Tokyo Olympics 2021 - 24th July to 1st August 2021

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
this serves djokovic right. Played in empty stadiums, in extreme heat, crushed by Zverev and couldn't even get bronze. Was it worth it? now, US Open not looking very promising. Nadal has a great shot, he plays well at US hardcourt and seems rested and ready to roll..

Actually, I tend to think the other way. That loss kind of blows off the pressure. Moreover, it would make him more careful and wanting to accomplish at USO. I think it is a worthwhile trip (although I strongly disapprove of both his racquet bashing at Olympics and withdrawing from MD letting his country and partner down).

Reactions: Fiero425

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
Actually, I tend to think the other way. That loss kind of blows off the pressure. Moreover, it would make him more careful and wanting to accomplish at USO. I think it is a worthwhile trip (although I strongly disapprove of both his racquet bashing at Olympics and withdrawing from MD letting his country and partner down).

extreme heat, no fans present (which sucks the atmosphere out of an olympic competition), bouts of immature emotional outbursts, letting MD partner down, by withdrawing, confidence bruised and now he's even talking about an 'injury'. This is what you call downward spiral..

it was ill advised.... i think greedy. I don't think people realize how much slams take from you physically and mentally. The stresses on mind and body and immense. I have no doubt that Nadal's 09 injuries had to do with him winning AO that year, it was brutal. Djoker's injuries in 17 had to do with 4 straight slam wins... 3/5 sets against top hungry competition creates enormous stresses on mind/body. The mental stresses are real, you can look at how Djokovic reacted when he beat Berrettini at FO, it was a sign of severe stress.... and this happens constantly throughout a match with many close sets and points... the physical part is obvious

He was in a position no man since laver in 69 was in this year, winning 1st 3 slams of the year.... IMO, he needed rest and about 1 month of it...

I'm picking Nadal over Djokovic at USO... but Medvedev, Zverev and Thiem are good bets as-well. It's probably Zverev's time..

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
it was ill advised.... i think greedy.

Ya, it was greedy. But, these people are greedy. He was hoping people would give it to him (i.e., OG would fall on his lap without much effort). It did not happen. But, it could have happened. I would say worth the try.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm picking Nadal over Djokovic at USO... but Medvedev, Zverev and Thiem Tits are good bets as-well. It's probably Zverev's time..

Fixed it for you. Thiem is practicing with his non-dominant hand right now (as he is having wrist issues). It is highly doubtful he will be relevant in this year's USO.

I think Nadal vs. Djokovic won't happen at USO as one or both would lose before they are scheduled to meet.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Fixed it for you. Thiem is practicing with his non-dominant hand right now (as he is having wrist issues). It is highly doubtful he will be relevant in this year's USO.

I think Nadal vs. Djokovic won't happen at USO as one or both would lose before they are scheduled to meet.
Y'all are so negative about Thiem.. SMH2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ya, it was greedy. But, these people are greedy. He was hoping people would give it to him (i.e., OG would fall on his lap without much effort). It did not happen. But, it could have happened. I would say worth the try.
They didn't get where they are by not being greedy. And you don't get if you don't play. Say what you will about the Olympics, but it's clear that he has wanted a gold medal, and this really would have been his shot at the Golden CYGS. It'll be a question if it was worth the risk. Apparently his father tried to talk him out of going.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Wait, I thought that you believe that Djokovic is going into the USO motivated and ready to win CYGS. And I'm pretty sure that Nadal is motivated to stop him. And let's face it, he has lots of experience stopping Roger and Novak just before they get all 4. And if they meet, could be SF.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Y'all are so negative about Thiem.. SMH2
No one is dissing Thiem. He hasn't gotten out of the bottom rounds of a tournament since Madrid, and he hasn't played since Mallorca. His physio calls him a ?? for the USO, which doesn't sound like he's likely to defend there. That's just being realistic.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
greed got in the way.... these guys, when winning, have a hard time taking a pause. We saw it in 09, after Nadal dominated 08.. and he got injured. We saw it in 17 after Nole won 4 slams in a row in 15-16.... injury which sidelined him for 1 year. No matter how fit and strong Nadal and Djokovic are, they are human. They have struggled to pace theselves during hot streaks...

This serves djokovic right. Played in empty stadiums, in extreme heat, crushed by Zverev and couldn't even get bronze. Was it worth it? Now, US Open not looking very promising. Nadal has a great shot, he plays well at USO hardcourt and seems rested and ready to roll..
I've addressed "greed," which isn't terrible in an athlete. But I think you make a good point about players on a hot streak not knowing when to listen to their bodies and minds.

I will quibble with the bolded above, that Novak was sidelined for a year with injury. He wasn't. Maximum he didn't play was from a Wimbledon loss to the end of the year. He complained of wrist after the Rio losses at OG in 2016, but did manage to make the final of USO that year, which is about 6-7 months. After losing in the 2nd round of the AO in 2017, it was the elbow. TBH, I don't think the 2 years between Majors was all injury-related. (I know this is a debate.) The burn-out after winning the FO/Nole Slam was understandable, but I always thought that it was combined with the blow of losing first round at the Rio OG, singles, then doubles, and then bailing on Mixed doubles there. All together, an emotional blow. I personally think that set him on a mental walkabout. I know his fans say it was all about injury, but the injury reports were random, conflicting, and not wholly convincing. This is why I think, like you, that the loss at the OG can do him harm for his quest at the USO. Who knows, until all is said and done, but I think he's saying he feels burnt out. Not a lot of recovery time until the USO. As you say, there is a reason that no man has done it since Laver in the 60s. @GameSetAndMath doesn't like my comparison to Serena, but she was within 2 matches, and the strongest woman in the field at the time, and got stopped. And she didn't have to go the Olympics in between. It's a tall order, and I don't think Novak is a mental giant.

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
I've addressed "greed," which isn't terrible in an athlete. But I think you make a good point about players on a hot streak not knowing when to listen to their bodies and minds.

I will quibble with the bolded above, that Novak was sidelined for a year with injury. He wasn't. Maximum he didn't play was from a Wimbledon loss to the end of the year. He complained of wrist after the Rio losses at OG in 2016, but did manage to make the final of USO that year, which is about 6-7 months. After losing in the 2nd round of the AO in 2017, it was the elbow. TBH, I don't think the 2 years between Majors was all injury-related. (I know this is a debate.) The burn-out after winning the FO/Nole Slam was understandable, but I always thought that it was combined with the blow of losing first round at the Rio OG, singles, then doubles, and then bailing on Mixed doubles there. All together, an emotional blow. I personally think that set him on a mental walkabout. I know his fans say it was all about injury, but the injury reports were random, conflicting, and not wholly convincing. This is why I think, like you, that the loss at the OG can do him harm for his quest at the USO. Who knows, until all is said and done, but I think he's saying he feels burnt out. Not a lot of recovery time until the USO. As you say, there is a reason that no man has done it since Laver in the 60s. @GameSetAndMath doesn't like my comparison to Serena, but she was within 2 matches, and the strongest woman in the field at the time, and got stopped. And she didn't have to go the Olympics in between. It's a tall order, and I don't think Novak is a mental giant.
You really are questioning the elbow injury? It’s like me saying nadal and federer never had injuries, ‘questionable’. Djokovic stopped playing for 6 months, he wasn’t sure if he would ever be back at the top. It was a big problem and i believe had all to do with the incredible dominant period he had around 15-16..

‘During the time of getting proper treatment for the injury, I didn’t play a competitive match for six months, but the fact is this injury occurred much earlier – I was carrying the problem on the tour for almost two-and-a-half years before I did something about it.’

‘I didn’t take the time out that I needed to, which was necessary to repair and recover the injury. I was instead using short-term
quick-fix methods to try to help me get through matches and tournaments. I was taking anti-inflammatory tablets – things that I don’t usually take – but if I hadn’t have taken them, I would never have been able to play.’

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No one is dissing Thiem. He hasn't gotten out of the bottom rounds of a tournament since Madrid, and he hasn't played since Mallorca. His physio calls him a ?? for the USO, which doesn't sound like he's likely to defend there. That's just being realistic.
I have to agree as we discussed yesterday after the Mens Gold Medal match and I told you he has still got his right wrist taped and was practicing indoors on a HC with his left arm,he has pulled out of Toronto and lets see if he can play Cinncy before the USO,even before his wrist injury,to me mentally he had lost it.I feel he has not been the same player since the finals in London 2020.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am also putting a question mark on Zverev? he can win in 3 sets matches,to me struggles in a 5 set match,mentally and if his first serving goes missing he tends to double fault and his games spiral's downward.He has not beaten a 10 ten player in a GS tournament.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am also putting a question mark on Zverev? he can win in 3 sets matches,to me struggles in a 5 set match,mentally and if his first serving goes missing he tends to double fault and his games spiral's downward.He has not beaten a 10 ten player in a GS tournament.
For him is mostly inner fight with his deamons and is very hard to trust him. He has improved a lot with consistency in slams, but struggles to deliver when it happens the most, against top opponents. I reckon this will change at some point, but when it is hard to say. I have a feeling he will do well in USO. On the other hand I don't believe Tsitsipas is going to do well, he disappeared after RG.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
For him is mostly inner fight with his deamons and is very hard to trust him. He has improved a lot with consistency in slams, but struggles to deliver when it happens the most, against top opponents. I reckon this will change at some point, but when it is hard to say. I have a feeling he will do well in USO. On the other hand I don't believe Tsitsipas is going to do well, he disappeared after RG.
Well he should have defeated Domi in 3 sets in last year's USO final he had MPs,then faded away,agree his mental concentration eludes him at critical times in matches.,let's see at this year's USO if he can deliver against Top players.Yes the Young Greek since RG has not produced his best tennis,though back on the HC,he should be able to find his game again.

Reactions: don_fabio