Upset Corner - USO 2016 Edition

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
herios said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Of the 32 seeds who were supposed to reach R32, almost half of them are upset. 14 seeds got upset, with one last result still pending (Fog vs. Ferru is in 5th set right now. If Ferru loses, that will be another upset). I think for ATP, you might have to go lot of years back to find the last time such a thing happened. :cover
To put it in perspective, this is one more upset than the # in WTA at this very same US Open. Finally, ATP has reached the dismal situation of WTA now. :cover

When is status quo is not good, because is boring and predictable.
When are too many upsets, than is dismal.
:laydownlaughing

Exactly, what we need is optimal number of upsets. It should not be 0% or 50%. Optimal would be 25% upsets. Most importantly it should never be more than the number in WTA.

Nothing makes you happy, unless Roger is winning, recognize it. You are so easy to read.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
a lot of upsets in NY, amazing especially for Raonic who could have done much, much better

mouse

Futures Player
Reactions
Evans hasn't taken his tennis seriously until this year. A mixture of motivation, form and injuries have all been factors for a while

Delighted he's into the 3rd round

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Sock beating Cilic is totally unexpected. I saw a bit of it. Cilic was never himself and Sock was pretty solid.

Unfortunately, this makes Novak's path even easier. :cry

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
After to beat a tired Muzz in Cincinnatti then Cilic became for some people a new contender in the USO.
It's funny how some players after to beat some of the top ones then some people like almost to confirm that he will win the next GS.....and I could say that it never happens :nono

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
After to beat a tired Muzz in Cincinnatti then Cilic became for some people a new contender in the USO.
It's funny how some players after to beat some of the top ones then some people like almost to confirm that he will win the next GS.....and I could say that it never happens :nono

Yeah.. That's a shocker that he lost.. Wide open for Djoker

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:

Murray wasn't tired. Not physically anyway. That guy is the new energizer bunny on tour. Cilic beat him with shot making and clinical serving.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Just home and impressed with Baghdatis and Sock. Both had great wins today.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:

Yeah.. That's a shocker that he lost.. Wide open for Djoker

Novak seems to have a easy way but you never know. They said that Muzz has a easy draw but I always say that it's just a paper because many things happen thoughout a tournament as we can see every time. Anyway I've never thought that Cilic was a dangerous contender

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
GameSetAndMath said:
1972Murat said:
Sock beating Cilic is totally unexpected. I saw a bit of it. Cilic was never himself and Sock was pretty solid.

Unfortunately, this makes Novak's path even easier. :cry

Novak has nobody in his path anyways...he will win the tournament having played like 2 matches ;)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Ah man, after such a good run of form, Youzhny retired. Was just grabbing dinner to watch it too lol. What was the nature of his injury to save me checking? Tennis racquet to the head and fractured skull ? Again ? :snicker

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
This lack of play will hurt Novak though. Murray the muppet is a heavy favourite now imo.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
So many comments that the draw is rigged.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
This lack of play will hurt Novak though. Murray the muppet is a heavy favourite now imo.

No No. Under normal circumstances, you are right. But here, Novak was actually looking for some extra time to heal and things are falling in place for him.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think there's a whole lot wrong with him tbh but even if he did actually have a sore wrist, 2 days doesn't do much for healing. Must be so sore if it heals up in 2 days :cover

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Two comments about the last couple pages.

One, whether upsets--or how many--are good or not depends upon the context. I'd say it is good now, because the ATP tour has been utterly dominated by four men for 12+ years now. We are starting to see a sea-change, with Roger and Rafa declining and, I would guess, Andy and Novak in the last year or two of their absolute peaks. We need fresh blood, new faces and new champions. We might go through a period of a few years--like we did in the early 00s--when there are no super-dominant players, but that's OK.

Two, re: Daniel Evans. It seems that some tennis fans don't realize that there is more to the sport than the top three or four players, that there are hundreds of players, dozens of tournaments. Yes, the "jewel" of the sport is the top tier, the Slams and such, but it is also fun to follow players that aren't the very best.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wait, and now....Youzhny retired? what?:laydownlaughing something very odd is going on :puzzled

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the upsets keep on rolling.
Isner eliminated by Edmund
Pouille def. Bautista-Agut