The Movie Reel

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Preach! I’m also sick of people getting Oscars for portraying a real person. They’re being rewarded for doing an impersonation, not so much acting. Just think how many times it has happened in the last decade or so of actors portraying real people and getting an Oscar: Abraham Lincoln, Tammy Faye Baker, Richard Williams, Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher, Judy Garland, Freddie Mercury, Stephen Hawking, Edith Piaf, Katharine Hepburn, Ray Charles, Harvey Milk, Queen Elizabeth II, King George VI, Truman Capote, etc.
It's an excellent observation. If they're not getting it for portraying the latest cause or political fad, they get it for basically watching loads of YouTube vids of dead folk and mimicking them...

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
It definitely spoiled the show, it's all that anyone is talking about, which is a pity for everyone - including Will Smith, who's big moment was ruined. I doubt they'll take the award from him. Hollywood people aren't renowned for having principles. They'll sniff the wind in a few days and notice it's blowing elsewhere, and all over somebody else, and this will become part of history...
Indeed. I read earlier that reporters who went to the after-parties asked many celebrities to comment, and none of them did. In fact, some even had PR people step in and deflect the journalists. So much for their morals and principles.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That, among other places, is where you’re wrong. I read an article in Forbes Magazine today entitled Slapping Chris Rock Could Cost Will Smith More Than His Oscar which reviews the incident from a legal perspective. Here is the relevant section:

“The question that millions of people are asking this morning is whether Smith’s actions legally constituted assault and battery. While the Oscars are broadcast to a massive audience around the world, they are held in California where assault and battery are, by statute, two different crimes. It is clear that what happened at the Oscars was an assault under the California statutory definition.”

Solomon explains that California Penal Code 240 PC deals with assault, while California Penal Code 242 PC deals with battery. “It is clear that what happened at the Oscars was an assault under the California statutory definition. An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another.”

Solomon details the pivotal moment Smith first got up from his seat. “When Smith left his seat in response to Rock’s comment about his wife, walked up to the stage and approached him, he had the ability to commit a violent injury. This in itself is an assault. Legally, the assault is not predicated upon a successful commission of another act, such as striking the other person. Simply a threatening act or statement that causes another person to believe that they are about to be attacked constitutes an assault in California.”

Per Solomon, assault under California Penal Code 240 PC, known as “simple assault” is a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and/or up to six months in county jail. He also claims that this incident fits the California statutory definition of battery.

“A battery is any willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another. When Smith actually hit Rock, whether it was a strong open-handed slap or a closed-fist punch doesn’t matter at all according to the law, and he committed an extremely well-documented battery under California law.”

Battery under California Penal Code 242 PC is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and/or up to six months in county jail. This punishment, says Solomon, would likely never happen to Smith.”

Yes, Virginia, there was an assault.
I appreciate the information on the penal code. But in the context, do you find the slap to be that egregious? Do you want him brought up on charges?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I have heard from friends that have seen King Richard,the actress that played Oracene was outstanding.Hopefully in the next week or two I will get to watch it
Well Miss Margaret , My oldest daughter just gave me a lesson on Alopecia especially the ladies at her aunt's beauty salons. She said that a tremendously emotional experience for them and their insecurities. So I understand from a female perspective that its a extremely sensitive subject. Really heartbreaking testimonies ( Margaret I will send you a PM but its most likely the same type of testimonies from your friends and family). My perspective have change. God Bless.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I appreciate the information on the penal code. But in the context, do you find the slap to be that egregious? Do you want him brought up on charges?
Um … yes, it was egregious, quite frankly especially because it was viewed live around the world. Countless people will now think their own actions are justified because Will Smith did it in front of everyone and got away with it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Preach! I’m also sick of people getting Oscars for portraying a real person. They’re being rewarded for doing an impersonation, not so much acting. Just think how many times it has happened in the last decade or so of actors portraying real people and getting an Oscar: Abraham Lincoln, Tammy Faye Baker, Richard Williams, Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher, Judy Garland, Freddie Mercury, Stephen Hawking, Edith Piaf, Katharine Hepburn, Ray Charles, Harvey Milk, Queen Elizabeth II, King George VI, Truman Capote, etc.
I was going to reply to this one, too. While there have been some amazing performances based on real people, even when I wanted them not to be my favorites, for that reason, I'm rather sick of prosthetics and imitation being such an easy charm at the awards. I didn't see "The Eyes of Tammy Faye," so I can't comment on the performance, and I like Chastain a lot as an actor. But I loved Penelope Cruz, for example, who played a woman she (and Almodòvar) invented, who was full of complicated emotions that I could understand. Another of my favorite performances by a female actor wasn't even nominated, though she won the Palme D'or for it: Renate Reinsve. Norwegian film, most of you won't see it. But she plays a young woman over time trying to figure out who she actually wants to be. It's a still performance, that communicates her confusion not by emoting, but by waiting. And she's playing a real person that I have ever been, and she moved me. I honestly don't give a rat's ass about Tammy Faye Baker, or how well Jessica Chastain imitated her, or gave her "human emotion."

• Love
Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Um … yes, it was egregious, quite frankly especially because it was viewed live around the world. Countless people will now think their own actions are justified because Will Smith did it in front of everyone and got away with it.
I think that's a reach, but I totally understand that there is another way of looking at what happened. I see it as a venial sin, and you find it a mortal sin, to put it in Catholic terms. (Which I find useful here. Use your own terms, but it sort of explains how it's being judged.)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I was going to reply to this one, too. While there have been some amazing performances based on real people, even when I wanted them not to be my favorites, for that reason, I'm rather sick of prosthetics and imitation being such an easy charm at the awards. I didn't see "The Eyes of Tammy Faye," so I can't comment on the performance, and I like Chastain a lot as an actor. But I loved Penelope Cruz, for example, who played a woman she (and Almodòvar) invented, who was full of complicated emotions that I could understand. Another of my favorite performances by a female actor wasn't even nominated, though she won the Palme D'or for it: Renate Reinsve. Norwegian film, most of you won't see it. But she plays a young woman over time trying to figure out who she actually wants to be. It's a still performance, that communicates her confusion not by emoting, but by waiting. And she's playing a real person that I have ever been, and she moved me. I honestly don't give a rat's ass about Tammy Faye Baker, or how well Jessica Chastain imitated her, or gave her "human emotion."
This film - The Worst Person In The World - got a rave review yesterday in the London Sunday Times.

277233740_350218580406278_9193092830633978083_n.jpg
5105C397-8C46-4167-9142-7E8A96B535A0.jpeg

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
As for GI Jane reference, my daughter said to me "Dad, GI Jane was a hair choice by design, Jada's conditions was forced due to a very sensitive medical condition. I have been educated meaning that the emotional toll is on woman is greater than most could imagine. She explain that it effects EVERYTHNG they encounter in their day to day activities which I really don't want to explain in this post. God Bless!

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
As for GI Jane reference, my daughter said to me "Dad, GI Jane was a hair choice by design, Jada's conditions was forced due to a very sensitive medical condition. I have been educated. God Bless!
Did you not know that?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Did you not know that?
A course I knew that but I wasn't looking at it from a woman's emotional battle dealing with that disorder. My daughter explain to me the difficulties that the women that are impacted day to day. Again, I truly believe Chris didn't mean to make light of her condition but maybe it was too close to her recent battles to try to live a normal life while being in the public spotlight.

Reactions: Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It took him nearly 24 hours, but I guess it’s better than no apology.
Tented.. there are choices and actions. The difference is actions has consequences.

I have a rule about road rage. Whenever someone makes a foolish maneuver especially on the freeway, I count to myself 1,2,3,4 before I say 5 that vehicle is vanquished from my memory forever instead of some type of conflict. If Will would have said that to himself, the Oscars would have proceeded without incident. There's something deep rooted in Will (from his book as a young teenager he felt he was a coward because he felt that he should have confronted his father (Daddy Oh) when he witnessed his mother being physical abused). I think Will is still battling those demons but last night was not the proper time to exercised those demons. I feel using social media (Instagram) to express his thoughts is a weak form of apology. Its the same type of response from the person who he is trying to distance himself from his demons. Will needs to have a press conference with Chris face to face to apologize to that man. That's the way a Man finally defeats the demons from his past.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Double Preach!
Except if the person being portrayed is Tom Brady! That should win an Oscar automatically.
Tented.. there are choices and actions. The difference is actions has consequences.

I have a rule about road rage. Whenever someone makes a foolish maneuver especially on the freeway, I count to myself 1,2,3,4 before I say 5 that vehicle is vanquished from my memory forever instead of some type of conflict. If Will would have said that to himself, the Oscars would have proceeded without incident. There's something deep rooted in Will (from his book as a young teenager he felt he was a coward because he felt that he should have confronted his father (Daddy Oh) when he witnessed his mother being physical abused). I think Will is still battling those demons but last night was not the proper time to exercised those demons. I feel using social media (Instagram) to express his thoughts is a weak form of apology. Its the same type of response from the person who he is trying to distance himself from his demons. Will needs to have a press conference with Chris face to face to apologize to that man. That's the way a Man finally defeats the demons from his past.
The problem with these belated "public/instagram/twitter" apologies is they all seem to fit the same cookie cutter PR vetted celebrity penance, down to the proverbial "work in progress" cliche.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s on my must-see list, so I’m glad it got such a great review.

I’m also anxious to see Licorice Pizza.
I love the sub-lede on the review: "So good you'll forget it's Norwegian." However, I object to it being called a "rom-com." There is much to do with her romantic life, there are lots of laughs, and there is one wildly romantic scene that is completely breathtaking. But, if you go in expecting a "rom-com," you will be reminded that it is Scandinavian.

I already said I loved Licorice Pizza, I think? Anyway, if there were such a category, its soundtrack should win "Mix-tape of the Year."

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hate it when the ONE performance in the nominated category I can't bear to win does win, LOL. I would have been perfectly happy with Penelope Cruz, Kristen Stewart and especially Olivia Coleman and could have lived it with Nicole Kidman. Kidman isn't the same type as Lucille Ball at all, but she does convey the drive, intensity and sadness of the famous comedian. In a weird way, the fact that she cannot do a mimicry of Lucy actually frees the performance IMO.

Can''t believe I forgot to mention Olivia Coleman in "The Lost Daughter." It's a movie based on one the novels of that great Italian writer Ellena Ferrante.

It's quite a disturbing and haunting film, and Olivia's character is complex and far from sympathetic. It's one of the few modern mainstream films which deals with the subject of a woman who has made her choices in life who did not put her children first in her life and genuinely doesn't regret it. My wife said that it captures the ambivalence some women have toward motherhood. You can't quite put your finger on her character and I was blown away that the actress Maggie Gylenhaal directing in her first film produced such a mature work of art. The supporting cast, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Ed Harris, etc is excellent. Did I mention the film is haunting?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree. I stopped assigning credibility to the Oscars when Jodie Foster won it for The Accused. I'm sorry but her performance was not comparable to Glen Close in Dangerous Liaisons. After that I never bothered taking it seriously again