The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don’t like the Crown Prince but Geeze……

Has to be such mixed feelings for Zverev. Now Climbs to a career high #2 in the rankings, only with that ankle injury at Roland Garros he is out. Skeptical that’s he’s back at good form the rest of this year. Can’t see him defending his Masters win in Cincy or even be back by the USO. He’s 5th in the race to Turin and if he misses that there goes another 1300 points. So from #2 he could drop below top 12 by YE.

Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is very SIMPLE. NO NON US citizen aint getting into the US without a jab.. No need for Novak to even begin to start that drama again, which even he cant be that stupid.
They’ll change that, brother. The rest of the world is moving on, America will catch up. Maybe politics is making them a bit slow, but eventually even they need to smell the cappuccino…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t have huge sympathy for blokes like Shapo whining about the points drop. Players who blow hot and cold throughout the year. Funny thing is he could blow cold at Wimbledon. I’d have more sympathy for Novak.

But, I’ve no real sympathy for any of them on this one. There’s a brutal war going on that may get even further out of control, tennis is small chips, and some of the guys affected are the same guys who benefited from the covid ranking freeze. We live in strange times, they’ll be fine, they should focus on what they can bring to the public, and also strive for greater consistency in their play…

Reactions: Moxie and kskate2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t have huge sympathy for blokes like Shapo whining about the points drop. Players who blow hot and cold throughout the year. Funny thing is he could blow cold at Wimbledon. I’d have more sympathy for Novak.

But, I’ve no real sympathy for any of them on this one. There’s a brutal war going on that may get even further out of control, tennis is small chips, and some of the guys affected are the same guys who benefited from the covid ranking freeze. We live in strange times, they’ll be fine, they should focus on what they can bring to the public, and also strive for greater consistency in their play…
Sharpo : One of his problems is that he watches his strokes or as the guys in Chicago would tell me You watching your shot instead of moving with the ball. Sharpo is just a bit of a swashbuckler who really has zero concept of being poised. If I think about the top of the tour ten years ago, I recall players like JowillieTs, Berydch , Ferrer, Monfils, the glass Samurai who gave what they had to the sport but didn't try to cheapened the game with all the shanangians that we see week end week out. I don't watch a Nicky K match to see if he can win, I usually hear later that he has done something asinine to draw attention to himself.

Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Sharpo : One of his problems is that he watches his strokes or as the guys in Chicago would tell me You watching your shot instead of moving with the ball. Sharpo is just a bit of a swashbuckler who really has zero concept of being poised. If I think about the top of the tour ten years ago, I recall players like JowillieTs, Berydch , Ferrer, Monfils, the glass Samurai who gave what they had to the sport but didn't try to cheapened the game with all the shanangians that we see week end week out. I don't watch a Nicky K match to see if he can win, I usually hear later that he has done something asinine to draw attention to himself.
To me, Nick is a part time player, possibly one with real mental health issues as opposed to modish mental health movements, the type of self publicising stuff we see from Naomi-Me-Me!

I think Nick might actually have mental health issues, but I think he brought them on himself. Too indisciplined, too endeared by the lazy life, the bright lights of nonsense. He’s one of the least professional professionals we’ve seen. He’s nasty and childish, incapable of knuckling down, and it’s a great pity because his talent is worth a few slam finals and maybe even a few slams, at least…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
To me, Nick is a part time player, possibly one with real mental health issues as opposed to modish mental health movements, the type of self publicising stuff we see from Naomi-Me-Me!

I think Nick might actually have mental health issues, but I think he brought them on himself. Too indisciplined, too endeared by the lazy life, the bright lights of nonsense. He’s one of the least professional professionals we’ve seen. He’s nasty and childish, incapable of knuckling down, and it’s a great pity because his talent is worth a few slam finals and maybe even a few slams, at least…
Nick is most likely bi polar but that's not an excuse for his behavior. in the past, I have alluded to Nick's meds was wearing off, maybe it's some validity to it

Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
They’ll change that, brother. The rest of the world is moving on, America will catch up. Maybe politics is making them a bit slow, but eventually even they need to smell the cappuccino…
This is precisely why it will be awhile I believe. Politics in this country can bring something to a screeching halt or slow it down to below a snails pace.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is precisely why it will be awhile I believe. Politics in this country can bring something to a screeching halt or slow it down to below a snails pace.
Oh I understand - and I can only sympathise with you in that regard…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh I understand - and I can only sympathise with you in that regard…
And not to keep hijacking this thread on the covid issues, but the US does have bigger fish to fry, and they won't care about changing the vaccine regulations any time soon. It's just not on the list. And the list is long. Too bad for Novak...or, get the vaccine.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And not to keep hijacking this thread on the covid issues, but the US does have bigger fish to fry, and they won't care about changing the vaccine regulations any time soon. It's just not on the list. And the list is long. Too bad for Novak...or, get the vaccine.
And if Australia doesn’t renew Djokovic’s visa in 2023, that means Djokovic’s next slam will not be until 11 months! By that time, Djokovic will be 36…

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
And if Australia doesn’t renew Djokovic’s visa in 2023, that means Djokovic’s next slam will not be until 11 months! By that time, Djokovic will be 36…
Even with our new government they are keeping the rule firmly intact, I would be very surprised if Novak is allowed entry to AO in 2023

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Even with our new government they are keeping the rule firmly intact, I would be very surprised if Novak is allowed entry to AO in 2023
So Novak could play the AO again at age 38? if he can get a new visa back into Australia., after being banned for 3 years
Majority of Aussies were angry he was allowed into Australia in the first place and let the government know of their anger.
BTW I just went to make certain the overseas travelers coming into Australia need to show a vaccine passport they have had 2 vaccinations of COVID that was updated on the 18th May, 2022, though they dont require a negative test of COVID now on arrival.
On that basis Novak would be still unable to enter Australia unless he decides to get COVID vaccinations.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Too bad for all of us who have seen sense about the vaccines. The US will catch up when policy making is based on sense, too, and not playground-level politics.

It’s a pity Djoker won’t be there. I always fancy Rafa against him in New York…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Novak made so many misjudgments in January that you’re right. He lied, he broke the law, he basically became an insane man. His desperation overcame his ability to think clearly. And he earned a ban if that’s their usual price, and if that’s what they apply to everybody, regardless of who they are. He didn’t just make mistakes - he lied, he committed crimes, he was foolish…

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Take a look at the live rankings. Wimbledon having no ranking points really messes with things. Novak is down to No. 7, even though there’s an excellent chance he’ll win the tournament. Nadal would already be No. 2, since he’s into the SF and Zverev isn’t there.
B18FF5FB-FDED-4846-A1C8-05FE2B881F80.jpeg

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Take a look at the live rankings. Wimbledon having no ranking points really messes with things. Novak is down to No. 7, even though there’s an excellent chance he’ll win the tournament. Nadal would already be No. 2, since he’s into the SF and Zverev isn’t there.
View attachment 6865
This is messed up in so many ways.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Totally. The inept response of the tour to Wimbledon is to punish the players. :facepalm:

I can understand why Wimbledon did what they did, but the two tours? Nah…
I may have already said this on this thread, or maybe on another one, but I think the tours were hoping that push-back would get Wimbledon to change its mind. When they didn't, ATP/WTA couldn't back down on their position, so it ended up being terrible for the players on both sides. Not excusing the tactic, just providing a theory of where it came from.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I may have already said this on this thread, or maybe on another one, but I think the tours were hoping that push-back would get Wimbledon to change its mind. When they didn't, ATP/WTA couldn't back down on their position, so it ended up being terrible for the players on both sides. Not excusing the tactic, just providing a theory of where it came from.
I think you’re right. It’s a pity all round, and maybe there’s a massive failing in communication too..