The Movie Reel

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
You make Will Smith sound like a lunatic. He was laughing along, then he flipped. It was the same GI Jane joke. I don’t think it’s possible he sat in wait for Chris Rock, because Chris Rock did nothing in 2016 that could cause Will Smith to lay in wait in the long grass like a crocodile, waiting for him this time…
Its the truth.2016, Chris words were :

Will have some deep seeded issues as I mentioned yesterday. He may not be a lunatic.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Will have some deep seeded issues as I mentioned yesterday. He may not be a lunatic.

That first article, if it isn't just standard gossip mag thrash, if it's true then he definitely is a lunatic! The bloke has been publicly humiliated by his wife for so long, tortured by her on television - but he holds a grudge about a couple of jokes that hit home, in 2016?

:astonished-face:

In the second article, that bloke Kareem speaks truth:

The basketball great also dismissed those who’ve “romanticized Smith’s actions as that of a loving husband defending his wife.”

“Actually, it was the opposite. Smith’s slap was also a slap to women. If Rock had physically attacked Pinkett Smith, Smith’s intervention would have been welcome,” he wrote. “But by hitting Rock, he announced that his wife was incapable of defending herself — against words. From everything I’d seen of Pinkett Smith over the years, she’s a very capable, tough, smart woman who can single-handedly take on a lame joke at the Academy Awards show.”

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

I'm a huge fan of Kareem, but I've spoken to a lot of black people in the UK about this incident. Admittedly they might have a slightly different life experience to African Americans but still... This defensive position that a lot of older African Americans have is a bit wearing for some. Why should everything a black person does be assumed to be representative of all black people? It makes no sense unless you've already conceded the worth of your position in society. That's as near a quote from someone who was infuriated by Stephen A Smith's rants about Will Smith...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm a huge fan of Kareem, but I've spoken to a lot of black people in the UK about this incident. Admittedly they might have a slightly different life experience to African Americans but still... This defensive position that a lot of older African Americans have is a bit wearing for some. Why should everything a black person does be assumed to be representative of all black people? It makes no sense unless you've already conceded the worth of your position in society. That's as near a quote from someone who was infuriated by Stephen A Smith's rants about Will Smith...
No.. Kareem is not saying that Will Smith represents all Black folks. He is saying what Stephen A said and a lot of Blacks, what Will did was not a good example to younger blacks who look at Will as a role model because he is considered somewhat of a good person. Chris Rock is also view very similar and to humiliate him that way when there's other ways he could have expressed his frustrations with the joke. Kareem is correct, that slap is going to live for eternity and Will knew better.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I did think about this documentary. Of all people to have made a joke about a Black woman's (lack of) hair. She could have chosen to wear a wig. (Much more common amongst Black women.) She chose to go shorn, which I have to think was a bold but vulnerable choice. She didn't need to be called out for it in a joke, least of all by a guy who made a film about Black Women's hair. He wrote it and produced it, so he thought about Black Women's hair, and their emotional relationship to it, a lot. He did say, "I love you. Can't wait for GI Jane 2." Maybe he was trying to validate her choice. But it was a joke, aimed at her vulnerable place. On second thought, I bet he wouldn't have made it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Margaret was asking about Richard Williams: Here's his thoughts

I thought Will totally hijacked the moment from the Williams Family which can't be replaced.
I disagree with this. The Oscars are film awards. The award for King Ricard was his moment, not theirs. It was their story, but they were just invited guests. He didn't hijack anything from them. Their legacy will do just fine no matter what Oscar kerfuffles ensue.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nothing in the US Is colorblind.

The luxury only white people have in the US, (and yes, I realize this is a broad statement) is that they don't have to think about race or ethnicity 24/7. Forget 24/7, a Caucasian individual doesn't have to wonder at all how it impacts their life being white in America. Ask a Black, Hispanic, Asian or any other POC if they have that same luxury.

I disagree with this. The Oscars are film awards. The award for King Ricard was his moment, not theirs. It was their story, but they were just invited guests. He didn't hijack anything from them. Their legacy will do just fine no matter what Oscar kerfuffles ensue.
Here is the problem: Will Smith COMPARED his actions to what Richard Williams faced as a father of the girls, he validated his behavior by hiding behind the legacy that Williams crafted with his daughters. Again his weird acceptance speech was the WORST self indulgent crap ever. You don't think that annoyed Richard Williams?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Nope! The movie was nominated for movie of the year. The night was about the Williams family story not just Will Smith's great performance. When Jamie Foxx won for Ray, the movie was a story that was about celebration of the life of Ray Charles. The same for Johnny and June Carter Cash. We will remember Ray Charles, Johnny and June Carter Cash. Going forward in regards to Sunday nights Oscars telecast, all everyone is gonna remember is that Will slapped the piss out of Chris Rock and also won an Academy award.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Nothing in the US Is colorblind.

The luxury only white people have in the US, (and yes, I realize this is a broad statement) is that they don't have to think about race or ethnicity 24/7. Forget 24/7, a Caucasian individual doesn't have to wonder at all how it impacts their life being white in America. Ask a Black, Hispanic, Asian or any other POC if they have that same luxury.

Here is the problem: Will Smith COMPARED his actions to what Richard Williams faced as a father of the girls, he validated his behavior by hiding behind the legacy that Williams crafted with his daughters. Again his weird acceptance speech was the WORST self indulgent crap ever. You don't think that annoyed Richard Williams?
Preach.. Although Richard was not a Saint Richard.. What Will did was not about love. Will did something to show that he had the power to do so in Hollywood and get away with it. Now, Chris says that he wasn't aware of Jada's immune disorder condition. We shall see how this eventually plays out for future projects with the Smiths.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nope! The movie was nominated for movie of the year. The night was about the Williams family story not just Will Smith's great performance. When Jamie Foxx won for Ray, the movie was a story that was about celebration of the life of Ray Charles. The same for Johnny and June Carter Cash. We will remember Ray Charles, Johnny and June Carter Cash. That night all anyone is gonna remember is that Will slapped the piss out of Chris Rock and also won an Academy award.
The Williams family came off perfectly fine, but I will say again, it wasn't their night. They are tennis players, and the Oscars are about films. I don't think what Will Smith did denigrates the Williams. Sure, it's what people will remember about this year's Oscars, but that has to do in part because the Oscars were otherwise so boring.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The Williams family came off perfectly fine, but I will say again, it wasn't their night. They are tennis players, and the Oscars are about films. I don't think what Will Smith did denigrates the Williams. Sure, it's what people will remember about this year's Oscars, but that has to do in part because the Oscars were otherwise so boring.
Moxie you are changing words to fit your narrative. I NEVER said what Will did denigrates the Williams and their legacy. Yes, the Oscars are about FILMS which are about story which in some case are a celebration of a character who may be real or fictional.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I did think about this documentary. Of all people to have made a joke about a Black woman's (lack of) hair. She could have chosen to wear a wig. (Much more common amongst Black women.) She chose to go shorn, which I have to think was a bold but vulnerable choice. She didn't need to be called out for it in a joke, least of all by a guy who made a film about Black Women's hair. He wrote it and produced it, so he thought about Black Women's hair, and their emotional relationship to it, a lot. He did say, "I love you. Can't wait for GI Jane 2." Maybe he was trying to validate her choice. But it was a joke, aimed at her vulnerable place. On second thought, I bet he wouldn't have made it.
definitely ad libbed for me. I don't think it came from a place of love. I've known people like this, in the moment they think nothing about using other people to further their own situation. I have no doubt Will Smith communicated his dislike of his joke in 2016. But still Chris Rock couldn't resist... in the moment... to get that extra laugh. The sad thing was, alopecia or not, it wasn't even a particularly good joke. All very sad... and very human

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
No.. Kareem is not saying that Will Smith represents all Black folks. He is saying what Stephen A said and a lot of Blacks, what Will did was not a good example to younger blacks who look at Will as a role model because he is considered somewhat of a good person. Chris Rock is also view very similar and to humiliate him that way when there's other ways he could have expressed his frustrations with the joke. Kareem is correct, that slap is going to live for eternity and Will knew better.
read the article mate. "and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community." I'm sorry but you don't get to change what he said to suit your argument. And I think that argument is a valid position for some black people to take. You don't have to agree with it, it's their feeling about their place in the world

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow! This whole thing is getting out of hand now. Someone just pointed out to me that the GI Jane joke could actually be a lot deeper than we all think. I don't believe it, but here's the idea anyway....

The person who played GI Jane (Demi Moore) cheated on her husband with the dude from that 70's Show (Ashton Kutcher) who was much younger than her...

Has to be coincidence! But still... the depths to which this whole thing has been analysed. Wow! :astonished-face: