Upset Corner - Wimbledon 2018 Edition

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
We got another upset. In a match started yesterday interrupted in the 5 set at 3-1 with Albot leading PCB, in 3 more games the match was over.
The 98 ranked Moldavian eliminated Carreno-Busta, bringing the seeds gone up to 6.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
really great for Stan the Man

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Sela about to be upset. He's two sets and a break down.

Reactions: 10isfan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And Frances Tiafoe does get the upset over Verdasco! Nice win for him.

Reactions: isabelle

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Domi retires 2-0 down in the 3rd and Baghy moves on to R2. McFly also sent packing. And now Mischa is down 2 sets. That's 2 seeds dusted on the same day. The upset bug is spreading like wildfire across both women's and men's field. Novak better watchout.

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Domi retires 2-0 down in the 3rd and Baghy moves on to R2. McFly also sent packing. And now Mischa is down 2 sets. That's 2 seeds dusted on the same day. The upset bug is spreading like wildfire across both women's and men's field. Novak better watchout.

So, Domi follows Dimi. That is a pathetic loss. I knew he would not live up to his seeding, but did not think he would go out so meekly to Baggy who is almost about to retire. Baggy was on a 4 match losing streak and he lost in the first round of last four tourneys (including at challenger level) to players ranked very low (100, 200 and even 300). :facepalm:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So, Domi follows Dimi. That is a pathetic loss. I knew he would not live up to his seeding, but did not think he would go out so meekly to Baggy who is almost about to retire. Baggy was on a 4 match losing streak and he lost in the first round of last four tourneys (including at challenger level) to players ranked very low (100, 200 and even 300). :facepalm:
Pathetic all right. Baggy is on his last legs, hardly in the top 100 and he still is a le to defeat Domi in straight sets.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
... yes, after I posted here though. I think you were talking about Italians in the other thread. Is that the one you are referring to.
Yup. Bollelli's win is also an upset, he is a qualifier, well outside of the top 100.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Today's body count is 6 today (counting only seeded players, but including match of yesterday that finished today

The casualties are listed below.

1. Seed #7 Thiem taken out by Baggy who almost came out of retirement and that too in 2.2 sets.
2. Seed #10 Goffin taken out by in form Ebden.
3. Seed #18 Jack Sock ousted by Berrteni.
4. Seed #20 PBD sent home by Albot.
5. Seed #29 and RG Cindrella Cecchinato ousted by teenager Alex De Minaur (he can claim that he lost it due to match fixing :D)
6. Seed #30 Verdasco shown the door by youngster Tiafoe.

Altogether there were 11 seeds who exited in the first round itself. That is actually more than one third of all seeded players. This is actually one notch better than WTA which only saw 10 seeds go home. But, the WTA casualties are much higher seeds and also big names.

I think this year, the number of upsets in unusually high; don't know what is the reason. I think the last time upsets were this high was in 2013 year when lots of players fell down on grass and blamed it on the slipperiness.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
There were several upsets of non-seeded players to go along as well.

1. #38 Ramos Vinolas taken out by #158 S. Robert
2. #69 Sugita taken out by #168 B. Klahn
3. #76 P. Cuevas taken out by #154 Bolelli
4. #41 Mischa Zverev sent home by #72 Herbert.

Some minor upsets

a. #37 Ferrer ousted by #40 Khachanov
b. #93 Veseley ousted #91 F. Mayer

This may not be exhaustive list and is merely what I could quickly notice.

I am sure herios will add few more to the list.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Altogether there were 11 seeds who exited in the first round itself. This is actually one notch better than WTA which only saw 10 seeds go home. But, the WTA casualties are much higher seeds and also big names.

I think this year, the number of upsets in unusually high; don't know what is the reason. I think the last time upsets were this high was in 2013 year when lots of players fell down on grass and blamed it on the slipperiness.

Still, wouldn't you say it was one notch worse than the WTA? ATP lost 1 more seeded player. The qualifying note came after. :)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Still, wouldn't you say it was one notch worse than the WTA? ATP lost 1 more seeded player. The qualifying note came after. :)

That was tongue in cheek. I was saying ATP outdid WTA in creating more upsets.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was tongue in cheek. I was saying ATP outdid WTA in creating more upsets.
Given the denigrating of the WTA around here, I thought it would have been classier to give the actual credit, but I get u.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Today's body count is 6 today (counting only seeded players, but including match of yesterday that finished today

The casualties are listed below.

1. Seed #7 Thiem taken out by Baggy who almost came out of retirement and that too in 2.2 sets.
2. Seed #10 Goffin taken out by in form Ebden.
3. Seed #18 Jack Sock ousted by Berrteni.
4. Seed #20 PBD sent home by Albot.
5. Seed #29 and RG Cindrella Cecchinato ousted by teenager Alex De Minaur (he can claim that he lost it due to match fixing :D)
6. Seed #30 Verdasco shown the door by youngster Tiafoe.

Altogether there were 11 seeds who exited in the first round itself. That is actually more than one third of all seeded players. This is actually one notch better than WTA which only saw 10 seeds go home. But, the WTA casualties are much higher seeds and also big names.

Wow, I woke up my local morning only to find this "upsetting" news. Thanks for the digest GSM. I'm not disturbed by those and even feel happy for the upsetters. No need to explain I nominally like the two fellow OZ among them. I'd even have predicted #2 as I praised Matt not so long ago in Halle. I'm also rooted for the young funny black guy Frances, because I like diversity. Anyone knows what happened to the second black US guy Michael Mmoh? How well did he play his match?