle is one of the least agenda-driven posters on these forums. She enjoys a nickname, but she quit using the mean ones that she had for both Roger and Rafa when asked.

LOL like you right?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Time to gaze into my crystal ball.

I project two upsets for Manic Monday. Both are upsets of big servers.

1. Monfils to oust Anderson (there seems to be a match up issue here. Their h2h is 5-0, Anderson has never won).

2. Tsitsipas to send Isner home (Isner has not seen second week before, the only match played between them was won by Isner, but both sets went to TB which Stefanos can hold his serve comfortably against Isner and he has improved quite a bit since then).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Manic Monday is over, even though one of the scheduled matches is not.

It is a great day and is the first upset free day on Men's side. :clap:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
A boring day in Wimbledon. Even Fed winning didn't excite me as much as the Struff match other than that first set. These courts are too slow for exciting upsets that we're accustomed to in the first week and the first day of the 2nd week. God help us if Fed retires, tennis is going to be so dull ( pun not intended) without him.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mr Vavrinec is less nasty than Olderer, Frauderer etc.....like I often read on various forums....some nicknames can be really harsh with your vain and boring Swiss idol you know ??

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Mr Vavrinec is less nasty than Olderer, Frauderer etc.....like I often read on various forums....some nicknames can be really harsh with your vain and boring Swiss idol you know ??
The best approach to these nicknames is remove any emotional context and think about their originality only. I said on another threat that they are like a work of art and you really have to admire the imagination of the artist who created them, regardless how you hate said artist for their partisanship and rudeness. Think about the richness of feelings and meanings those simple "catchy" words express, otherwise they'd have to type a lot of words and emojis to convey their feelings to you. No wonder such nicknames are being constantly invented in inet groups like this one where people often don't have time to type at length. Intermittent shortcuts people often use to speed-up their inet communication, that I don't consider work of art, are various acronyms, e.g.: I must finish this post because I have no time ATM.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The best approach to these nicknames is remove any emotional context and think about their originality only. I said on another threat that they are like a work of art and you really have to admire the imagination of the artist who created them, regardless how you hate said artist for their partisanship and rudeness. Think about the richness of feelings and meanings those simple "catchy" words express, otherwise they'd have to type a lot of words and emojis to convey their feelings to you. No wonder such nicknames are being constantly invented in inet groups like this one where people often don't have time to type at length. Intermittent shortcuts people often use to speed-up their inet communication, that I don't consider work of art, are various acronyms, e.g.: I must finish this post because I have no time ATM.
I'd love to hear some of the ones you consider clever. Because we do have some thuddingly rude ones around here, repeated endlessly. And they seem pointed at wounding the opposite fan base, which I find a bit unfriendly. At least @isabelle is original, and left off the really insulting ones when requested to.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I'd love to hear some of the ones you consider clever. Because we do have some thuddingly rude ones around here, repeated endlessly. And they seem pointed at wounding the opposite fan base, which I find a bit unfriendly. At least @isabelle is original, and left off the really insulting ones when requested to.
Couple of top ones I can recall now are:
- divatrov: can refer to both that Grigor "trods" like a "diva", or that the "diva of tennis" is (or once was) his "trophy"
- ziraffe: very pointy description of Sasha, sounds even better in the ear of a French speaker
- Kandy: better than Arod because in this case it suggests there is sth sweet in Kevin's personality, and indeed there is
- dull: not a bad one, remember to remove all emotions you may have
Cited by isabelle above:
Frauderer, Olderer, Mr Vavrinec are less "catchy", herein decreasing order of inventiveness.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Couple of top ones I can recall now are:
- divatrov: can refer to both that Grigor "trods" like a "diva", or that the "diva of tennis" is (or once was) his "trophy"
- ziraffe: very pointy description of Sasha, sounds even better in the ear of a French speaker
- Kandy: better than Arod because in this case it suggests there is sth sweet in Kevin's personality, and indeed there is
- dull: not a bad one, remember to remove all emotions you may have
Cited by isabelle above:
Frauderer, Olderer, Mr Vavrinec are less "catchy", herein decreasing order of inventiveness.
We've had Ziraffe here. Funny. Also Kandy has been used. "Dull" I think, personally, is awful AND unimaginative. As well as not applicable. I thought your requirement was that it not be insulting. There I think you have your own blinkers on. But I'm inspired...I'll be working on my own.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
We've had Ziraffe here. Funny. Also Kandy has been used. "Dull" I think, personally, is awful AND unimaginative. As well as not applicable. I thought your requirement was that it not be insulting. There I think you have your own blinkers on. But I'm inspired...I'll be working on my own.
No, I emphasised your misunderstanding: lack of insults is not my requirement.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
OK. it is time to gaze into my crystal ball.

My ball is very opaque and I can't see anything inside. Hence, I project an upset free Wednesday.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
We were talking about art as a whole. I agree that word-play is a form of art but if you're speaking about word-play being a form of art it's unfair if you don't give credit to the master of word-play (in my opinion) who was a great playwright & wrote beautiful sonnets too. I'm talking about the guy whose works introduced me to word-play when I 1st had to study 1 of them when I was 13 & had to study 1 of his most famous plays which I loved. It's none other than William Shakespeare. The play I 1st studied was Romeo & Juliet. It was very funny in parts though gory & tragic in others. What I find amazing is you'd think the lines that stuck to me most would be "Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?" or "What light through yonder window breaks? It is the moon & Juliet is the sun" but they're not. The lines that stick to me most are "I'll look to like if looking liking move but no more deep will I endart mine eye than your consent give strength to make it fly" & "What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." I know the quotes I chose aren't examples of puns but they're good examples of writing being used as an art form & beautiful & I thought if we were talking about word-play being an art form we had to give credit to the master too. I'm very sorry for bringing this subject off topic but felt the need to say this.