Upset Corner - USO 2016 Edition

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
delPoFearhand said:
GameSetAndMath said:
At the end of Day 1, we had two true upsets (Gasquet and Klizan) and two "almost" upsets in the all American old vs. young wars.

Jack Sock is only 23- granted that is 5 years older than his opponent yesterday, but I'm not sure he is in the "old" category yet. What I'm really saying is that his best tennis is still in front of him (as opposed to Isner/Querrey whose best tennis was 3 or 4 years ago).

I think Jack's ceiling is around 10 in the world. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong and for him to make a run at the top 5.
Top ten for Sock...I don't foresee it...

herios and El Dude.. what do you think.. I don't see Sock having that much of a game to be ahead of the advanced players from the other countries.. Its hard for NicKy K to make it to the top ten or Monfils to stay .. I see Sock ceiling maybe 20 or in that range

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Today, day 2, I have three potential upsets on my radar.

1. Stan vs. Verdasco. This is an "anything can happen" match.

2. Iron man, Ferru is rusty. the erratic Dog might bite him if the dog has its day.

3. Stepanek vs. Simon has some potential also.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
delPoFearhand said:
GameSetAndMath said:
At the end of Day 1, we had two true upsets (Gasquet and Klizan) and two "almost" upsets in the all American old vs. young wars.

Jack Sock is only 23- granted that is 5 years older than his opponent yesterday, but I'm not sure he is in the "old" category yet. What I'm really saying is that his best tennis is still in front of him (as opposed to Isner/Querrey whose best tennis was 3 or 4 years ago).

I think Jack's ceiling is around 10 in the world. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong and for him to make a run at the top 5.

herios and El Dude.. what do you think.. I don't see Sock having that much of a game to be ahead of the advanced players from the other countries.. Its hard for NicKy K to make it to the top ten or Monfils to stay .. I see Sock ceiling maybe 20 or in that range
Possibly, top 12 or so once the "greats" retire. His 2nd serve is a huge liability and his ground game is still pretty erratic.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
the AntiPusher said:
delPoFearhand said:

Possibly, top 12 or so once the "greats" retire. His 2nd serve is a huge liability and his ground game is still pretty erratic.
the greats retire..what ya thinking maybe 3-4 years..(the big three(Rafa, Murray and Djoker) will be there ..Monfils, Berdych , Stan , Thiem and Zverena(whatever his name) , Coric.. Maybe Tsonga..Nicky K, Grigor... KS ..you still think Sock can hang around.. I like Fritz, Tiafoe and some of the others to make it there

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
Two possible upsets in the works:

Mahut up 2 sets to 0 against Kohlschreiber.
Radu Albot ahead by 2 sets against Troicki (who is just outside the seeds, but I still think this qualifies as an upset).

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, I don't see Sock cracking the top 10 unless it is a particularly weak year. That said, players of similar ability are able to sneak in every once in awhile. He isn't that far away from players like Tommy Robredo, Mikhail Youzhny Juan Monaco, Nicolas Almagro, and Gilles Simon, all of whom have been in the top 10. And don't forget that Janko Tipsarevic finished two years in a row in the top 10. But I see him as being in a slightly lower category than those guys, more in the Kohlschreiber/Seppi group. He'll vie for best American player with Isner, Johnson, and Querrey for the next year or so until Fritz, Tiafoe, Kozlov, and maybe Donaldson all pass them.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Has Grigor Dimitrov turned a corner? The ship has long sailed of him being an elite player, but he's been playing much better of late. I think he still has the talent to be a regular in the top 10 for a few years, maybe win a Masters if Novak and Andy start slipping before the younger crew reaches their peak.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Huge upset in the works: Jared Donaldson up two sets and a break over David Goffin. Donaldson, along with Karen Khachanov, is a serious candidate for a breakthrough

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
Huge upset in the works: Jared Donaldson up two sets and a break over David Goffin. Donaldson, along with Karen Khachanov, is a serious candidate for a breakthrough

Donaldson wins, giving Goffin a bagel in the final set.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Saw that and was like who the hell is Donaldson. Great win for him. Nice to see Tipsarevic win a match too for once.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Tomic lost.

Now Steven Johnson is in trouble, down 2 sets and a break to Donskoy.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
R1 is not over yet, but I have not seen as many seeds shown the door ion recent years.
Especially Querrey, after he has his best run in a slam at Wimbledon (QF) to be defeated by Typsa who did not walk for months and had 2 consecutive surgeries

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Tomic lost.

That chump let Johnson comeback ..good for Steve Johnson ..I don't if he advances past the next round

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Tomic lost.

That chump let Johnson comeback ..good for Steve Johnson ..I don't if he advances past the next round

That may be called a heroic or miraculous comeback from 2 sets down and 2-5 with 0-40 on his serve in the third set. he saved 7 MP and won it in 5 sets.
And by the way, for those who think he does not deserve the #1 American player ranking, well, it is his fault that the others do not play well enough to be ranked above him??
He deserves a lot of respect, because it is not easy to start the pro career at 22 after college and manage to be as high ranked as he does.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Tomic lost.

That may be called a heroic or miraculous comeback from 2 sets down and 2-5 with 0-40 on his serve in the third set. he saved 7 MP and won it in 5 sets.
And by the way, for those who think he does not deserve the #1 American player ranking, well, it is his fault that the others do not play well enough to be ranked above him??
He deserves a lot of respect, because it is not easy to start the pro career at 22 after college and manage to be as high ranked as he does.

Why don't you give Johnson enough respect for everyone else.. He ain't getting no respect from me with his very predictable game

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
herios said:
the AntiPusher said:

Why don't you give Johnson enough respect for everyone else.. He ain't getting no respect from me with his very predictable game

Almost all players are predictable. They have patterns which they follow. But what matters the most is how consistent they are when it comes to where do they rank.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Johnson / Delpo should be great, I guess crowd'll support Johnson