The Rankings Thread (ATP)

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Just to mention also Feli Lopez, who is Roger's gen also, and is at 59. I can't really think who is Rafa and Novak's gen. Murray, of course. Cilic and delPo are just a year behind. Wawrinka a year older? Anyone else of note still in the game?

Here are some of the best players by birth year, of the Rafa-Novak generation (which I consider 1984-88):

1984: Simon, Soderling, Monaco
1985: Wawrinka, Isner, Berdych, Tsonga, Almagro, Baghdatis
1986: Rafa, Gasquet, Monfils, Anderson, Cuevas, Granollers
1987: Novak, Andy, Querrey, Fognini
1988: Cilic, del Potro, Bautista Agut

So of those guys, almost everyone is on a downward trend. Even those who have reached new heights in the last couple years--Anderson, Isner, Monfils--seem like they're starting to tip the other direction. Fognini seems to be the exception, with his best year so far at 31-32, although if you take out Monte Carlo, his year is worse than last year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here are some of the best players by birth year, of the Rafa-Novak generation (which I consider 1984-88):

1984: Simon, Soderling, Monaco
1985: Wawrinka, Isner, Berdych, Tsonga, Almagro, Baghdatis
1986: Rafa, Gasquet, Monfils, Anderson, Cuevas, Granollers
1987: Novak, Andy, Querrey, Fognini
1988: Cilic, del Potro, Bautista Agut

So of those guys, almost everyone is on a downward trend. Even those who have reached new heights in the last couple years--Anderson, Isner, Monfils--seem like they're starting to tip the other direction. Fognini seems to be the exception, with his best year so far at 31-32, although if you take out Monte Carlo, his year is worse than last year.
Thanks for that. Actually RBA is the other exception.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
cilic is finished,,he said he lost motivation after getting married,

also his wife and himself just said a baby was on the way, and with it a pic of a grinning marin with a new pram.

so expect the shift of focus away from tennis to continue. at 31 with 1major, 1masters, a dc, and 25m dollars in the bank he prob feels his glory days are over.
That is what exactly happened.
I can understand that, nothing is more important than family, especially become parents.
Will never forget that crazy US Open he won.
The BIG 2 are crazy examples of being successful with family. Nadal yet to proof.
Novak is slightly losing focus since he became father, but I think it’s not the only reason.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't say I blame Marin. I mean, after his Slam final losses to Roger, I'm guessing he realized he was never going to take it to that next stage of being a multi-Slam winner and #1. He's made a ton of money, has a young family, so how hard does he want to work to eek out that second Grand Slam title? He's probably been the sixth or seventh best player of the last decade. No shame in that.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't say I blame Marin. I mean, after his Slam final losses to Roger, I'm guessing he realized he was never going to take it to that next stage of being a multi-Slam winner and #1. He's made a ton of money, has a young family, so how hard does he want to work to eek out that second Grand Slam title? He's probably been the sixth or seventh best player of the last decade. No shame in that.

I do think he should be a little embarrassed by that 2017 pathetic Wimbledon final. Probably the worst effort I’ve seen in a Men’s Majors final in over a decade. He was “ beat” before he stepped on the court.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I do think he should be a little embarrassed by that 2017 pathetic Wimbledon final. Probably the worst effort I’ve seen in a Men’s Majors final in over a decade. He was “ beat” before he stepped on the court.

I was so pumped up before that final and tought Marin has a chance there, but the way match went it was horrible to watch. He redeemed himself next year in AO and played great, but still lost both matches.

Given the limitations Cilic has, he had a great career so far. The only thing is that he pissed off many of us croatian tennis fans time and time again with his mental chokes. He ain't losing sleep over that and after all he is a GS champion.

Reactions: Bonaca and Fiero425

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I was so pumped up before that final and tought Marin has a chance there, but the way match went it was horrible to watch. He redeemed himself next year in AO and played great, but still lost both matches.

Given the limitations Cilic has, he had a great career so far. The only thing is that he pissed off many of us croatian tennis fans time and time again with his mental chokes. He ain't losing sleep over that and after all he is a GS champion.
Totally agree. I was hopeful too. Same for Iva, nothing to be ashamed for.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

No need to be embarrassed. After all, it is not like he played terrible while in good healthy condition. Recall that he had serious blisters on the foot and could not really run with those blisters. If your health prevents you from playing well, that is nothing to be embarrassed about.

On the other hand, if you are healthy and are unable to put up a decent fight, that is to be embarrassed about.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
don't forget he was foot injured, it didn't help him to play well

Reactions: Bonaca and Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career highs, Oct. 21, 2019 :
22. Andrey Rublev 22y
74. Mikael Ymer 21y
87. Yasutaka Uchiyama 27y
93. Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 20y

Both Uchiyama and Fokina breaking into the top 100 at the same time, one from Japan the other from Spain.
Fokina is very young, will be interesting how far he will go.

Reactions: Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The top 10 average age will be lowered once again next week.
Kei is dropping out, as he was not able to play lately, and will be replaced by Matteo Berrettini, who will make the top 10 for the first time.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Here's something; among the "Next-NextGen" (players born 1999-2003), there are now eight in the live top 100:

18. Auger-Aliassime (2000)
26. De Minaur (1999)
28. Shapovalov (1999)
55. Kecmanovic (1999)
90. Davidovich Fokina (1999)
92. Sinner (2001)
94. Popyrin (1999)
95. Moutet (1999)

Sinner is the first player born in 2001 to reach the top 100.

Last year there were only two in the year-end top 100, Shapovalov (#27) and De Minaur (#31); in 2017 there was one, 18-year old Shapovalov (#51). Shapo's really slowed his progress, from 51 to 27 to a current 28. Ouch...that's "Corician."

Reactions: Moxie and tented

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high on October 28, 2019:

9. Matteo Berrettini 23y
18. Alex De Minaur 20y
31. Reilly Opelika 22y
74. Mikael Ymer 21y
82. Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 20y
86. Yasutaka Uchiyama 27y
93. Jannik Sinner 18y

Reactions: Fiero425

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The highlights this week in the advancement of their career are the two Italians:
Matteo for breaking into the top 10 for the first time and Sinner to become the youngest member on tour in the top 100 at only 18. He is one year younger than Felix Auger-Aliassime.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Just looked at the LIVE rankings to see Nadal's gone ahead with a nice lead over Djokovic! Looks as if Nole lost his points from last season @ Paris and London! Roger has a very good chance of dropping to #4 since he won't be defending his points this week! Medvedev should take over #3 ranking if he does well in Bercy! :whistle: :yesyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :sick: :ptennis:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Just looked at the LIVE rankings to see Nadal's gone ahead with a nice lead over Djokovic! Looks as if Nole lost his points from last season @ Paris and London! Roger has a very good chance of dropping to #4 since he won't be defending his points this week! Medvedev should take over #3 ranking if he does well in Bercy!

If I remember correctly, the points for both come off at once, but the rankings still change after Paris. That means that Rafa will definitely get #1 back, if only for a couple weeks.

Here's the Race rankings and points:

Nadal 9235
Djokovic 7955

Rafa has a 1,280 lead, with up to 2,500 points up for grabs. Unless Rafa wins Paris and/or Novak goes out early, it should come down to the WTF, maybe even the last match (if we're luck).

Here's #3-5 in the Race rankings:
Federer 6010
Medvedev 5705
Thiem 4945

Thiem probably doesn't have a shot to move up, but I listed him just in case. Roger has a 305 point lead, but isn't playing Paris so that's at least equalized. My money is on Daniil to get to #3, but if Roger is nice and rested for the WTF, he could be a force and win it.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
If I remember correctly, the points for both come off at once, but the rankings still change after Paris. That means that Rafa will definitely get #1 back, if only for a couple weeks.

Here's the Race rankings and points:

Nadal 9235
Djokovic 7955

Rafa has a 1,280 lead, with up to 2,500 points up for grabs. Unless Rafa wins Paris and/or Novak goes out early, it should come down to the WTF, maybe even the last match (if we're luck).

Here's #3-5 in the Race rankings:
Federer 6010
Medvedev 5705
Thiem 4945

Thiem probably doesn't have a shot to move up, but I listed him just in case. Roger has a 305 point lead, but isn't playing Paris so that's at least equalized. My money is on Daniil to get to #3, but if Roger is nice and rested for the WTF, he could be a force and win it.
To get no 1 back this year, Novak has to win nearly everything.
If Nadal wins Paris he keeps No 1 till end of year.
Very unlikely that he will get the no 1 spot back soon.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
All of a sudden it seems rather unlikely that Medvedev will pass Roger. With his loss today, he's stuck at 490 points behind Roger in the Race rankings, meaning he has to win three more matchs at the WTF than Roger. That's a tall order.

(Not that it matters; #3-4 are pretty interchangeable)