The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@Moxie, I don't think anyone was questioning whether the rankings were updated within the tournament, but rather if they were updated between IW and Miami. I misinterpreted something Game said, and thought--suprisingly--that they weren't updated between, but they are.

But within a tournament? That would be absurd.
Oh, I don't actually care. I was just exploiting an opportunity to show you Rafa back at #1. :lulz2::yoda:

Reactions: El Dude

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I know, @Moxie, I know. But I couldn't let you (fully) get away with it.

Man, we Fedal fans are so spoiled. :D

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know, @Moxie, I know. But I couldn't let you (fully) get away with it.

Man, we Fedal fans are so spoiled. :D
Spoiled, indeed. Who would have thought we'd still be arguing Roger and Rafa in the present tense in 2018? We're very lucky (though Darth won't think so.)

Reactions: El Dude

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
The thought is always the same, 20 is only good if the asshole doesn't get 20 or 21. Roger has to have that attitude even if it sounds silly. Keep that greed to a maximum, no reason he can't win a few more if he stays motivated as he should.
USO, RG is unlikely, but federer most likely wins Wimbledon this year.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
In theory anyone can... I wouldn't put money on some of those. Delpo, Cilic and Novak (if he ever gets to his best) I can go along with, the rest... nah
I will just add at there best raonic, Kyrgios could upset federer but its unlikely, Cilic could be the one.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I will just add at there best raonic, Kyrgios could upset federer but its unlikely, Cilic could be the one.

I don't think Raonic can beat Roger this year. He beat Roger at the 2016 Wimbledon, but Roger was gimpy and Milos was at the height of his powers, and it still took five sets. Roger will take him out in three sets, if they're in current forms.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pouille in top 10 for the 1st time of his life, congrats to him

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think Raonic can beat Roger this year. He beat Roger at the 2016 Wimbledon, but Roger was gimpy and Milos was at the height of his powers, and it still took five sets. Roger will take him out in three sets, if they're in current forms.

After today's display, I'm less confident about this perspective. That said, Milos' game (if he beats Delpo) may prove less problematic for Roger than Borna's, at least in slowish conditions.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
After today's display, I'm less confident about this perspective. That said, Milos' game (if he beats Delpo) may prove less problematic for Roger than Borna's, at least in slowish conditions.
Milos lost badly today. I think he's reached his high-water mark, and won't get there again. He's a hard worker, but his game is limited and not especially imaginative. If he beats Roger again, imo, it will be because of a bad day by Roger. And I doubt it will be on grass.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Milos lost badly today. I think he's reached his high-water mark, and won't get there again. He's a hard worker, but his game is limited and not especially imaginative. If he beats Roger again, imo, it will be because of a bad day by Roger. And I doubt it will be on grass.
It’s just one match guys. I don’t think we can form conclusions. Especially with a guy who serves bombs

Reactions: herios and Moxie

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
New career highs:

10. Lucas Pouille. 24y
16. Diego Schwartzman . 25y
22. Adrian Mannarino. 29y
23. Hyeon Chung. 21y
27. Filip Krajinovic. 26y
60. Marton Fucsovics 26y
70. Stefanos Tsitsipas 19y
95. Matteo Berrettini 21y

The Italian Berrettini is a new top 100 player this week. Italy has now 6 players in the top 100.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Delpo new N°6

Am I the only one who badly wants to see Delpo reach No 1 at some point? Obviously not at Roger's expense per se. For example I would happily see him win RG with Roger winning Wimbledon and USO, and if Delpo plays and wins enough other tournaments the top ranking might be in sight for him in the next 12 to 18 months. I would love to see that. For me, right now, he is hands down the best player never to have the No 1 ranking. I know Stan doesn't have it either, but somehow, at least in my head I think Delpo is the better player. Although thinking about it, I would like to see top form Delpo play against the full on Stan-imal in a big final (as I don't want my boy Roger not to be in attendance at a major final apart from RG, let's say either an RG final or WTF final :lol6:)

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Am I the only one who badly wants to see Delpo reach No 1 at some point? Obviously not at Roger's expense per se. For example I would happily see him win RG with Roger winning Wimbledon and USO, and if Delpo plays and wins enough other tournaments the top ranking might be in sight for him in the next 12 to 18 months. I would love to see that. For me, right now, he is hands down the best player never to have the No 1 ranking. I know Stan doesn't have it either, but somehow, at least in my head I think Delpo is the better player. Although thinking about it, I would like to see top form Delpo play against the full on Stan-imal in a big final (as I don't want my boy Roger not to be in attendance at a major final apart from RG, let's say either an RG final or WTF final :lol6:)
I'ld like to see Delpo be N°1, hope it can happen some day

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions

Good post and I agree with all of it, except possibly Delpo being the greatest player never to reach #1. There are a lot of candidates. For context, here are the players to reach #2-5 as their highest ranking.

Ignoring Laver and Rosewall as they were #1 before the ATP era, the names that stand out to me are Arthur Ashe and Guillermo Vilas. Different era, but certainly pretty damn good players. Other than those two, though, Delpo has a very strong case.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It's up for debate for sure. But I feel comfortable saying that had Delpo not had the injuries he has had he would already have achieved no 1. He is that good. Lucky for Novak in my view because he would have taken from him particularly. Roger was a bit too much older than him, and Rafa will always have the dirt. Of the 3 it's clear to me that Novak would have been most disadvantaged. That's just my speculation of course, but he's now in the perfect position to go on and get those things. I really hope he does. That forehand deserves to produce more silverware

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Agreed. If he hadn't had the injuries, he would have given Murray a run for his money as fourth best of the era, and maybe we'd be talking about a Big Five. Oh well. I like him too and hope he gets to #1.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
So Rafa will get #1 back until Monte Carlo in a few weeks, and then he pretty much has to equal last year's clay performance or he'll lose #1 again, as he's only +100 points. He's got 4680 clay points to defend: 1000 at Monte Carlo, 500 at Barcelona, 1000 at Madrid, 180 at Rome, and 2000 at Roland Garros.

I suppose his only saving grace is that he could make up some points at Rome if need be, but that's not a lot of margin for error. That said, he could gain it back again if Roger doesn't win Wimbledon, and then lose it again at USO...so the baton could be passed back and forth all year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed. If he hadn't had the injuries, he would have given Murray a run for his money as fourth best of the era, and maybe we'd be talking about a Big Five. Oh well. I like him too and hope he gets to #1.
I agree with you on Murray, and @Federberg on Djokovic. If you remember, we did talk about a Big Five, even when del Po was out with his first injury. It was mostly theoretical, as it turned out, but everyone thought he was positioned to be the 5th guy, by which I don't mean only #5. I think everyone would be happy to see him get some of what he missed out on.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So Rafa will get #1 back until Monte Carlo in a few weeks, and then he pretty much has to equal last year's clay performance or he'll lose #1 again, as he's only +100 points. He's got 4680 clay points to defend: 1000 at Monte Carlo, 500 at Barcelona, 1000 at Madrid, 180 at Rome, and 2000 at Roland Garros.

I suppose his only saving grace is that he could make up some points at Rome if need be, but that's not a lot of margin for error. That said, he could gain it back again if Roger doesn't win Wimbledon, and then lose it again at USO...so the baton could be passed back and forth all year.
I'm happy that Rafa will get to pass McEnroe on the all-time list. But you're totally right about what he has to defend, and we have yet to see how he's recovered from his injury. Likely a good call about 1-2 changing hands between them as the year goes along. I think it will take awhile for anyone to break up that particular party for a while...too many points, right?