The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Can someone please do the math and tell me how can Fed be #1 after USO?
Why don't you try doing your own math? It's not hard, but it takes a bit of work. :)

The_Grand_Slam

Masters Champion
Reactions
Can someone please do the math and tell me how can Fed be #1 after USO?

Currently-
Nadal has 9310
Federer has 7080

Defending(Canada, Cincinnati,US Open)

Nadal -2270 (90,180,2000)
Federer - 960 (600,0,360)

Assuming both enter both Masters tournaments, they will then defend 2250 and 940 respectively (10 points due to 1R Bye)
So, Federer has to gain more than 920 points than Nadal in those three tournaments (7060-6140)

Last edited:
Reactions: monfed and Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed has spent enough weeks at #1 that his cushion is so large and also no one is knocking that door. As far as "oldest #1" stuff is concerned he has already accomplished that earlier this year. So, attaining regular #1 ranking is not something worth sweating about for Fed.

But, the year end #1 is worth sweating about as he has five finishes and Rafa has four finishes. If Ralph finishes YE #1 this year, they both will be equals in that category, which is highly undesirable. Further, if Fed finshes YE #1 six times, he will match Pete's record here (although Pete did it in consecutive years). Also, if Fed achieves YE #1 this year, he will also snatch the "oldest YE #1" from Ralph (of course, these "oldest" records are not of too much importance, but an useful by product of other meaningful accomplishments). At this time, Rafa has a lead of 1740 over Fed in the race rankings. So, basically Federer has to outperform Rafa by 1750 points or more during the reminder of the season. That is going to be very difficult considering that more than half of the tennis season is already over and in the remainder of the season Novak will also be force to be reckoned with.

Fed has no way of possibly attaining YE #1 unless he wins USO. So, he should worry neither about regular ranking #1 nor about YE #1 at this time. He should schedule himself (whatever he thinks is best for himself at his age and this stage) in such a way to maximize his chances of winning USO. If he wins USO, then we can dust off the calculators and crunch numbers and create a strategy for attaining YE #1. Until then there is no point in doing computations.

Also, merely winning USO will not be enough either. He needs to show sustained brilliance in the remaining part of the season, even if he does not win every event that he enters.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fed has spent enough weeks at #1 that his cushion is so large and also no one is knocking that door. As far as "oldest #1" stuff is concerned he has already accomplished that earlier this year. So, attaining regular #1 ranking is not something worth sweating about for Fed.

But, the year end #1 is worth sweating about as he has five finishes and Rafa has four finishes. If Ralph finishes YE #1 this year, they both will be equals in that category, which is highly undesirable. Further, if Fed finshes YE #1 six times, he will match Pete's record here (although Pete did it in consecutive years). Also, if Fed achieves YE #1 this year, he will also snatch the "oldest YE #1" from Ralph (of course, these "oldest" records are not of too much importance, but an useful by product of other meaningful accomplishments). At this time, Rafa has a lead of 1740 over Fed in the race rankings. So, basically Federer has to outperform Rafa by 1750 points or more during the reminder of the season. That is going to be very difficult considering that more than half of the tennis season is already over and in the remainder of the season Novak will also be force to be reckoned with.

Fed has no way of possibly attaining YE #1 unless he wins USO. So, he should worry neither about regular ranking #1 nor about YE #1 at this time. He should schedule himself (whatever he thinks is best for himself at his age and this stage) in such a way to maximize his chances of winning USO. If he wins USO, then we can dust off the calculators and crunch numbers and create a strategy for attaining YE #1. Until then there is no point in doing computations.

Also, merely winning USO will not be enough either. He needs to show sustained brilliance in the remaining part of the season, even if he does not win every event that he enters.

Speak for yourself as to what is "undesirable." :D Also, it's very surprising and amusing that Rafa is the oldest YE#1. I believe that is the first "oldest" of anything he's acquired, as so many of his achievements along the way have included "youngest," or "one of the youngest," etc. You're right not to worry about weeks at #1 for Roger. No one is catching that for a long time. Roger really should just focus on Majors, and so should you, as his fan, if I may offer my opinion. No point in chasing everything.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Releasing the new career high a few hours earlier:

5. Kevin Anderson 32y
8. John Isner. 33y
16. Kyle Edmund 23y
32. Stefanos Tsitsipas 19y
43. Matthew Ebden 30y
45. Fances Tiafoe 20y
52. John Millman 29y
68. Alex de Minaur 19y
75. Matteo Berrettinni 22y
80. Mackenzie McDonald 23y
99. Yannick Hanfmann 26y

2 new guys in the top 100, the American McDonald, reaching surprisingly the R4 at Wimbledon and Hanfmann from Germany.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
ATP list : 1-10 place there are 5 players 30+ on 11-20 there are just 2 of 30+ ;) I won't calculate the average, might hurt youngsters.

Oldy club. I see Novak wasnt on US Open last year, so chances to get to London are good.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
Novak is the lowest ranked player (21) to win a slam since Gaston Gaudio.

But Ivanišević got Wild card for Wibledon, i dont think he was near 21. place...and he won

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ATP list : 1-10 place there are 5 players 30+ on 11-20 there are just 2 of 30+ ;) I won't calculate the average, might hurt youngsters.

Oldy club. I see Novak wasnt on US Open last year, so chances to get to London are good.

A year ago he situation was a lot worse for the younger generation, because in the top 20 three were a lot more members of the "oldy club".
Wawrinka, Tsonga, Murray, Berdych were fixtures up there, but they fell due to injuries.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
A year ago he situation was a lot worse for the younger generation, because in the top 20 three were a lot more members of the "oldy club".
Wawrinka, Tsonga, Murray, Berdych were fixtures up there, but they fell due to injuries.

Also true. So they might come back. Delpo is there. So lets say now are 10 years older than "McEnroe, Borg" time. Almost.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Delpo and Cilic will join the 30 club in 2 months time.