The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I dunno, he’s the world number one, I’d say he might think that way in Rome, not Paris. Slam is a slam, no matter what way we look at it, he’s gonna want to get stuck in, I’d imagine?
Plus, isn't England still going to keep him out of the grass season? He needs to play when and where he can, if Russian tennis players are going to get punished for what Putin has done. (And continues to do.)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Plus, isn't England still going to keep him out of the grass season? He needs to play when and where he can, if Russian tennis players are going to get punished for what Putin has done. (And continues to do.)
Yeah, but just general hunger and pride these guys have, especially players who reach the very top. Medvedev is no Rios, who was an exception in that regard. I actually see no reason why Medvedev doesn’t do better on clay, and I think it’s only a matter of time before he has a run at it. This year, he’ll play under the radar and try go as deep as he can. And yes, no Wimbledon for him, he’s facing a shortened second half of the year..

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I just looked at the scenarios for the number 1 ranking:

If Djokovic does not reach Rome SF, Medvedev is back to the top rankings next week.

If Djokovic does reach Rome SF, Medvedev needs to win one match at Geneva Open (one week after Italian Open) to regain the number 1 ranking on the week of May 23rd.

If Djokovic does reach Rome F, then he will be ranked number 1 player in the world until the end of RG.
If I have it covered correctly, Rafa's best scenario is to win Roma. By defending his title and if Novak looses before the semi, Daniil's ranking would be 1 and the highest Rafa could be ranked is #3.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If I have it covered correctly, Rafa's best scenario is to win Roma. By defending his title and if Novak looses before the semi, Daniil's ranking would be 1 and the highest Rafa could be ranked is #3.

Isn’t there a “worse case” scenario where Rafa bombs and drops to #5 before the French? But then again it’s not good to overthink the hypotheticals because then Rafa couldn’t possibly meet Alcaraz until the SF’s, LOL.

Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Isn’t there a “worse case” scenario where Rafa bombs and drops to #5 before the French? But then again it’s not good to overthink the hypotheticals because then Rafa couldn’t possibly meet Alcaraz until the SF’s, LOL.
As long as Rafa is healthy meaning he is able to compete with low pain or any type of hinderance in his movement, I am not concerned about him facing Alcaraz, Novak or any tennis player that ever step on a tennis court. I am expecting to see RG 2020 Rafa reemerge again.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Always good to remember that no one wants Rafa to be seeded #5 at Roland Garros, most especially the other players.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As long as Rafa is healthy meaning he is able to compete with low pain or any type of hinderance in his movement, I am not concerned about him facing Alcaraz, Novak or any tennis player that ever step on a tennis court. I am expecting to see RG 2020 Rafa reemerge again.
Always good to remember that no one wants Rafa to be seeded #5 at Roland Garros, most especially the other players.
Yikes, context is everything. My point is that all these "best case" and "worst case" scenarios are never ending circular arguments, thus the tongue in cheek of avoiding Alcaraz ; per my previous post all that matters is a healthy and matchtough Rafa. I suppose the tension of the French Open is getting to you two... ;-):

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Some people have short memories.....Rafa won RG when he was seeded 5 remember? agree with your thoughts on this one though noone would want to face Rafa seeded 5th...RG ranking are made on May 16th

Reactions: the AntiPusher

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
With Zverev winning today and Djokovic losing today, Zverev is guaranteed to reach a career high of number 2 ranking in the world overtaking Djokovic in the rankings on June 13th.

Now, Zverev can become the new no.1 player in the world this upcoming Monday IF he wins the RG title.

Here are the rankings scenarios:

If Zverev wins RG title, then the rankings as of June 6th:

1.Zverev
2.Djokovic
3.Medvedev

If Zverev wins RG title, then the rankings as of June 13th:

1.Zverev
2.Medvedev
3.Djokovic

If Zverev does not win RG title BUT reaches the final, then the rankings as of June 6th:

1.Djokovic
2.Zverev
3.Medvedev

If Zverev does not win RG title BUT reaches the final, then the rankings as of June 13th:

1.Medvedev
2.Zverev
3.Djokovic

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just realized this through a friend but on June 13th rankings:

5. Tsitsipas 4900
6. Alcaraz 4890

Both players are not defending any Grass tournament points. Basically, whomever does better on the warm-up events between the two players will more than likely be the 4th seed at Wimbledon, and that is HUGE!

In addition, with Djokovic's loss today plus Wimbledon dropping points this year, Djokovic will drop to 4,770 points after Wimbledon tournament. Now, he can play a warm-up tournament before Wimbledon to gain points, but I doubt he will do that.

Those 4,770 points will still be good for a Top 8 ranking for Djokovic.

• Wow

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just realized this through a friend but on June 13th rankings:

5. Tsitsipas 4900
6. Alcaraz 4890

Both players are not defending any Grass tournament points. Basically, whomever does better on the warm-up events between the two players will more than likely be the 4th seed at Wimbledon, and that is HUGE!

In addition, with Djokovic's loss today plus Wimbledon dropping points this year, Djokovic will drop to 4,770 points after Wimbledon tournament. Now, he can play a warm-up tournament before Wimbledon to gain points, but I doubt he will do that.

Those 4,770 points will still be good for a Top 8 ranking for Djokovic.
I thought with Rafa's win today he will be ranked 4th? due to the fact The Young Greek failed to defend his finalists points last year at RG?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought with Rafa's win today he will be ranked 4th? due to the fact The Young Greek failed to defend his finalists points last year at RG?
Nadal will still be ranked 4th in the rankings. I put numbers 5 and 6 next to the names representing their rankings.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh that’s right no points for Wimbledon and currently not able to play the US Open or Cincy. I wonder how far his drop down will be.
Here's another thing too:

Djokovic is defending 1,000 points at Paris Masters and 600 points at ATP Tour finals. So, the only way he can add points in those tournaments is to reach final or win ATP Tour Finals.

He can play in China but he has to quarantine in China for 14 to 21 days after landing in China.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Here's another thing too:

Djokovic is defending 1,000 points at Paris Masters and 600 points at ATP Tour finals. So, the only way he can add points in those tournaments is to reach final or win ATP Tour Finals.

He can play in China but he has to quarantine in China for 14 to 21 days after landing in China.
Do you really think Novak will want to quarantine in China for 14 to 21 days, I know COVID is bad in many places in China at present
Shanghai is dreadful, people are not allowed to go out last time I heard

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Do you really think Novak will want to quarantine in China for 14 to 21 days, I know COVID is bad in many places in China at present
Shanghai is dreadful, people are not allowed to go out last time I heard
I do not think so, but if he wants to get match reps then China is one of those countries he can enter without vaccine requirements.

Unless he wants to enter those 250 and 500 events in Europe (which he probably could if he wanted to).

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I do not think so, but if he wants to get match reps then China is one of those countries he can enter without vaccine requirements.

Unless he wants to enter those 250 and 500 events in Europe (which he probably could if he wanted to).
I thought top 10 players were limited to (2) 250 tournaments per year.