The Rankings Thread (ATP)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger is irritated that he did not win a GS this year. So, he wants to win WTF at least to compensate. That is why he skipped Bercy also. Also, Roger has rounded back to form. Roger is more than likely to win WTF. So, I don't see any chance of Med passing Roger again this year.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger is irritated that he did not win a GS this year. So, he wants to win WTF at least to compensate. That is why he skipped Bercy also. Also, Roger has rounded back to form. Roger is more than likely to win WTF. So, I don't see any chance of Med passing Roger again this year.

That depends also on Novak and what form he is in at the WTF. I suppose I favor Basel Roger on fast best of three courts, but Novak would be his main challenge.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What a season for Berrettini! A guy came almost out of nowhere and now is in a top 10.
It's also funny how "coming out of nowhere" inspires no suspicion amongst certain posters here. (Not you, Don Fabio.) Kinda same with the "indefatigable" Medvedev. Somehow, it was not the same for Nadal, when he came up, in a pretty weak era. Theories of doping abounded, and do still, even though he's a proven great. I'm not implying anything against Matteo or Daniil...just making fun of those who hold so hard onto their doping theories about Nadal. Where are your suspicions now? Asking for a friend. :D

Reactions: Jelenafan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's also funny how "coming out of nowhere" inspires no suspicion amongst certain posters here. (Not you, Don Fabio.) Kinda same with the "indefatigable" Medvedev. Somehow, it was not the same for Nadal, when he came up, in a pretty weak era. Theories of doping abounded, and do still, even though he's a proven great. I'm not implying anything against Matteo or Daniil...just making fun of those who hold so hard onto their doping theories about Nadal. Where are your suspicions now? Asking for a friend. :D
I see, these new guys don't have biceps big enough so they are innocent :)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Coming out of nowhere" for Berrettini could be well understood if you analyze his career path to date.
He started later than usual his pro career, at 19y. Here is his evolution so far:

Finished the year in 2015 at 18y ranked 525
2016 (20y) 435
2017 (21y) 135
2018 (22y) 54
2019 (23y) ??? Definitely top 10.
His ascendance was continuous and rather spectacular. He clearly is still developing, as he should at his age. Now tell me what is suspicious about all this?

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Coming out of nowhere" for Berrettini could be well understood if you analyze his career path to date.
He started later than usual his pro career, at 19y. Here is his evolution so far:

Finished the year in 2015 at 18y ranked 525
2016 (20y) 435
2017 (21y) 135
2018 (22y) 54
2019 (23y) ??? Definitely top 10.
His ascendance was continuous and rather spectacular. He clearly is still developing, as he should at his age. Now tell me what is suspicious about all this?
You understand that I'm not suspicious. I just wish some people used the same standards when they judge other players that they use as "proof" for Rafa. @DarthFed loves to say that Rafa came 'out of nowhere,' as if it were reason for suspicion, when his climb up wasn't even as steep as Berrettini's, for example. I think you know I have a back-and-forth with Front on double-standards. It's just to remind them that their radar has always been keenly attuned to Rafa, and goes completely dark when other players are involved, particularly if they manage to challenge Nadal. Or, god forbid, as it relates to Roger. Some people just need to be reminded of what they say about one player, and how, ironically, the same things don't raise their hackles in others.

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Career high Nov. 4, 2019:

8. Matteo Berrettini 23y
9. Roberto Bautista Agut 31y
15. Denis Shapolalov 20y
78. Yasutaka Uchiyama 27y
83. Dominik Köpfer 25y

Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Screenshot_20191104-091408.png
Numero Uno

Last edited:
Reactions: Carol

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Career high Nov. 4, 2019:

8. Matteo Berrettini 23y
9. Roberto Bautista Agut 31y
15. Denis Shapolalov 20y
78. Yasutaka Uchiyama 27y
83. Dominik Köpfer 25y

Glad RBA did not qualify for the WTF. I also hope no one gets injured or retires in WTF.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Big battle for #4 spot (with obvious seeding implications for AO 2020) between Medvedev and Thiem.

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Big battle for #4 spot (with obvious seeding implications for AO 2020) between Medvedev and Thiem.

I haven't looked, but if close, there are some events before AO that might make a difference in the rankings! Not sure if points given to that new team event! What are they trying to do; "ice out" old Hopman Cup tourney? :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Unless Thiem wins WTF, Med will be #4.

I guess that would be different if Thiem had not chose to practice against Berrettini. It would be 200 points more. And as Fiero noticed above there's Brisbane still.