The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
A lot on the line for Khachanov at the Paris masters where's he defending 1000 points as defending champion.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Only a matter of time till he goes above Federer in actual non live rankings if he keeps this crazy high level up. Federer lost early though in the 4th round of the AO last year so he can make some inroads there by presumably doing better. Long way away though still. Medvedev might well be very dangerous the rest of the year and bag tons of points.

Fed is playing several exhibition match in South America and then also in China during the off season. As a consequence, I don't really see him winning AO. However, I do think he will go further than last year.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A lot on the line for Khachanov at the Paris masters where's he defending 1000 points as defending champion.
Agree and he will probably lose plenty points if he goes out in QF let's say. Sounds realistic the way he plays now.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It looks like seven players (Sasha, Matteo, RBA, Goffin, Fog, Kei, Monfils) are in the fight for the last two remaining spots in WTF with less than 700 points separating them. I hope Matteo makes it. I also root for Fog, as unlike other players, he has the courage to stand up to big name players instead of folding before stepping on the court (despite being a head case).

Reactions: Fiero425

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high Oct. 14, 2019:

11. Matteo Berrettini 23y
17. Felix Auger-Aliassime 19y
33. Hubert Hurkacz 22y
37. Reilly Opelka 22y
48. Alexander Bublik 22y
51. Juan Ignacio Londero 26y
75. Mikael Ymer 21y
95. Salvatore Caruso 26y

Reactions: tented

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
cilic is finished,,he said he lost motivation after getting married,

also his wife and himself just said a baby was on the way, and with it a pic of a grinning marin with a new pram.

so expect the shift of focus away from tennis to continue. at 31 with 1major, 1masters, a dc, and 25m dollars in the bank he prob feels his glory days are over.

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Glad to see Mikael Ymer finally start making his move. He was one of the Next Genners that I was keeping tabs on a few years ago, but slipped off the radar. I think he was injured. But he's more talented than his older brother, Elias, who still hasn't breached the top 100, despiting having floating around the top 150 for five years now. Mikael just turned 21 and I think has some upside, at least top 30.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I had noticed in the live rankings that Berrettini and FAA were set to hit 11 and 17. That's great for them, too.

Reactions: El Dude

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I had noticed in the live rankings that Berrettini and FAA were set to hit 11 and 17. That's great for them, too.

I agree. And if anyone were to tell me they had predicted six months ago that Berrettini would now be on the cusp of breaking into the Top 10, and Medvedev would be No. 4, I wouldn’t believe them.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions

Berretini is such a surprise - he really wasn't on anyone's radar a couple years ago.

I think after last year I gave FAA an outside chance to reach the top 20 by year's end. While he's dropped off a bit of late, I'm very pleased with his progress.

p.s. sorry you now have to deal with the most vituperative Fedfans and Nadalfans, on both sides of the aisle, Moxie ;).

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Berretini is such a surprise - he really wasn't on anyone's radar a couple years ago.

I think after last year I gave FAA an outside chance to reach the top 20 by year's end. While he's dropped off a bit of late, I'm very pleased with his progress.

p.s. sorry you now have to deal with the most vituperative Fedfans and Nadalfans, on both sides of the aisle, Moxie ;).
I agree that Berrettini is the big surprise...except to @kskate2, lol. Joking aside, I agree he wasn't on the radar 2 years ago. I still think that FAA is on an amazing track, given his age. Did you look at the ages of the current top 100 lately? Judging by the hand, it feels like it's skewing younger than it has in years. (With Karlovic, at 40, still in there to blow the curve.)

You're very kind to acknowledge my plight of dealing with so much trollish nonsense. More than a few others are trying to stay around to hold the fort on intelligent conversation, but it would be nice to have you back more often to help raise the level of discourse. It's the late part of the year, but there are a few stories worth following. YE#1, who makes the YEC, and how long Medvedev can keep it up, as a few dramas worth gaming.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree that Berrettini is the big surprise...except to @kskate2, lol. Joking aside, I agree he wasn't on the radar 2 years ago. I still think that FAA is on an amazing track, given his age. Did you look at the ages of the current top 100 lately? Judging by the hand, it feels like it's skewing younger than it has in years. (With Karlovic, at 40, still in there to blow the curve.)

You're very kind to acknowledge my plight of dealing with so much trollish nonsense. More than a few others are trying to stay around to hold the fort on intelligent conversation, but it would be nice to have you back more often to help raise the level of discourse. It's the late part of the year, but there are a few stories worth following. YE#1, who makes the YEC, and how long Medvedev can keep it up, as a few dramas worth gaming.

Yeah, the trend is getting younger and younger. Maybe in a month or so, after the WTF, I will post a color-coded chart comparing the age of the top 50 over the last few years.

As I said in the Medvedev thread, I've been hankering to have some of those conversations you mentioned, so will try to hang out more.

I don't think there's any other way but to simply not feed the trolls (as much as possible). Or as Mark Twain said, don't argue with fools because onlookers won't be able to tell the difference!

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, the trend is getting younger and younger. Maybe in a month or so, after the WTF, I will post a color-coded chart comparing the age of the top 50 over the last few years.

As I said in the Medvedev thread, I've been hankering to have some of those conversations you mentioned, so will try to hang out more.

I don't think there's any other way but to simply not feed the trolls (as much as possible). Or as Mark Twain said, don't argue with fools because onlookers won't be able to tell the difference!
The level of discourse around here is barely above kindergarten, for the most part. It would be great if you could be around more to raise the intellectual curve. And I look forward to what you can really tells us about how the top 100 is getting younger. It was bound to happen sometime. And we don't know how great they'll be, individually or collectively.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
The level of discourse around here is barely above kindergarten, for the most part. It would be great if you could be around more to raise the intellectual curve. And I look forward to what you can really tells us about how the top 100 is getting younger. It was bound to happen sometime. And we don't know how great they'll be, individually or collectively.

Haha, true.

I will research it further, but will share what I already have a sense of: that the change over the last couple years isn't as much Roger's generation aging out--that really happened a few years ago--but Rafa's and Novak's peers being replaced by Lost and Next Gen.

At the end of 2018, only Roger, Verdasco, and Kohlschreiber were left in the top 50 of Roger's gen (b. 1979-83); this year Kohl dropped out, but it is basically the same. But what has happened this year is players born 1989 and later pushing the 1984-88 guys down. Given Rafa's and Novak's sustained dominance, it is easy to forget that their generation is actually now historically pretty old.

Assuming Aliassime sticks in the top 20, he'll be the first teenager to finish the year in the top 20 since Novak and Andy in 2006.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Haha, true.

I will research it further, but will share what I already have a sense of: that the change over the last couple years isn't as much Roger's generation aging out--that really happened a few years ago--but Rafa's and Novak's peers being replaced by Lost and Next Gen.

At the end of 2018, only Roger, Verdasco, and Kohlschreiber were left in the top 50 of Roger's gen (b. 1979-83); this year Kohl dropped out, but it is basically the same. But what has happened this year is players born 1989 and later pushing the 1984-88 guys down. Given Rafa's and Novak's sustained dominance, it is easy to forget that their generation is actually now historically pretty old.

Assuming Aliassime sticks in the top 20, he'll be the first teenager to finish the year in the top 20 since Novak and Andy in 2006.
Just to mention also Feli Lopez, who is Roger's gen also, and is at 59. I can't really think who is Rafa and Novak's gen. Murray, of course. Cilic and delPo are just a year behind. Wawrinka a year older? Anyone else of note still in the game?

Reactions: the AntiPusher