The Rankings Thread (ATP)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Lol! I was expecting you to exercise restraint and not respond to that rather clear falsehood
I really don't get this how long time posters keep confusing the rolling current ATP ranking where defending points will matter, influencing the week to week swings, with the race ranking where it does not matter what they did a year ago
Every year we have to come back and explain this several times.
It is not rocket science after all.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I really don't get this how long time posters keep confusing the rolling current ATP ranking where defending points will matter, influencing the week to week swings, with the race ranking where it does not matter what they did a year ago
Every year we have to come back and explain this several times.
It is not rocket science after all.
In fairness, (and maybe I shouldn't have pointed it out to A-P, but I was sure he knew how it works,)it took me a shockingly long time to realize that there were two ways to count the rankings, and then it was someone flat-out explaining it to me. There are plenty of things that are particular to our sport, and sometimes they are opaque until explained.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
In fairness, (and maybe I shouldn't have pointed it out to A-P, but I was sure he knew how it works,)it took me a shockingly long time to realize that there were two ways to count the rankings, and then it was someone flat-out explaining it to me. There are plenty of things that are particular to our sport, and sometimes they are opaque until explained.
interesting. I always thought this was quite clear

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
interesting. I always thought this was quite clear
I don't find it easily intuitive that there are 2 different ways of gauging the rankings, and the one you look at week in/week out is the rolling one. You have to seek out "Race to London," say, and it didn't used to be as easy to find, even on ATP site, as it is now. It was a long time ago that I got the difference, but someone did explain it to me.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't find it easily intuitive that there are 2 different ways of gauging the rankings, and the one you look at week in/week out is the rolling one. You have to seek out "Race to London," say, and it didn't used to be as easy to find, even on ATP site, as it is now. It was a long time ago that I got the difference, but someone did explain it to me.
I agree that the race to London ranking is not as visible, nor used as often.
I think the reason is mainly because the seeding and the entrance in an event is based on the 52 weeks rolling ranking.

Reactions: Moxie and 10isfan

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

I agree with you except for the bolded part. If AP was not aware of it or have forgotten it, it is alright and not a crime. However, he claims to know what I am talking about, but still says something irrelevant about it.

Reactions: mrzz and Federberg

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here's an interesting take on the number 1 ranking (not the Race to London rankings):

IF Nadal wins the French Open for the 11th time AND he reaches the 4th round of Wimbledon AND Federer does not reach at least the Stuttgart final and defend his Halle title, Nadal will be rank number 1 until August 12, 2018 as he is only defending 180 points from grass and he is leading by 100 points.

There's a good chance Nadal plays Queens tournament because he has not played a lot of matches this year so he could add more points...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here's an interesting take on the number 1 ranking (not the Race to London rankings):

IF Nadal wins the French Open for the 11th time AND he reaches the 4th round of Wimbledon AND Federer does not reach at least the Stuttgart final and defend his Halle title, Nadal will be rank number 1 until August 12, 2018 as he is only defending 180 points from grass and he is leading by 100 points.

There's a good chance Nadal plays Queens tournament because he has not played a lot of matches this year so he could add more points...

I think you forgot to include the all too important clause of "If Fed does not defend Wimbledon" in addition to other things you already stated.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think you forgot to include the all too important clause of "If Fed does not defend Wimbledon" in addition to other things you already stated.

I did not forget it, GSM :)

Here's the thing too: IF Federer does not reach the Stuttgart final, even if he wins both Halle AND Wimbledon, he can not surpass Nadal in the rankings until (at the very least) August 13, 2018.

Here's actually a weird fact:

After Roland Garros, here are the points that Federer and Nadal have to defend including the US Open:

Federer: 3,460 points
Nadal: 2,450 points

Here are the points that Federer and Nadal have to defend after the US Open until end of the year:

Federer: 2,100
Nadal: 1,280

Total points to defend:

Federer: 5,560 points
Nadal: 3,730 points

So, if Nadal wins the French Open, there's a good chance he could retain the number 1 ranking (till the end of the year) by just focusing on the US Open. On the other hand, I would not be surprised if Federer wins more titles to regain the number 1 ranking.

It will be VERY interesting on how this will play out...it will be a wild ride.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed had made the mistake last year and he is not going to do that again. Fed will be focused exclusively on winning Wimby and USO. Only after the USO is over, he will even begin to look at the numbers.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I kind of like the idea that Sascha sneaks in the YE1.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
It will not happen unless he steps up big in slams

I don't think it will happen, but I do think he will step up in Slams. My guess is that he reaches the QF or better in at least two of the remaining three, and in one he reaches SF or better.

But in order to be YE1, he probably needs to win one.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm also having a hard time imaging that he doesn't have some much better finishes in Majors this year. He's poised to, but I don't seem him going all the way yet.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm also having a hard time imaging that he doesn't have some much better finishes in Majors this year. He's poised to, but I don't seem him going all the way yet.
He certainly has to step up. There would be no excuses anymore to be eliminated everywhere in the first week.
Tons of players have questionable fitness level, in all ages, past thirties, late twenties as well as the youngsters. There is plain field with tons of opportunities here. Like it was at the AO.
There we had Chung and Edmund in the SF, ranked at that moment around 50, unseeded.
I would not be surprised to see some unseeded players going into the QF here as well.