The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay so I know this has prolly been discussed till you’re all sick of it, but can anyone explain to me how Wodger is still ranked 41 in the world? He’s higher than Sebastian Korda, ffs. He’s even higher than Murray! And they’re both playing.

:popcorn

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Okay so I know this has prolly been discussed till you’re all sick of it, but can anyone explain to me how Wodger is still ranked 41 in the world? He’s higher than Sebastian Korda, ffs. He’s even higher than Murray! And they’re both playing.

:popcorn
Only @rafanoy1992 can answer this question with 100% accuracy. He has it all worked out. He is the Master of the Covid-19 Ranking System calculations. We need his help, I am also interested.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Only @rafanoy1992 can answer this question with 100% accuracy. He has it all worked out. He is the Master of the Covid-19 Ranking System calculations. We need his help, I am also interested.
Basically, Covid rankings should have gone the way of the mask. Old fashioned stuff. Tournaments are happening now, players are travelling. Roger got protected points, but Novak didn't for Australia? Roger's problem isn't Covid, it's that he's old and his body can't take the strain anymore. He hadn't entered any tournaments after February 2020, he announced he was going to be out until after Wimbledon that year - but he still kept the points? In 2020? It's 2022 and he's not gonna play Wimbledon this year either. It's time to pull the chain, me thinks.

Flush him... :popcorn

Reactions: don_fabio

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
With the win today against Tsitsipas, Carlos Alcaraz, at age 18, will enter the Top 10 rankings for the very first time in his career this upcoming Monday. If he wins the Barcelona Open title, he will reach a career high ranking of nine.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This from Tennis Channel, as the Barcelona final is about to begin:

25 April 2005: 18-year-old Rafa Nadal entered the top 10 for the first time after winning Barcelona (so far yet to leave top 10, either.)

25 April 2022: 18-year-old Carlos Alcaraz set to enter the top 10 for the first time after Barcelona, win or lose in the final today. (Tomorrow is the 25th, so when the new rankings come out.)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This from Tennis Channel, as the Barcelona final is about to begin:

25 April 2005: 18-year-old Rafa Nadal entered the top 10 for the first time after winning Barcelona (so far yet to leave top 10, either.)

25 April 2022: 18-year-old Carlos Alcaraz set to enter the top 10 for the first time after Barcelona, win or lose in the final today. (Tomorrow is the 25th, so when the new rankings come out.)
I just hope Alcaraz does not win 2022 RG yet...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
So nearly14 months into the resumption of a regular tennis playing schedule,
We have Good news , as Federer moved up a slot in the rankings this last week, LOL.
So did Pete Sampras. If Pete plays no more tennis in his career, he’ll break the top five by Christmas 2027…

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Carlitos Alcaraz will be #6 on Monday. Nadal went into the 2005 French Open at #5, I think. I know the parallels are irresistible and will be tortured, but in any case, the kid is rising with a bullet.

Reactions: shawnbm

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafanoy if you are around

Seeing that Zverev did not defend his points in Madrid....will the points come off now? also where does that place Rafa at present
Thanks

Reactions: the AntiPusher

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafanoy if you are around

Seeing that Zverev did not defend his points in Madrid....will the points come off now? also where does that place Rafa at present
Thanks
Yeah, he lost 400 points because he did not defend Madrid.

The Top 4 rankings does not change this upcoming week.

Now, next week (May 16th), Medvedev can return to being World 1 IF Djokovic does not reach Rome SF this upcoming week.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Now, next week (May 16th), Medvedev can return to being World 1 IF Djokovic does not reach Rome SF this upcoming week.

Novak's dragging way behind in ATP points with little success until this last month of play! This will be a weekly theme with him unless he's somehow able to defend his FO title! It's a must or he'll fall way down IMO! He's come back from the dead in 2018 to win Wimbledon & the USO, but that was 5 years ago! :fearful-face: :astonished-face::shushing-face:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Even if Novak's #1 ranking dropped below Daniil's ranking, Novak will still get the top seed at RG regardless.

Reactions: Fiero425

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Even if Novak's #1 ranking dropped below Daniil's ranking, Novak will still get the top seed at RG regardless.
Well, it depends on whether or not Medvedev decides to play RG AND when does Medvedev regain the number 1 ranking.

If Djokovic fails to reach Rome SF AND Medvedev plays RG, then Medvedev is the top seed at RG.

If Djokovic does reach Rome SF, then Djokovic is the Top seed at RG even IF Medvedev regains the number 1 ranking at the week of May 23.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just looked at the scenarios for the number 1 ranking:

If Djokovic does not reach Rome SF, Medvedev is back to the top rankings next week.

If Djokovic does reach Rome SF, Medvedev needs to win one match at Geneva Open (one week after Italian Open) to regain the number 1 ranking on the week of May 23rd.

If Djokovic does reach Rome F, then he will be ranked number 1 player in the world until the end of RG.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, it depends on whether or not Medvedev decides to play RG AND when does Medvedev regain the number 1 ranking.

If Djokovic fails to reach Rome SF AND Medvedev plays RG, then Medvedev is the top seed at RG.

If Djokovic does reach Rome SF, then Djokovic is the Top seed at RG even IF Medvedev regains the number 1 ranking at the week of May 23.
I forgot that Medvedev may play RG. Thanks for the reminder.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I forgot that Medvedev may play RG. Thanks for the reminder
I can't see the upside for a rusty Medvedev to play Roland Garros at this point. It's irrelevant whether he's ranked #1 or #2 for the upcoming HC fall season, which is his bread and butter and for which he wants to be fully prepared.

Yes, he's defending QF points at RG, but let's face it, he hates the surface and why risk injury if not fully prepared and match-fit which would than jeopardize his Fall season. Short of Novak repeating at the FO, Medvedev has a 550 swing back to his favor ranking points wise at the end of RG, but again, I don't think it's that important to him.

The sponsors want the players to play the Majors for major exposure so at best I could see him make a half hearted effort to show up and not play all out in the 1st round .

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't see the upside for a rusty Medvedev to play Roland Garros at this point. It's irrelevant whether he's ranked #1 or #2 for the upcoming HC fall season, which is his bread and butter and for which he wants to be fully prepared.

Yes, he's defending QF points at RG, but let's face it, he hates the surface and why risk injury if not fully prepared and match-fit which would than jeopardize his Fall season. Short of Novak repeating at the FO, Medvedev has a 550 swing back to his favor ranking points wise at the end of RG, but again, I don't think it's that important to him.

The sponsors want the players to play the Majors for major exposure so at best I could see him make a half hearted effort to show up and not play all out in the 1st round .
I dunno, he’s the world number one, I’d say he might think that way in Rome, not Paris. Slam is a slam, no matter what way we look at it, he’s gonna want to get stuck in, I’d imagine?