The Movie Reel

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Chris Rock wasn't humiliated by that. He took it well. And he'll dine out on it forever. But he deserved it.
He deserved it? I’m stunned you’re taking this view of Smith who, under California penal code, committed both assault and battery. What if it had been Amy Schumer or Wanda Sykes who was slapped? Would your opinion remain the same? They both made jokes about people who were present. Did they deserve to be slapped?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I realize that,still he was not mentioned,quite frankly I thought was bizarre.
I thought he mentioned Richard's name several times..if you are talking about his health maybe he left that to his daughters and family to provide insights on his current condition. Just my two cents

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought he mentioned Richard's name several times..if you are talking about his health maybe he left that to his daughters and family to provide insights on his current condition. Just my two cents
Will Smith did make mention of Richard Willliams in his speech,I just thought someone might of said he was unable to attend the Oscars that was all.,seeing the movie was mainly about him.Maybe the family wanted privacy,about Richard,which I can understand

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
What a stunning situation. When you consider the fact that Will and Jada both know Chris Rock personally. Chris cameo'd on Fresh Prince, and he did Madagascar with Jada. Dave Chappelle is known to give people he involves in his comedy a heads up. That was probably the way to do it. Particularly for someone you know. I just makes you wonder. I think his joke was completely over the line. The woman has alopecia for goodness sakes. In an industry where vanity is rampant, she has to be feeling it. And he already involved her in one of his bits in the Oscar he hosted. It makes you wonder if there was something personal there. I can't condone what Smith did, but daaaaamn..

If he had just shouted at Chris Rock as he had after he sat back down I would be totally ok with that. But what Smith did was too much. But I do feel that any excessive pity for Chris Rock is also too much. Definitely two wrongs in my view. Joke about her fashion sense. or acting. But an ailment? No... too much!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What a stunning situation. When you consider the fact that Will and Jada both know Chris Rock personally. Chris cameo'd on Fresh Prince, and he did Madagascar with Jada. Dave Chappelle is known to give people he involves in his comedy a heads up. That was probably the way to do it. Particularly for someone you know. I just makes you wonder. I think his joke was completely over the line. The woman has alopecia for goodness sakes. In an industry where vanity is rampant, she has to be feeling it. And he already involved her in one of his bits in the Oscar he hosted. It makes you wonder if there was something personal there. I can't condone what Smith did, but daaaaamn..

If he had just shouted at Chris Rock as he had after he sat back down I would be totally ok with that. But what Smith did was too much. But I do feel that any excessive pity for Chris Rock is also too much. Definitely two wrongs in my view. Joke about her fashion sense. or acting. But an ailment? No... too much!
Hi Federberg,
As for the ailment, did you see Jada, she looks amazing and I am not into little chicks like her. I could see her in GI Jane 2, maybe bring back Demi and they both wrestle in the nude in the mud! I'm down with it.
Think about it. its Hollywood and it suppose to be over the top. I'm quite sure the animosity is with the Smiths and the Academy more than anything with Chris Rock. Would Will risk getting sued by Chris Rock for an incident that was viewed around the world. Just like the SB with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. Total shock value and ultimate publicity stunt. I think King Richard will get a double bump at the box office and the HBO Max video streaming.. Chris Rock has a nationwide tour kicking off in the few months and it gives Jada's Red Circle and career another bump. Brilliant move by the middle age Comedian/Actors..Bravo

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Hi Federberg,, Think about it. its Hollywood and it suppose to be over the top. I'm quite sure the animosity is with the Smiths and the Academy more than anything with Chris Rock. Would Will risk getting sued by Chris Rock for an incident that was viewed around the world. Just like the SB with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. Total shock value and ultimate publicity stunt. I think King Richard will get a double bump at the box office and the HBO Max video streaming.. Chris Rock has a nationwide tour kicking off in the few months and it gives Jada's Red Circle and career another bump. Brilliant move by the middle age Comedian/Actors..Bravo
I don't agree. The way he shouted at Chris Rock felt authentic to me. And you only have to look at Lupita sitting behind him. She was feeling the energy, that wasn't a skit mate. That was real to me

Reactions: tented

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wow, besides that I don't like how they are running the Oscar's Ceremony the last two years I think Will went too far. I understand the joke wasn't of a very good taste but his over reaction was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought Will Smith's half assed and indulgent " apology" made it worse. Calling himself a river for others and a vessel of love...WTF???

The twitter responses were dead on.
To his justification being "love makes you do crazy things"

Twitter Responses were :
"Yea, every battered woman and victim of violence has heard that line being used".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kieran and tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Will Smith did make mention of Richard Willliams in his speech,I just thought someone might of said he was unable to attend the Oscars that was all.,seeing the movie was mainly about him.Maybe the family wanted privacy,about Richard,which I can understand
They each only get so many tickets for guests, so it could be as simple as that they gave the tickets to Venus and Serena.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The double standards reek.

Wanda Skyes and other female comedians have done just as tasteless jokes, Laverne Cox even on a red carpet made a joke on the Smith's entanglements. Tacky and yes inappropriate.

If Will Smith had belted them across the face would the rationalizations "he was just protecting, he was motivated by family love, etc" still work?.

We all know the answer to that.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s shocking, isn’t it? To be honest, I haven’t seen the film but I never thought of Will Smith as “a great actor”, but that’s hardly a criteria anymore for winning an Oscar, and maybe he gave a great performance, I don’t know.

But to slap Chris Rock on stage? I mean, firstly, we all know way too much about Will Smith’s marriage. Another sleb who continuously invades our privacy. But if Chris Rock mentions you in his act, be proud, laugh, wait, and it’ll soon be someone else. One of Chris Rock’s most inappropriate but hilarious moments was making a joke out of Christopher Reeve’s paralysis. This is his act. To go up on stage during the Oscar’s and slap him for cracking a joke?

I thought Chris Rock handled it very well. I thought the slap only draws more attention to the Smiths and their marriage. Denzil Washington told Will Smith after he’d collected his Oscar to be careful, that it’s during your best moments, the devil comes for you. Denzil’s a class act, a truly great actor, and he played Macbeth, and everyone said he was great. It’s a pity he didn’t win it…
Will performance was good but not great. I always that his performance in the Pursuit of Happiness was his best. I want to see MacBeth because I am sure Denzel is fantastic. Maybe he will make a MacBeth prequel and win it next year. jajaa

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't agree. The way he shouted at Chris Rock felt authentic to me. And you only have to look at Lupita sitting behind him. She was feeling the energy, that wasn't a skit mate. That was real to me
He gonna get mad about someone joke about her haircut but not jump on the dude who was in the sack with his wife during the ENTANGLEMENT. hmm okay we shall see..

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The double standards reek.

Wanda Skyes and other female comedians have done just as tasteless jokes, Laverne Cox even on a red carpet made a joke on the Smith's entanglements. Tacky and yes inappropriate.

If Will Smith had belted them across the face would the rationalizations "he was just protecting, he was motivated by family love, etc" still work?.

We all know the answer to that.
I'm sorry but it's NOT the same. It's one thing to make a joke about the things that people have done wrong (Ricky Gervais is good at that). Making. a joke about someone's illness is different. I don't understand the confusion here

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Now I am hearing reports that the academy is looking into stripping Will Smith of his award? as they do not condone violence.
Any one else is hearing this news?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
He gonna get mad about someone joke about her haircut but not jump on the dude who was in the sack with his wife during the ENTANGLEMENT. hmm okay we shall see..
people are too caught up in all that. If they had an open relationship then why would he "jump" on the guy? Should Jada jump on all the women he had entanglements with?

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm sorry but it's NOT the same. It's one thing to make a joke about the things that people have done wrong (Ricky Gervais is good at that). Making. a joke about someone's illness is different. I don't understand the confusion here
Even if it was inappropriate it does not merit responding in violence. let me double down, If a female comedienne had done the same joke, striking her would be just wrong but many more would see it right away. That is the double standard.

So yes, I don't also understand the confusion.

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He deserved it? I’m stunned you’re taking this view of Smith who, under California penal code, committed both assault and battery. What if it had been Amy Schumer or Wanda Sykes who was slapped? Would your opinion remain the same? They both made jokes about people who were present. Did they deserve to be slapped?
Look, I wrote that in the moment. Anyone writing today has had to the time to think about it and the benefit of the editorial opinions of others. I think it was an overreaction on Will Smith's part, and I also agree with @Federberg that neither does Rock serve excessive pity. And I won't entertain the "what if" of had it been Amy Schumer, etc., because the circumstances would have been different, so I am I to know? I'm just not going to manufacture an outrage over this that I don't feel. The man got slapped, not assaulted. At least he was able to laugh it off, which was the correct response. Clearly, Jada didn't like the remark. Will Smith would have been tense, waiting for his category to come up, and I do think that the role he played, and the fact of the Sisters having been previously insulted from the podium by Jane Campion at another show may have played a part. That's my opinion. When he was striding towards Chris Rock, and Chris realized he wasn't joking, he called him "Richard." I don't know exactly why it didn't bother me as much as it clearly has others, but it didn't.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Now I am hearing reports that the academy is looking into stripping Will Smith of his award? as they do not condone violence.
Any one else is hearing this news?
that would be so weak! The time to do it was before they gave it him. I can't imagine they. would be that stupid and clumsy. I hope they're not. I mean... who would want to accept the Oscar now? Madness