The Rankings Thread (ATP)

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
With Novak skipping IW's, he's putting himself in jeapardy of losing the YE #1 ranking! Thank goodness Daniil has a ton of points to defend thru the YEC/WTF! Hopefully Nole gets some rest, but gets back on court to make sure he acquires that 7th YE #1 to set himself apart form Fedal!:star: :-)2
It would be a real pity to win 3 slams and not finish YE no.1. Decision to skip IW is understandable, but he has to perform well in Paris and Torino (Turin).

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It would be a real pity to win 3 slams and not finish YE no.1. Decision to skip IW is understandable, but he has to perform well in Paris and Torino (Turin).
That would be a huge ask for Medvedev. He's defending 2500 points at Bercy and YEC, I think. He'd have to defend those AND do really well at everything else he touches. Late season is a good time of the year for Meddie, but I don't see it happening.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That would be a huge ask for Medvedev. He's defending 2500 points at Bercy and YEC, I think. He'd have to defend those AND do really well at everything else he touches. Late season is a good time of the year for Meddie, but I don't see it happening.
In the race, he’s only 2000 points behind. This is the best way to gauge who will end the season #1. He could do himself a huge favour if he wins Indian wells..
F68BE9AA-963F-408E-A67C-1212870D6656.png

Reactions: tented and Moxie

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’ll eat my hat if anyone other than Novak is year end top dog. Win three majors and lose in final of the last one of the year and not be top hit for the year? Huh ?

Reactions: Mile

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I’ll eat my hat if anyone other than Novak is year end top dog. Win three majors and lose in final of the last one of the year and not be top hit for the year? Huh ?
It's already happened before back in 2016 for the most part! Novak had won 2 Majors (Nole-Slam) and was a finalist in both the USO and YEC, but still wound up 2nd to Murray who stole the YE #1 by taking every 500 event he could get to! That was a travesty & made the tour look ridiculous! :facepalm:

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, but it's a points game. And as Kieran reminded me above, it's points for this year. The ITF will make a subjective call, but the ATP does it on points. Some people get their panties in a twist over that every third year for some reason, but it's pretty straight-forward.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Medvedev can try to steal no.1, but on the other hand there is a slight lack of tournaments too. If he wins Indian Wells and St. Petersburg he will be 1250 points closer, that is about 800 points before Vienna, Paris and Torino. Anything can happen, it's not like he is tired or something, he is 25 and can play all these tournaments if he wants. If Novak doesn't perform well in Paris and Torino there is a possibility, so who knows, might get interesting.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Medvedev can try to steal no.1, but on the other hand there is a slight lack of tournaments too. If he wins Indian Wells and St. Petersburg he will be 1250 points closer, that is about 800 points before Vienna, Paris and Torino. Anything can happen, it's not like he is tired or something, he is 25 and can play all these tournaments if he wants. If Novak doesn't perform well in Paris and Torino there is a possibility, so who knows, might get interesting.
HIs best chance is that they've shoe-horned IW in there, so an extra 1000 points on offer.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
NextGen's are probably exahsted. I saw they play around 10 tours more than Djoker. Seeing back, Cicipas once played even 30 ! Djokers avarage around 16 per year. Medvedev-Zverev have around 5-7 more than Djoker per year. So i think good for Djoker to end the year with some win.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Cameron Norrie up to ten in the race, not far behind that jaded old donkey from Mallorca. :clap: :clap:
A088905E-4628-460B-A9BC-26E3B6F346BF.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Well, he has a point about Federer, who withdrew from everything up to Wimbledon before the pandemic hit, and yet still kept points from the tournaments he wasn't gonna play anyway, but this kid is only 18, and things are settling down, I don't think he's being held back too much...

It's that sense of entitlement that drives me insane! Roger was playing the system knowing damn well what he was doing; inflating another rec.! ;-)

Reactions: Kieran

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I can agree with that! It was total BS freezing points in such a way that Federer remained in the top 10 and wasn't even playing! :facepalm: :shushing-face: :face-vomiting:
Yes, and I've said that they unduly benefit Roger and artificially inflate his ranking, but they also apply to everyone, so...well, Rune has to earn it, just like everyone else. He should win a Challenger too and go deeper in lower events, just like everyone else before him.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Ironically these are the live race rankings:

70. Rune
71. Federer

I assume everything re-sets with the new year and we go back to the old system? Roger will be veering on the edge of the top 100, and Rune will probably get direct entry into the AO.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Will have to catch repeat of Brooksby match! Schwartzman seems to have dominated taking the last 8 games! Right on sched; another burnout! :facepalm:
Dude, you're too hard on the young guys and put so much weight on individual losses. It almost seems that if a young player isn't an insta-Borg, they're a complete failure.

Reactions: Moxie