Tokyo Olympics 2021 - 24th July to 1st August 2021

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently what I posted above is fake news even though it was published in several respectable outlets. While it is true that the beds are made out of cardboard, the reason is to promote recycling as opposed to being "anti-sex" beds. An Irish gymnast posted a video of himself jumping up and down on the bed to demonstrate that the bed is sturdy enough for sex.

Traditionally they used to distribute condoms to athletes. In Tokyo, they are doing that too, but they are encouraging the athletes to take them home and us after they leave the village. It is their way of trying to control intimacy and thus COVID spread. It is kind of funny considering the athletes are supposed to be 2 meters away from other athletes at all times, any way as per the rules.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak Djokovic on playing Tokyo2020,

"It came down to patriotism and my feelings for Serbia".
Says he dosen't like the idea of playing without fans but couldn't miss the event.
Expected to play mixed doubles with Strojanovic.No men's doubles.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Apparently what I posted above is fake news even though it was published in several respectable outlets. While it is true that the beds are made out of cardboard, the reason is to promote recycling as opposed to being "anti-sex" beds. An Irish gymnast posted a video of himself jumping up and down on the bed to demonstrate that the bed is sturdy enough for sex.

Traditionally they used to distribute condoms to athletes. In Tokyo, they are doing that too, but they are encouraging the athletes to take them home and us after they leave the village. It is their way of trying to control intimacy and thus COVID spread. It is kind of funny considering the athletes are supposed to be 2 meters away from other athletes at all times, any way as per the rules.
I honestly thought that was a joke. I can't believe you bought it.

Reactions: tennisville

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak Djokovic on playing Tokyo2020,

"It came down to patriotism and my feelings for Serbia".
Says he dosen't like the idea of playing without fans but couldn't miss the event.
Expected to play mixed doubles with Strojanovic.No men's doubles.

Stojanovic is ranked #42 in doubles. Novak has much better chance of getting into the even with her rather than Krunic who is ranked #53. Also, Stojanovic is the leading female singles tennis player from Serbia ranked at #90 (whereas Krunic is not even in top 200 in singles).

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Deco Turf is the surface used for tennis at the Tokyo Olympic games.While the speed of that court is unknown,the Deco Turf courts are assessed as medium pace surfaces by the ITF and have an average rally length of 4.4 according to DDSA captured matches.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently, in view of the pandemic, the Tokyo Olympic organizers decided that the participants should not be involved in intimate affairs and to help with that they have created "anti-sex" beds made out of cardboard. That is where the players get to sleep during Olympics.
If I was an athlete chosen for the games. You can count me out..I wouldn't want to go to Tokyo if there's no chance of non American sex. jajaja..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Whenever someone uses the term "fake news" it tells me they're a closet T Rump supporter or F as in Fake Fox News follower

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Chief of the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee on Tuesday did not rule out a last-minute cancellation of the Olympics,as more athletes tested positive for COVID-19 and major sponsors ditched plans to attend Friday's opening ceremony.Asked at a news conference whether the global sporting showpiece might be conceled,Toshiro Muto said he would keep an eye on infection numbers and liaise with the organizers if necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic,
"Although some players from the top are not coming,there are a lot of elite players fighting for medals,Medvedev,Tsitsipas and Zverev are among the favorites.They are the best,but it's a long tournament and anything can happen".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Brazilian doubles player Bruno Soares arrived in Tokyo and was diagnosed with appendicitis.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Can you imagine if they would cancel the Olympics? it would be horrible for all the athletes and their dreams. Well, what ever is going to happen I hope they can play the USO even the pandemia is rising again all over the Country, ugh!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Can you imagine if they would cancel the Olympics? it would be horrible for all the athletes and their dreams. Well, what ever is going to happen I hope they can play the USO even the pandemia is rising again all over the Country, ugh!
It would be horrible if the Olympics cancelled at this stage. As to the USO, and the No. American HC swing, the cases in all of that area (and Canada, I think, since they are stricter than we are,) are the lowest in the US, because we have a high rate of vaccination around here.

The map of US as of now: https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/map

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It would be horrible if the Olympics cancelled at this stage. As to the USO, and the No. American HC swing, the cases in all of that area (and Canada, I think, since they are stricter than we are,) are the lowest in the US, because we have a high rate of vaccination around here.

The map of US as of now: https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/map
They say that in US there are 59% vaccinated but it's necessary at least 79% to avoid more and more contagious . I'm surprised that Japan is not so safe, I thought they are more stricter than anyone else

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They say that in US there are 59% vaccinated but it's necessary at least 79% to avoid more and more contagious . I'm surprised that Japan is not so safe, I thought they are more stricter than anyone else
To be honest, I'm surprised that Japan is having such a problem, too. They seem to have such an obedient population, so what happened in terms of protocols and vaccines?

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Definitely this guy is a little crazy, smashing the racket during the practice? wow, easy Novak, easy lol

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The Olympics draw is out.

Assuming the seeds holds, here are the projected quarterfinals.

1. Novak vs. Rublev
2. Sasha vs. Hubi
3. Shortman vs. Tits
4. PCB vs. Med.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting first round matches.

1. Rublev vs. Nishikori
2. Andy vs. FAA
3. Hubi vs. Fucs.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak has easy first round match playing someone ranked #139. But, after that there are potential banana skins.

2nd round: Struff
3rd round: Mussetti (who recently troubled Novak) (Note: he is not projected to reach this round if seeds hold)
QF: Rublev
SF: Sasha
F: Med

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good news Bruno Soares is out of hospital after having his appendix removed and has returned to the Olympic village where he will stay and cheer his fellow tennis players on.