Tokyo Olympics 2021 - 24th July to 1st August 2021

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sure Novak's travel can be made to be comfortable, within bounds. But there is also the Olympics bubble to be in, and Novak is proclaimed as one who doesn't like it. You also completely ignore my point as to what happens if he makes the effort and comes up empty-handed, which is possible. This would be a mental blow, which he doesn't need right now. There is one thing that would make the trip to Tokyo worthwhile, and every other outcome that could make it an emotional blow, IMO. If you don't see that as a statistical negative for him, then we disagree. As I said, I hope he goes, because I think it lessens his chances of winning the USO.

It's not that difficult, if you ask me, to compare Serena's mental strength, throughout most of her career, to that of Novak. It's only been since coming back from maternity leave, being older and trying to get the one more Major that has proven more than she can cross. To date. Djokovic, on the other hand, has proven more than once, and including a 2-year walkabout, that he can fall to his own mental demons. If Serena in 2015 could trip 2 matches from the finish line, I'm inclined to think that Novak is likewise susceptible. He looks invulnerable right now, but so did Serena. And with much weaker competition at the time.

1. Even if he does not win gold (but loses in the final), it will be an upgrade for him as he would get silver and currently he has only bronze.
2. I don't think his 2-year walkabout says anything about mental strength. He finished his Nole slam and felt contented and had this walkabout (not to mention Bollywood issues). You can complain about mental strength only if they set a determination to do something and then fail.
3. I hope he goes as I am of the opinion that succeeding or failing in Olympics will affect his chances at USO one way or other (except if he contracts COVID and is forced out of action for some time even if he could recover in time to play USO; But, I assume he would have been fully vaccinated and so it would be a non-issue).

p.s. I am not asking to go so that he can accomplish GCYGS. If he already has Olympics Gold in Singles, I would strongly advise him not to go for Olympics this time and focus on CYGS exclusively even though he would have a chance for GCYGS. Olympics is basically about crossing it off on the list (even that giving it a fairly liberal status) and I don't think the number of gold medals you have matters, at least not in tennis.

p.s.2. I would advise all lesser players to keep away from Olympics. There is pandemic, tighter restrictions, no fans, limited team members etc etc. Also, keep in mind that this time players get no ranking points. There is no prize money in Olympics. So, unless you think you have at least 50% chance of getting some medal, I don't see a point in going there.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1. Even if he does not win gold (but loses in the final), it will be an upgrade for him as he would get silver and currently he has only bronze.
I'm sorry, but this is idiotic. There is no "upgrade" for Novak that is not the Gold Medal. Either he gets the gold, or he failed. This is why @don_fabio agrees with me that Novak should just skip it.

2. I don't think his 2-year walkabout says anything about mental strength. He finished his Nole slam and felt contented and had this walkabout (not to mention Bollywood issues). You can complain about mental strength only if they set a determination to do something and then fail.

We can agree to disagree about the 2-year walkabout and mental strength. I don't even understand how you can give it a pass. He was losing to everyone for 2 years, and it wasn't about his f-ing elbow. You don't think this was about his head? Fine.
3. I hope he goes as I am of the opinion that succeeding or failing in Olympics will affect his chances at USO one way or other (except if he contracts COVID and is forced out of action for some time even if he could recover in time to play USO; But, I assume he would have been fully vaccinated and so it would be a non-issue).
The chances that he is vaccinated are nil, since he's an anti-vaxxer. But I don't think that's the biggest problem he faces. I agree with you that succeeding or failing at the Olympics could affect how he does at the USO. What we don't agree on, and @don_fabio and I do agree on, is that he has more to lose than gain at the Olympics.
p.s. I am not asking to go so that he can accomplish GCYGS. If he already has Olympics Gold in Singles, I would strongly advise him not to go for Olympics this time and focus on CYGS exclusively even though he would have a chance for GCYGS. Olympics is basically about crossing it off on the list (even that giving it a fairly liberal status) and I don't think the number of gold medals you have matters, at least not in tennis.
This is the conversation that we've had before: you don't think that the Olympics matters, except that you do. I really don't understand why you're campaigning for Novak to go. As you say below, no one should.

p.s.2. I would advise all lesser players to keep away from Olympics. There is pandemic, tighter restrictions, no fans, limited team members etc etc. Also, keep in mind that this time players get no ranking points. There is no prize money in Olympics. So, unless you think you have at least 50% chance of getting some medal, I don't see a point in going there.
So your point seems to be that no one should go, except Novak. Or maybe the top 20 who are committed already. Everyone else should bail, because they won't win anyway, and there is a pandemic. Nice Olympic spirit. I would think this is just the year that the undercard players have more of a chance than ever.

Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
If it works out that way. But I don't see how not winning Olympic Gold acts as any kind of a steam-valve. The comparison to MC-RG makes no sense to me. Novak is chasing history, and he knows it. The only reason to go to Tokyo is to get the Golden career slam, or, ideally, the Golden Grand Slam, which only Steffi Graf has. If he goes to Tokyo, he increases the pressure on himself. He would be going for only one reason. Anything short of Olympic Gold will have been a waste of emotional energy.

Or, let's say he does win it. Still, a lot of emotional energy spent and a half a world away of jet-lag to get over. Is he riding a wave of confidence? Or running on emotional fumes. In 2016, after winning (finally) RG, he lost to Sam Querrey in R3 at Wimbledon in an emotionally flat performance. Serena Williams, who I would argue had less in the way of competition, and more in the way of confidence, at the time, couldn't get over the hump at the USO (2015) when she was 2 matches away from the real Grand Slam.

If Novak pulls it all off, then good for him. But I think he risks a lot if he goes to Tokyo.
He's already had Covid.. what's the risk he will have his bathroom break if he is feeling ill.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The chances that he is vaccinated are nil, since he's an anti-vaxxer. But I don't think that's the biggest problem he faces. I agree with you that succeeding or failing at the Olympics could affect how he does at the USO. What we don't agree on, and @don_fabio and I do agree on, is that he has more to lose than gain at the Olympics.

Oops, I meant to type will NOT affect his chances.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm sorry, but this is idiotic. There is no "upgrade" for Novak that is not the Gold Medal. Either he gets the gold, or he failed. This is why @don_fabio agrees with me that Novak should just skip it.

I agree. What I said was pedantic.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He's already had Covid.. what's the risk he will have his bathroom break if he is feeling ill.
Having it once at this point does not make you clear from further infection. I don't know if Tokyo is insisting on vaccination, but they should.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So your point seems to be that no one should go, except Novak. Or maybe the top 20 who are committed already. Everyone else should bail, because they won't win anyway, and there is a pandemic. Nice Olympic spirit. I would think this is just the year that the undercard players have more of a chance than ever.

If a lesser player plays in an ATP 250 tournament and wins a couple of rounds and then loses, he still gets some ranking points and some prize money.
In Olympics Tennis, you get nothing for winning few rounds (no money, no ranking points) without winning a medal. One can say, they can enjoy the Olympic Spirit and get the Olympic experience. But, With all the restrictions, participants are not going to get the Olympic experience. They won't even be allowed to watch other sports in person. So, the only reason for going there should be to win a medal.

I am not saying only Novak should go. I am saying if you think the chances of you winning some medal is less than some threshold (say 33%), it does not make any sense to go. No ranking points, No prize money, No Olympic experience, can't even indulge in some sight seeing in a different country. What is the point?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree. What I said was pedantic.
It wasn't "pedantic." It was just stupid. Look up "pedantic." If Novak doesn't win the Gold medal, he'll have gone to Tokyo for no reason. There is no other reason for him to go. If he goes to Tokyo, he spends a lot of emotional capital. As you said, best of 3 is a formula for upset. And some trending players are going to play. If you were on his team, would you counsel him to go?

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If a lesser player plays in an ATP 250 tournament and wins a couple of rounds and then loses, he still gets some ranking points and some prize money.
In Olympics Tennis, you get nothing for winning few rounds (no money, no ranking points) without winning a medal. One can say, they can enjoy the Olympic Spirit and get the Olympic experience. But, With all the restrictions, participants are not going to get the Olympic experience. They won't even be allowed to watch other sports in person. So, the only reason for going there should be to win a medal.

I am not saying only Novak should go. I am saying if you think the chances of you winning some medal is less than some threshold (say 33%), it does not make any sense to go. No ranking points, No prize money, No Olympic experience, can't even indulge in some sight seeing in a different country. What is the point?
You are all over the map on this. The players that are going to play in the Olympics are the ones who will. The more players that bail on it makes the percentage possibility of X-player winning that much greater. You ask what is the point? It's the fucking Olympics. That's the point. And if someone like Medvedev comes up with the gold medal, I can't wait for someone like you and others to say that it doesn't matter. Means nothing. It seems to me that it's only going to matter if Novak wins gold. Everyone else will just be chump change.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak's name is currently on the Olympic entry list. As a result, if he is actually going, he is not required to make a statement confirming he is going. He will be making a statement only if he is not going. Hence, I tend to think he is actually going.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Dan Evans has contracted COVID and so will not be going to Tokyo. The list keeps increasing everyday.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have already posted that Dan Evans contracted COVID-19 and has withdrawn earlier today.,from the Olympics
Posters Need To Read the previous posts On This Blog.I posted the news at 8.09 yesterday.
With Dans Evans withdrawal and also Johanna Konta (GRB) who also contracted COVID-19 before Wimbledon and was unable to train and be ready for the Olympics.I wonder who will be Dan Evans replacement?

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Host city Japan has had rising numbers of COVID-19 today,with 1,149 new cases,their highest rise in cases since January this year, seeing it is only 1 week from the start of the Olympic games,officials in Japan are 'on edge',regardless of the fact, they have called a 'state of emergency' for the 2 weeks of the Olympics.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW FFA's father,a professional tennis coach,will be going to the Olympics,instead of his regular coach Fred Fontang.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Vasek Pospsil withdraws from the Olympics with a aggravated right shoulder injury

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jamie Murray will now partner Neal Skupski in the doubles team for GRB,following Dan Evans withdrawing after testing positive for COVID-19.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Main draw ceremony of the Olympic tennis event will take place on Thursday July 22,at 11am local time at Ariake Tennis Park (press conference centre).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak Djokovic has just announced on Twitter he has booked his flight to Tokyo and will be joining Team Serbia for the Olympics

Reactions: don_fabio

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
A reminder that 8 of the top 10 players in the race are playing the event.