Upset Corner - USO 2016 Edition

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Two more top 16 are out before we arrived to that round:
Ferrer taken out by JMDP and Kyrgios by Marchenko.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
After the first week has been completed, only 8 of the top 16 seeds remain in the competition.

And no, this has nothing to do with Roger's absence :D

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If you take a random pool of 16 players, you expect 8 to survive. So, 50% survival is the minimum expected value. These 16 players being seeds, the survival rate should be much higher, if the name seed is to have any meaning.

This event truly marks a radical shift in the way ATP tourneys work and I am sure this phenomena will continue for quite a while until a new world order is established (which may take 4 or 5 years).

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
It reminds me of 2014 IW. Right after Stan breakthrough in AO, among the top 8 seeds only Nole and Fed reached quarter-final. Everyone was talking about tsunami in ATP. You knew what happened.

The same here, I'd be surprised to see a new face next Sunday.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
BIG3 said:
It reminds me of 2014 IW. Right after Stan breakthrough in AO, among the top 8 seeds only Nole and Fed reached quarter-final. Everyone was talking about tsunami in ATP. You knew what happened.

99.99% you are right. But still it is a shake up happening, even if not at the very top.
the 8-20 ranking range should be more fluid than is was the last several years.
R16 and QF may give us new challengers to look at.

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
The real upset is brewing. Yes, Nadal has been off peak/prime more than two years. He is play his current standard, but cross the net the Frenchman is playing aggressively and consistently.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
AnonymousFan said:
Pouille takes the third set against Nadal.

If he can keep it together, this will be even more huge than his LL effort in Rome making it to the semis against Murray! Pouille has Rafa all at sea; just standing there looking at times! :angel: :dodgy: :p :clap

- http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fan-page-novak-nole-djokovic.html -

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
herios said:
BIG3 said:

99.99% you are right. But still it is a shake up happening, even if not at the very top.
the 8-20 ranking range should be more fluid than is was the last several years.
R16 and QF may give us new challengers to look at.

I used to watch the major from semi. Now have to start from R16. I agree your point that we will see more green horns in the quarter and semi

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I was only able to watch the TB but it was enough to appreciate the poise Poullie showed. He did not look out of place on the biggest stage at a crucial moment in a huge match. The last winner to seal it was a classic " No guts, no glory" move. Maybe he had the "fish out of water" moments during the match but you guys can tell me if that was the case. To me, he looked like he belonged.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I was only able to watch the TB but it was enough to appreciate the poise Poullie showed. He did not look out of place on the biggest stage at a crucial moment in a huge match. The last winner to seal it was a classic " No guts, no glory" move. Maybe he had the "fish out of water" moments during the match but you guys can tell me if that was the case. To me, he looked like he belonged.

He belonged all right. He is a great mover and running down all the shots Rafa threw at him and returning them with poise and precision. He was going for winners whenever he could.
I never saw him to be honest before, but I was very impressed.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
1972Murat said:

I had to go out in the 4th set, but what impressed me up to that point was Pouille wasn't losing points; Rafa had to win them! Poor guy was run to death with those short balls and drop shots, but Lucas ran for them all and made Rafa hit another shot! He didn't just try to hit a fantastic winner, donating the point; that's what I got from what little I saw of the match! Looks like the game will be left in capable hands! I'm quite impressed with Pouille, Thiem, Cuevas, Zverev, Sock, & Goffin! I'm over Grigor, Kei, Isner, Querrey, & Milos; just teases! :angel: :dodgy: :clap

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
JMDP up a set and break on Thiem. Dominic is all out of sorts today

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
JMDP up a set and break on Thiem. Dominic is all out of sorts today

Dominic lost his mojo since June.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, even before the match, I'd have had Del Potro heavy favourite. He's actually got the cold-eyed look of a real contender now...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Four of eight projected quarterfinalist have already gone home. There are still two more R16 matches on tap.