The Movie Reel

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The one good thing this year is that the hammy overacting in the House of Gucci was overlooked. Jared Leto as one of the Gucci Brothers with his fat suit and thick Italian accent was sooo over the top and offensive.

I still remember Francis Ford Coppola saying when he made the first Godfather movie that he was so sick and tired of Italian American characters born and raised in the States talking in movies with thick Italian accents.

In the case of the House of Gucci, they should have NO accents as they ostensibly were portraying Native Italians speaking Italian and just translated to the screen in English.
Jared Leto is a horrible actor. Another example of the wrong geezer getting an Oscar, and it going to his head. I saw clips of his performance in House of Gucci and you're correct, it's offensive. It's like those awful Hollywood diddly-ai Oirish accents we've suffered through for decades. Mark Kermode, the excellent BBOC and Guardian critic compared it to Joe Dolci and his 80's hit, Shaddup-ah Your Face, which was spot on..

Here it is, get ready to break your laptop:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
what's fair.. why not review Woody Allen and Polanski.. what about any award that was influenced by harvey weinstein.. that's fair..
Polanski, by all means, though everyone in Hollywood rose to their feet to cheer him and defend him before fashion changed and they all looked like what they really are, which is shallow, self-aggrandizing nincompoops working from a faulty moral compass - but why Woody Allen?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought Will Smith's half assed and indulgent " apology" made it worse. Calling himself a river for others and a vessel of love...WTF???

The twitter responses were dead on.
To his justification being "love makes you do crazy things"

Twitter Responses were :
"Yea, every battered woman and victim of violence has heard that line being used".
One thing social media is great at is getting the memes up and running, the gifs and the gags, and the barbs. In this one, the mine is gonna be rich for plumbing. It's a pity for Will Smith that Denzil didn't get to him earlier. This was his big night, but he's probably made himself feel awful, and turned so many people against him. His speech was pathetic. Another meme later showed the difference between Rock and Smith after the slap. One of them was grinning and the other blubbing like a baby. Chris Rock knows, the best revenge is a wide bright smile....

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Lets keep to the present okay.,those others you mentioned,I just shudder still in disbelief.
Again, if Chris didn't file assault charges why is something that needs to be reviewed? How would the Academy look if they remove his award but later discovered this was all staged? The Oscars got a huge rating bump at the expense of one of the most famous actors in the world who is African American. They are not gonna do a thing because the negative publicity would ruin their future shows because they are already on notice for lack of diversity. The sad thing about it is to see such a well know respected man in the African American community striking another one of his peers. That's not a good look and for someone to say that Chris Rock "deserves it" is truly asinine. IMO

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Polanski, by all means, though everyone in Hollywood rose to their feet to cheer him and defend him before fashion changed and they all looked like what they really are, which is shallow, self-aggrandizing nincompoops working from a faulty moral compass - but why Woody Allen?
Woody Allen had developed a relationship with his teenaged adopted daughter who was underaged (the pure definition of statutory rape). Surely, that violates the code of ethics with the Academy. Doesn't it?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Again, if Chris didn't file assault charges why is something that needs to be reviewed? How would the Academy look if they remove his award but later discovered this was all staged? The Oscars got a huge rating bump at the expense of one of the most famous actors in the world who is African American. They are not gonna do a thing because the negative publicity would ruin their future shows because they are already on notice for lack of diversity. The sad thing about it is to see such a well know respected man in the African American community striking another one of his peers. That's not a good look and for someone to say that Chris Rock "deserves it" is truly asinine. IMO
Well that is what I am hearing from the academy....I still find that anyone making jokes about a auto immune problem,especially when his wife Jada is sitting in the audience is just 'crass',I can understand Will being upset,still he should not of got up on stage and hit Chris Rock.,I asked my husband what would he do if someone made a 'so called joke' if I suffered hair loss due to an auto immune problem in front of people? he replied he would have stood up for me,that is what Will Smith was doing,expect he took it too far.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Woody Allen had developed a relationship with his teenaged adopted daughter who was underaged (the pure definition of statutory rape). Surely, that violates the code of ethics with the Academy. Doesn't it?
You think the Academy have ethics? :astonished-face::lol6:

But she wasn't his adopted daughter. In fact, he barely spent time with her at all, and the relationship began when she was 21 years old - and they're still together over 30 years later. Woody Allen might be the most defamed character in Hollywood, being commonly misplaced in the files, alongside Polanski, a convicted child rapist, and Weinstein, a convicted rapist...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Academy never said that they were considering it. I think a reporter inquired if the act violated their "standards". They would have to go back and review Polanski and Woody Allen post Oscar winning behavior. It would be different if Chris Rock filed assaults' charges.
This is what I'm thinking...they'd be asked to rethink way too many previous winners. I don't necessarily think it would be different if Rock had filed charges. It's a whole can of worms, either way.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
...Will Smith went nuts, and he can't be excused because Jane Campion said something that the sisters felt insulted about. Jane Campion is a trooper, a legend, she's been making films for years and she's earned the right to say whatever she feels when it comes to her experience in Hollywood, and she shouldn't apologise for it. She's earned her awards not because her politics are modish, but because she's a great artist...

Talking about the crap Jane Campion had to put up with :

As Jane pointed out later in her response, there is room in the mythologized West for everyone...

Many have pointed out how both sexist and homophobic Sam Elliots remarks are. 99.99% of all Westerns are inaccurate to history, from excluding showing that at least a quarter of all cowboys in the "real" west were either Black or Mexican American, and let's not even get going how Native Americans in all the "classic" Westerns have been portrayed. Yet Elliot decided to point out that Jane Campion does not understand the Western... WTF? And bitching that New Zealand was used as a location for Montana....so I guess all the spaghetti westerns Clint Eastwood filmed in Europe somehow escaped his attention, as well as all movies that used a different physical location for the area portrayed? And so help me , complaining that Cumberbatch was wearing chaps all the time? LOL.

Campion is also under intense pressure when she gets bashed by others...

Reactions: tented and Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
You think the Academy have ethics? :astonished-face::lol6:

But she wasn't his adopted daughter. In fact, he barely spent time with her at all, and the relationship began when she was 21 years old - and they're still together over 30 years later. Woody Allen might be the most defamed character in Hollywood, being commonly misplaced in the files, alongside Polanski, a convicted child rapist, and Weinstein, a convicted rapist...
You think Woody waited until she was of age to have sex with her. Okay.. if that what you believe.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Talking about the crap Jane Campion had to put up with :

As Jane pointed out later in her response, there is room in the mythologized West for everyone...

Many have pointed out how both sexist and homophobic Sam Elliots remarks are. 99.99% of all Westerns are inaccurate to history, from excluding showing that at least a quarter of all cowboys in the "real" west were either Black or Mexican American, and let's not even get going how Native Americans in all the "classic" Westerns have been portrayed. Yet Elliot decided to point out that Jane Campion does not understand the Western... WTF? And bitching that New Zealand was used as a location for Montana....so I guess all the spaghetti westerns Clint Eastwood filmed in Europe somehow escaped his attention, as well as all movies that used a different physical location for the area portrayed? And so help me , complaining that Cumberbatch was wearing chaps all the time? LOL.

Campion is also under intense pressure when she gets bashed by others...
Exactly, and much as I love a good foul-mouthed rant, I think Sam Elliott must have been drunk. But Jane Campion directed that film beautifully, and of course, it's a valid topic for a western, and it had a great revenge twist, which was very satisfying. But you're right, she faces a lot of heat, and this time stepping on more mainstream toes by filming a western, she handled the criticism by Elliott with typical class...

Reactions: Jelenafan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well that is what I am hearing from the academy....I still find that anyone making jokes about a auto immune problem,especially when his wife Jada is sitting in the audience is just 'crass',I can understand Will being upset,still he should not of got up on stage and hit Chris Rock.,I asked my husband what would he do if someone made a 'so called joke' if I suffered hair loss due to an auto immune problem in front of people? he replied he would have stood up for me,that is what Will Smith was doing,expect he took it too far.
Let's examine the "joke". Chris words were "Jada, I love ya. G.I. Jane 2, can't wait to see it." My question to you is if you were with your family members or a neighbor said to you, Margaret , you look like GI Jane. Are you telling me you want your husband to assault your family members or neighbors?

1648499814645.png
1648499848084.png

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Let's examine the "joke". Chris words were "Jada, I love ya. G.I. Jane 2, can't wait to see it." My question to you is if you were with your family members or a neighbor said to you, Margaret , you look like GI Jane. Are you telling me you want your husband to assault your family members or neighbors?

View attachment 6348 View attachment 6349
Exactly. There have been suggestions that Chris Rock targetted her one time too many. In other words, he "targeted her" twice. The first time, was 2016 when she boycotted the ceremony on whatever principle was the fashion back then. And Chris Rock joked:

“Jada said she’s not coming, protest. I was like, ‘Isn’t she on a TV show?’ Jada’s going to boycott the Oscars? Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited!”

Then he mentioned Will, with a line that’s very true and worth remembering, if Will Smith is an intelligent fellow:

“It’s not fair that Will was this good and didn’t get nominated [for Concussion]. You’re right. It’s also not fair that Will was paid $20 million for ‘Wild Wild West,’ OK?”

As Don Draper once told Peggy:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

View attachment 6348 View attachment 6349
I challenge anyone to tell me how this lady isnt one of the top Hollywood beauties of all time ! Even with the buzz cut. So what is so offensive about what Chris said.

Chris once told Opah with when she showed him a picture of herself as a child, she looked like a slave.( here is his exact words " “That’s when you were a slave, huh?” he said about her childhood photograph" . And Oprah laughed and laughed.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Lets keep to the present okay.,those others you mentioned,I just shudder still in disbelief.
it does beg the question though... what's the statute of limitation for an award? Because some of the heinous stuff done in the past... it could be a century. You can't tell me that a slap is worse. They should have had the balls to stop the award before they gave it. They had time. This now is just cowardice

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I challenge anyone to tell me how this lady isnt one of the top Hollywood beauties of all time ! Even with the buzz cut. So what is so offensive about what Chris said.

Chris once told Opah with when she showed him a picture of herself as a child, she looked like a slave.( here is his exact words " “That’s when you were a slave, huh?” he said about her childhood photograph" . And Oprah laughed and laughed.
Exactly, and she is beautiful, and they have a very weird and troubled marriage, which might be the real reason why Will Smith had to be the caveman. By the way, lost in this is that a lot of comedians become comics early on because they're victims of bullying. It's a defence mechanism. It's their only weapon. And Chris Rock was a victim of bullying when he was young, but look how he well handled the situation now...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Exactly, and she is beautiful, and they have a very weird and troubled marriage, which might be the real reason why Will Smith had to be the caveman. By the way, lost in this is that a lot of comedians become comics early on because they're victims of bullying. It's a defence mechanism. It's their only weapon. And Chris Rock was a victim of bullying when he was young, but look how he well handled the situation now...
Exactly, think about if Chris would have decked Will . What would the world say then? Chris showed a lot of character by keeping his composure and not retaliating. If that was the late Bernie Mac, Dave Chapelle, the Wayans Brothers (all 6 of them) Eddie Griffin or Eddie Murphy, (Lord know it was the late great Charlie Murphy) Will may not been able to accept his own award. This is why again I believe this was stage, Chris Rock has a brother and I know they had plenty of fights.