The Rankings Thread (ATP)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Did someone say that the ATP doesn't update the rankings until after Miami?

ATP updates the rankings after IW and also after M. However, as IW and M are two mandatory tournaments that run for two weeks long each, I believe that they don't update the rankings in the middle of the tourney (even though there is a new Monday coming during the tourney). I am positive that they don't update the rankings during GSs and I am almost positive of the same thing for IW and M, but need to doublecheck.

Reactions: shawnbm

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ATP updates the rankings after IW and also after M. However, as IW and M are two mandatory tournaments that run for two weeks long each, I believe that they don't update the rankings in the middle of the tourney (even though there is a new Monday coming during the tourney). I am positive that they don't update the rankings during GSs and I am almost positive of the same thing for IW and M, but need to doublecheck.
No need to check, you are correct. Middle of IW or Miami there is no update of the rankings, same as for slams.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
OK, that's what I thought, which is why I was surprised when someone said the rankings weren't updated between IW and Miami, but I think I simply misunderstood.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
You can see Roger still hasn't given up on the YE 1 dream. The guy was so amazing last year, yet could not get there. It must have been tough. Now he's playing well again and trying again.

MartyB

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I expect Fed to do very well at IW and Miami..My confidence in him repeating as champ at IW is far greater than Miami. I expect him to still be ranked #1 after both events. Something tells me that Nadal may very well pass up both tournaments.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
OK, that's what I thought, which is why I was surprised when someone said the rankings weren't updated between IW and Miami, but I think I simply misunderstood.

No one said what you claim. You probably misread one of my earlier posts where I said they don't update the rankings in the middle of IW
and so Fed was guaranteed to remain #1 for 4 consecutive weeks.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
With Rafa missing both IW and Miami, to come out of Miami with #1 ranking, Roger needs to score 710 or more points in IW and M put together. This can be done by reaching the semifinal of both tournaments or by winning just one of them. Of course, Roger would want to defend both his titles. Now, there is a big pressure on Roger to win them considering Rafa, Novak, Andy and Stan all are out of them. Moreover, Grigor and Ranoic are not showing signs of life and Sasha and Thiem are sliding down.

Fed can only lose to a donkey in IW and M.

Reactions: Tennis Miller

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
^True, but you could also say it is a good opportunity for someone to step up and win a Masters. And don’t forget about Marin Cilic, who is kind of the new Stanimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Fed can win both IW and M, he will have a huge lead in the race rankings over others, that it may actually be safe to skip clay season without jeopardizing YE#1 dreams.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^True, but you could also say it is a good opportunity for someone to step up and win a Masters. And don’t forget about Marin Cilic, who is kind of the new Stanimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's an interesting thought. Sometimes dangerous, not especially reliable. Though Stan hasn't really been given to winning MS1000s. ;)

Otherwise, seems like Roger could have skipped Rotterdam and just waited out Rafa.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Otherwise, seems like Roger could have skipped Rotterdam and just waited out Rafa.

Why? So that Nadalites can claim that the only reason Roger got #1 is because Rafa is injured.:confused:

By playing in Rotterdam, he went there and got #1 by his own work. Also, it gives him more weeks
at #1 (even though he has more than enough in that category).

Reactions: 10isfan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why? So that Nadalites can claim that the only reason Roger got #1 is because Rafa is injured.:confused:

By playing in Rotterdam, he went there and got #1 by his own work. Also, it gives him more weeks
at #1 (even though he has more than enough in that category).
Oops, didn't mean to offend. Tetchy?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career high Mar. 05:

12. Lucas Pouille . 24y
17. Diego Schwartzman .25y
23. Adrian Mannarino 29y
24. Kyle Edmund 23y
26. Hyeon Chung 21y
28 .Filip Krajinovic 26y
44. Denis Shapovalov 18y
48. Jared Donaldson 21y
50. Peter Gojowczyk 28y
61. Nicolas Jarry 22y
71. Stefanos Tsitsipas 19y

Reactions: Moxie

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Fed can only lose to a donkey in IW and M.
Hmmm... you'd better don't say too much (even as a joke) because it can be taken seriously by bunch of guys looking for Fed scalp in their careers. If that scalp happens, the eventual surprise winner won't be happy with the nickname you've given him...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Hmmm... you'd better don't say too much (even as a joke) because it can be taken seriously by bunch of guys looking for Fed scalp in their careers. If that scalp happens, the eventual surprise winner won't be happy with the nickname you've given him...

That nickname came form Donskoy who actually beat Fed in Dubai, when on paper it looked like Fed will win the event. So, I was not actually gloating. I was just saying Fed needs to be careful about no name players at IW and M.

MartyB

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Federer needs to be even more careful, now Djokovic is playing.
I don't think the words " more careful" for Fed is an accurate statement...Let's see what Djokovic can do here shall we? I wouldn't bet the ranch on it that Djokovic will get through his section of the draw to take on Fed in the finals? As great as he is Djokovic is probably looking to get traction and gain some momentum I would think.

Reactions: Moxie and britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm hearing you Marty... Djokovic's main concern is coming through this unscathed and start building some momentum. He won't be betting the ranch on winning the tournament.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think the words " more careful" for Fed is an accurate statement...Let's see what Djokovic can do here shall we? I wouldn't bet the ranch on it that Djokovic will get through his section of the draw to take on Fed in the finals? As great as he is Djokovic is probably looking to get traction and gain some momentum I would think.
I'm not saying Djokovic will even make it to Federer I'm just saying, its not going to be a easy event for Federer to win like everyone is saying.

Reactions: Tennis Miller