The Rankings Thread (ATP)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafanoy is an expert when it comes to analyzing.
I am not an expert, I am just a regular Rafael Nadal and tennis fan.

As for Matteo, he can’t gain any points for this Grass court season as he is defending his Queen’s title AND Wimbledon is dropping the 2022 points due to the ban.

Matteo will still be in the Top 20 even with the drop in the Wimbledon points.

Reactions: Moxie and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not an expert, I am just a regular Rafael Nadal and tennis fan.

As for Matteo, he can’t gain any points for this Grass court season as he is defending his Queen’s title AND Wimbledon is dropping the 2022 points due to the ban.

Matteo will still be in the Top 20 even with the drop in the Wimbledon points.
Thanks well in my view you are a expert in the ranking points etc.
Gee Matteo wont be a happy camper, he is upset he will lose his points from last year and thinks it is unfair that players at Wimbledon should not lose points.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks well in my view you are a expert in the ranking points etc.
Gee Matteo wont be a happy camper, he is upset he will lose his points from last year and thinks it is unfair that players at Wimbledon should not lose points.
He has the right to be upset because he did well on Grass last year. On the other hand, if you freeze the points from 2021, then the players who did not do well last year can’t improve their rankings this year

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
He will be Aight

Esp. if Medevedev continues to lose to WC's and other players outside the top 200! I couldn't believe how badly he lost the final today at Rosmalen event to some Dutch player I never heard of! How does Daniil do that; tame the #1 player in the world at The USO, then crash and burn vs some nobody in a 250 event? Too bizarre! :facepalm: :shushing-face::face-vomiting::pleading-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just had a thought in regards to Wimbledon this year, why don't they just leave Wimbledon 2021 points as is and forget about 2022 isn't happening, then the points come off in 2023 at Wimbledon

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just had a thought in regards to Wimbledon this year, why don't they just leave Wimbledon 2021 points as is and forget about 2022 isn't happening, then the points come off in 2023 at Wimbledon
That is basically the same as freezing the 2021 Wimbledon points. If you do that, then the lesser good/great players who will do better this year will get upset because he or she could not gain points.

I understand Djokovic's and Berrettini's argument because they did well last year and more than likely will do well this year again. But, what about Shapovalov? What happens if Shapovalov loses before the Quarterfinals this year and let's say either Marin Cilic or Alcaraz reach the SF this year. Then, it is kinda unfair to them.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That is basically the same as freezing the 2021 Wimbledon points. If you do that, then the lesser good/great players who will do better this year will get upset because he or she could not gain points.

I understand Djokovic's and Berrettini's argument because they did well last year and more than likely will do well this year again. But, what about Shapovalov? What happens if Shapovalov loses before the Quarterfinals this year and let's say either Marin Cilic or Alcaraz reach the SF this year. Then, it is kinda unfair to them.
Yes, it is a no win situation I guess.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, it is a no win situation I guess.
The best solution I can think of is freeze the ranking points of the banned players and make the Wimbledon ranking points a 1,000 point system instead the normal 2,000 point system.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The best solution I can think of is freeze the ranking points of the banned players and make the Wimbledon ranking points a 1,000 point system instead the normal 2,000 point system.
Do you think the players would be okay with that,instead of the normal 2000 point system, though it does seem way fairer than what is going on at present

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Do you think the players would be okay with that,instead of the normal 2000 point system, though it does seem way fairer than what is going on at present
It is why you are correct that there's a no win-win situation for everyone involved.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The ranking is such an overrated system IMO..if 2 of the big 3 are healthy, they're still the top two players regardless of the rankings points. We just saw the #205 player (all credit to him and his team) dismantle 4 or 5 top ranked players.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One important note: Once June 20th starts, you will know more than likely the rankings of the players, after the drop of 2021 (2019 too, if a player did not play last year) Wimbledon points. For example: Rafael Nadal has 6,525 points currently. He won't play any tournaments before Wimbledon, therefore 6,525 points is his points going into the slam. Because he is dropping 360 points, he will have 6,165 points on the week of July 11th.

Zverev, Djokovic, and Alcaraz are the other Top 10 players you should able to figure out the rankings as each one of them will not play a warm-up tournament. In Zverev's case, he is actually injured.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is there a reason why they are removing Wimbledon points this early? Wasn’t Wimbledon played the last week of June last year?
The 2021 Wimbledon points will officially drop on July 11th (the day after the Men’s Final). It’s just this year there will be no points added to the rankings; therefore, you can calculate the ranking points of most players before the start of Wimbledon.