The Rankings Thread (ATP)

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Again Nadal loses the no.1 ranking due to injuries. The Djokovic and Federer luck never ends. :facepalm: Get well soon Rafa :smooch:
If Federer had the physicality of Rafa, he would have been the luckiest player because he would be almost unbeatable, considering the game he possesses.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
He'd have lost it anyways. Wake me up when he ever outplays a decent version of Federer or Djokovic indoors.

Sleeping-Beauty-Famous-Image-660x330.jpg

Reactions: DarthFed

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is the new number one. It’s sad to see whatever he takes has done to his body. Only Vajda knows.

gettyimages-1027476726.jpg

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
This is the new number one. It’s sad to see whatever he takes has done to his body. Only Vajda knows.

There's a lot of power in that wiry little body! I can only guess with his elimination of a lot of gluten, he's really cut down on carbs and fat! I've been fasting for the last few months and dropped 40 pounds with no exercise! I can only imagine the workout Nole goes thru so it's a wonder if he has 7% fat on his body! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
faker looks like that guy in "The Machinist."

Never saw it, but did see how it was made with Bales starving himself into emaciation! What an idiot! Stuff like that always hurts down the line; blowing up for one movie, then going rail thin for another role! A few days of fasting is helpful though; I personally use the 16/8 Intermittent fasting technique to drop 40#'s in just a few months! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How can @Moxie call me bitter and nasty after seeing this picture of me sleeping?
I'm sure you're sweet as honey when you're sleeping. It's when you're awake and posting that you become the Evil Fairy. :smooch:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Jack Sock put up a good fight here in Paris, but could not save his miserable year.
From a top 10 finish a year ago, he closes the year outside of the top 100, currently ranked 105 ( might be still passed by some guys playing on the Challenger tour).
From top ranked US player, down to be ranked 12 among US players!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Jack Sock put up a good fight here in Paris, but could not save his miserable year.
From a top 10 finish a year ago, he closes the year outside of the top 100, currently ranked 105 ( might be still passed by some guys playing on the Challenger tour).
From top ranked US player, down to be ranked 12 among US players!

It's a real problem with the last couple "Next Gen'rs;" too much success destroying confidence and drive! It's just been inexplicable this drop in form! He was a top singles player and already establish as a winner in doubles; wtf happened? :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
If Federer had the physicality of Rafa, he would have been the luckiest player because he would be almost unbeatable, considering the game he possesses.

If Rafa had the serve and health of Roger, he'd have 30 Slams by now, right?

Now I don't think that's a meaningful statement, for reasons I'll explain in a moment, but it isn't any less meaningful than saying "if Federer had the physicality of Rafa..."

The ability of a tennis player is a complex weave of many threads, all of which are interconnected. Some Rafa fans like to say that if he had better luck with health, his resume would be far greater than Roger's. But the problem is, his health is directly related to his play style - so if he had been healthier it would probably be at the expense of some of his physicality, which in turn would see a reduction in his overall level. Rafa is like a major league baseball player who throws 104 mph but then blows out his arm. He could throw 97 mph and not get injured, but he wouldn't be the same pitcher (or tennis player).

In fact, I think what we've seen from Rafa the last couple years is just that: improved health (until recently), but an overall lower level of physicality. 2017-18 Rafa is very, very good, but he's not the player he was in 2008-13. I've watched the last set of the 2017 AO final maybe half a dozen or more times, and while that is my favorite match of all time (as a Federer fan) and I'll probably watch that set several more times, Rafa wasn't reaching balls that he would have reached half a decade ago.

My point is, Roger doesn't have the physicality of Rafa, or the returning ability of Novak. If he did he'd be a different player. Now we can imagine a player that combines the best aspects of these three, and that would be a truly extraordinary player. Maybe we'll see something like that in the future. But changing any aspect of their games is like a game of pickup sticks: you move one stick, and it probably adjusts everything else.

That said, every once in awhile we do get to see everything click just right. That's partially why Roger won that 2017 AO: everything clicked, he was like James T Kirk seeing the Genesis cave in The Wrath of Khan, feeling young again. In fact, we finally got to see what Roger at his best would look like at a Rafa that was almost at his best, because Rafa couldn't neutralize Roger in the way that he had during his best years. But when any of the three put everything together, it is usually for short spells, and decreasingly so as they get older.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
faker looks like that guy in The machinist
The umpire asked during his match with Cilic what he was taking and he said he can’t tell, then he told ball girl to pass something to his team. I am curious to know....

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The umpire asked during his match with Cilic what he was taking and he said he can’t tell, then he told ball girl to pass something to his team. I am curious to know....

Should be just coughdrops. No brainer.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Rafa had the serve and health of Roger, he'd have 30 Slams by now, right?

Now I don't think that's a meaningful statement, for reasons I'll explain in a moment, but it isn't any less meaningful than saying "if Federer had the physicality of Rafa..."

The ability of a tennis player is a complex weave of many threads, all of which are interconnected. Some Rafa fans like to say that if he had better luck with health, his resume would be far greater than Roger's. But the problem is, his health is directly related to his play style - so if he had been healthier it would probably be at the expense of some of his physicality, which in turn would see a reduction in his overall level. Rafa is like a major league baseball player who throws 104 mph but then blows out his arm. He could throw 97 mph and not get injured, but he wouldn't be the same pitcher (or tennis player).

In fact, I think what we've seen from Rafa the last couple years is just that: improved health (until recently), but an overall lower level of physicality. 2017-18 Rafa is very, very good, but he's not the player he was in 2008-13. I've watched the last set of the 2017 AO final maybe half a dozen or more times, and while that is my favorite match of all time (as a Federer fan) and I'll probably watch that set several more times, Rafa wasn't reaching balls that he would have reached half a decade ago.

My point is, Roger doesn't have the physicality of Rafa, or the returning ability of Novak. If he did he'd be a different player. Now we can imagine a player that combines the best aspects of these three, and that would be a truly extraordinary player. Maybe we'll see something like that in the future. But changing any aspect of their games is like a game of pickup sticks: you move one stick, and it probably adjusts everything else.

That said, every once in awhile we do get to see everything click just right. That's partially why Roger won that 2017 AO: everything clicked, he was like James T Kirk seeing the Genesis cave in The Wrath of Khan, feeling young again. In fact, we finally got to see what Roger at his best would look like at a Rafa that was almost at his best, because Rafa couldn't neutralize Roger in the way that he had during his best years. But when any of the three put everything together, it is usually for short spells, and decreasingly so as they get older.
Although he did well digging deep to win AO against Nadal, he played significantly better in Indian Wells a few months later...that was Fed in full flight.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nole plays with the flu. Of course he took some medicine. He just have to be sure if that is within the rules.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It looks like even though the race for YE#1 is over for all practical purposes, there is still a mathematical chance for Rafa.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It looks like even though the race for YE#1 is over for all practical purposes, there is still a mathematical chance for Rafa.
Yes, it is. That would have been the case even if Novak won today.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
dull is playing WTF so faker better be ready

flu excuse won't work for YE#1, fakertards

Last edited:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Career high as of November 5, 2018:

11. Karen Khachanov 22y
12. Borna Coric 22y
16. Daniil Medvedev .22y
21. Nikoloz Basilashvili 26y
38. Marton Fucsovics 26y
39. Nicolas Jarry 23y
46. Malek Jaziri 34y
47. Taylor Fritz 21y
57. Marius Copil 28y
77. Jaume Munar 21y
82. Guido Andreozzi 27y
87. Cristian Garin 22y

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Career high as of November 5, 2018:

11. Karen Khachanov 22y
12. Borna Coric 22y
16. Daniil Medvedev .22y
21. Nikoloz Basilashvili 26y
38. Marton Fucsovics 26y
39. Nicolas Jarry 23y
46. Malek Jaziri 34y
47. Taylor Fritz 21y
57. Marius Copil 27y
77. Jaume Munar 21y
83. Guido Andreozzi 27y
87. Cristian Garin 22y
Excuse me, please. It's not bonfire night yet. That's tomorrow.