The Movie Reel

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I haven't seen the old one, yet, while I liked the new one for its stylishness and Del Toro creepiness, I was really surprised that he made it too long, which it was. He's usually more "economical" than that, as a storyteller. None of those old noirs came it at anything like that long.
Del Toro films are a mixed bag for me, I admit. Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite films ever and yes, Pacific Rim is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I do find "The Shape of Water" highly overrated. You hit it on the nail, his Nightmare Alley is bit bloated, it's like directors love that style so much they wallow in it. Cate Blanchett has done a couple of these with mixed results, think of The Good German.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Del Toro films are a mixed bag for me, I admit. Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite films ever and yes, Pacific Rim is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I do find "The Shape of Water" highly overrated. You hit it on the nail, his Nightmare Alley is bit bloated, it's like directors love that style so much they wallow in it. Cate Blanchett has done a couple of these with mixed results, think of The Good German.
I agree that he can be a mixed bag for me, too. I know he didn't make Hellboy for me. But both Pan's Labyrinth and The Shape of Water are my favorites of his, and I don't think the later is overrated in the least. But his films are strange things, so I get differing opinions. The Good German is a good comparison, as to a not great but interesting try at remaking an old, in this case, war movie.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Me three, regarding del Toro. And I agree with you both ( @Jelenafan and @Moxie ) about Pan’s Labyrinth, but also the Shape of water, which I thought was exceptional - and Nightmare Alley, which has a skinny-fit film waiting to get out. Remember when there were movies that were “epics”, but now there’s just films that are “long?” Maybe streaming and television do epic better? I don’t know, but there’s films that are just long, and they take their time getting there. Maybe they have to compete too hard, to justify the cost of the ticket?

I don’t know. But there’s definitely a sea change been happening, and it’s irreversible, even though we’ll always love movies. Even the Oscar’s aren’t as interesting anymore. For me, anyway, and I suckled the disappointment of Clark Gable not getting the Oscar for Gone With The Wind from my mammy’s teat… :yes:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Remember when there were movies that were “epics”, but now there’s just films that are “long?” Maybe streaming and television do epic better? I don’t know, but there’s films that are just long, and they take their time getting there. Maybe they have to compete too hard, to justify the cost of the ticket?
I've been thinking same. Like an all-you-can-eat-buffet...get your fill of food that is mediocre at best, but there's lots of it! (PS: Loved "skinny-fit film waiting to get out!")
I suckled the disappointment of Clark Gable not getting the Oscar for Gone With The Wind from my mammy’s teat… :yes:
The awards over the years are littered with choices the Academy must regret with shame.

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
King Richard:
Will Smith is good as Richard Williams, relentless and annoying. However I thought the standout performance was Aunjanue Ellis as Oracene Williams, her spin on the long suffering and loving wife/mother who is fiercely protective of her daughters and more than aware of her husband’s shortcomings was great.
Somehow I missed this post and skipped straight to Kieran's. I agree that Aunjanue Ellis's performance as Oracene is overlooked. Still, I love Will Smith, and by tennis commentator accounts, he nailed him. I liked the film fine, but it was a straightforward biopic with good performances.

CODA was good, the underdog gritty story of a hearing impaired family and I like how it tried at times showing things from their point of view; the irony of having a musically gifted daughter they can’t hear but can see others reaction to her singing. Eugenio Derbez is a well known Mexican actor and it was nice to see him cast as the music professor who helps nurture her talent. The film had some quirky inventive touches, it’s really a “rocky” type of film.
I'm looking forward to it.
Belfast I enjoyed, well directed and it’s folksy idealistic portrait of the Irish family ( Director Kenneth Branagh’s childhood revisited) amid the troubles in Northern Ireland, while heartwarming, I dunno, a little too fairy tale like for me to vote as Best Picture. Still a little surprised it didn’t get the lead actors playing the parents any acting nods.
I understand what you say about Belfast, but, it's a memory piece, so not so much a "fairy tale," (IMO) as a tale told from a child's perspective. It's impossible to tell your own childhood without some sentimental veneer, but, as a childhood, it was also harsh and terrifying. I totally agree that the actors who played the parents were unfairly ignored. Judi Dench and Ciaran Hinds were lovely, but Catriona Balfour (I never get her name right) and Jamie Dornan were the painful glue. And overall, I thought it was gorgeous.

Penelope Cruz in Parallel Mothers was fantastic, something about her and Almodovar just clicks. She’s pretty amazing , she so alive as a mother.
I agree she gave a great performance, and that she and Almodóvar has an incredible chemistry as actor and director. I loved the film, more than most I know. It's a bit somber for him, but the storyline of repatriating Republican remains from the Civil War affected me. Not something he's confronted before, and I'm glad he did, and the way he did.
I’m not excusing Jane Campions silly comparison with the Williams but “Power of the Dog “ is such an interesting and original work and it doesn’t quite go the way you expect it to. It’s a very mature work and the acting is outstanding from everyone, Kirsten Dunst is exceptional.
I agree it's a very good film, and, as I said above, I think it's a director's film. TBH, it's one of those films I'd like more if the critics hadn't taken it SO SERIOUSLY. There are late-takes on Westerns, though, that I like more.
As a science fiction geek loved the Dune got nominate, the film really did create the world of the novel.
I felt the same that they got much of what I saw in the novel mostly right. I'm not at all a sci-fi geek, but I have a sentimental attachment to that book, and I thought they did pretty right by it.
West Side Story I would love for it to win because I didn’t think anyone could make that warhorse of a story fresh again and yet Spielberg did it. The camerawork and editing just flows and the numbers are all restaged in such a fresh take of the songs.
I'd be fine if it does. As I said above, I think it outdid the original. Agreed with all you say there.

I'll mention another film I liked: The Worst Person in the World, a Norwegian film. The lead actress in that, Renate Reinsve, who won the Palme d'Or, should have been nominated over some whose names I won't name. It's part of an Oslo Trilogy, though unintended, I think.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oscars are this weekend, and there are a couple of tennis-related notes. Power of the Dog: I didn't love it, and I will be disappointed if it wins Best Picture. It's interesting and admirable, and it "has a lot on its mind," as one critic I heard put it. It's a director's film, and I won't be sorry if Jane Campion gets the award for it. (see note below) But Benedict Cumberbatch is far from the most interesting performance in it.

Jane Campion made an unforced error in her speech at the upon winning best director at the Critics Choice awards. Venus and Serena were there because "King Richard," about their father, and their upbringing, was also nominated in various categories. (Will Smith has won a few awards for playing Richard Williams.) While she honored them in her speech, she then said, "but you don't play against the guys, and I have to." I'm sure some here will take her side and say she didn't mean any harm, but she dragged them in for no reason, and then served a backhand well-wide of the compliment zone. It was tone-deaf, and massive apologies have ensued.

I'd rather "Belfast," which I did love. I haven't seen "CODA," but it is surging, as a small film that actual people loved, not just critics. I also loved "Parallel Mothers," "The Hand of God," (both more quiet films from each director than you'd expect. I loved "The Worst Person in the World," whose lead actress should have been nominated, but of course it was in Norwegian. I liked "Being the Ricardos" more than most. Could have done without another Diana film in "Spencer," though Kristen Stewart is very good. Oh, and "King Richard" is much better than you would have thought. Haven't seen "The Tragedy of Macbeth" yet, but I may squeeze it in before Sunday.

You're welcome if this helps you in your Oscar pool. :popcorn
I urge you to see Coda I feel it could win the Best Picture this year,there is something deeply moving and reassuring about the manner in which this movie connects with viewers of all types and tastes.Coda's story of a large deaf family's reliance on the only member who can hear. I wont give too much away.Power of the Dog might be the other favorite move to win Best Picture of the Year

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I urge you to see Coda I feel it could win the Best Picture this year,there is something deeply moving and reassuring about the manner in which this movie connects with viewers of all types and tastes.Coda's story of a large deaf family's reliance on the only member who can hear. I wont give too much away.Power of the Dog might be the other favorite move to win Best Picture of the Year
I can't see it yet, as I don't have the right pay service for it, but I am very keen. I heard a couple of reviewers today gaming the Oscars, and one said something interesting: in the context that the Oscars are trying to be more "of the people," he said: "All of the reviewers I know are talking about "The Power of the Dog." But all of the people in my life are talking about "CODA." He basically said that if the Oscars want to reflect the movie-goers to themselves, "CODA" should win over "The Power of the Dog."

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pan's Labryinth is probably the best movie he made. His work went south ever since, I had no idea he made Nightmare Alley. I guess I have given up on his work after watching Shape of Water which I found horrible. If you are into fantasy and good storyline I hope you watched The Fall (2006) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_7

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Penelope Cruz in Parallel Mothers was fantastic, something about her and Almodovar just clicks. She’s pretty amazing , she so alive as a mother.
I haven't picked it up yet, normally I watch Almodovar movies. There is almost always Penelope Cruz there, yeah as @Moxie said, there is chemistry there and it works great.
I’m not excusing Jane Campions silly comparison with the Williams but “Power of the Dog “ is such an interesting and original work and it doesn’t quite go the way you expect it to. It’s a very mature work and the acting is outstanding from everyone, Kirsten Dunst is exceptional.
I have it on hard drive, but somehow resisting to watch. It's Benedict Cumberbatch for 2 hours that is not easy for me. Some say there is similarities with There Will Be Blood?
As a science fiction geek loved the Dune got nominate, the film really did create the world of the novel.
I haven't read the novels though I have them, but I'm more into financial books these days. Watched the movie recently and visually it was great, but if I have to compare this one to Blade Runner from the same director I'd say Blade Runner had deeper story and was better. Maybe partly because there is still Dune Part Two coming up to wrap up a story, so I'm looking forward to that one. I like all movies from Villenueve, even Enemy and his breakthrough work Incendies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Holy Toledo, I just saw Venus's dress at the Oscars. She'd better not turn to one side or the other, but very beautiful!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Holy Toledo, I just saw Venus's dress at the Oscars. She'd better not turn to one side or the other, but very beautiful!
Just saw her dress on Twitter as well,I suggest Vee stays front on,agree not move side to side.Venus does look beautiful

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just saw her dress on Twitter as well,I suggest Vee stays front on,agree not move side to side.Venus does look beautiful
Just kidding. I once had a great vintage dress that was open all the way to the waist, and it was so beautifully built that you could never embarrass yourself. I'm confident that Venus's is at LEAST that well-made. She looks amazing! Haven't seen Serena yet, but she must be there. Can't wait!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yay best supporting actor goes to Coda Troy Kostur,,my pick to win Best Film, ,used sign language as well.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I must say Serena's dress looks like 'lingerie' something you would wear to bed,very sheer,though the colour suites her.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just kidding. I once had a great vintage dress that was open all the way to the waist, and it was so beautifully built that you could never embarrass yourself. I'm confident that Venus's is at LEAST that well-made. She looks amazing! Haven't seen Serena yet, but she must be there. Can't wait!
You were right Venus had no problems with her dress:)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yay again Coda wins the Best Picture of the Year,it won 3 awards all up
It is a film not to be missed...I could watch it again easily

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yup Will Smith slapped/socked Chris Rock on live TV.

Makes me regret rooting for him to win Best Actor, which he did.
He apologized (sort of) in his acceptance speech , but so help me compared himself to Richard Williams, but it was just awkward and tacky. Chris Rock was just making a joke, way overblown.

ETA: and yes, I knowJada Pickett Smith has a skin condition thus the loss of hair.

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I must say Serena's dress looks like 'lingerie' something you would wear to bed,very sheer,though the colour suites her.
Frankly, I thought it was terrible. Too frilly. I like her win much more body-fitting. But, yes, so happy for Will Smith. Great speech. Very emotional. Even after he decked Chris Rock.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Frankly, I thought it was terrible. Too frilly. I like her win much more body-fitting. But, yes, so happy for Will Smith. Great speech. Very emotional. Even after he decked Chris Rock.
I much prefer Venus dress,I could not believe Will Smith did that,I thought it was 'staged' found out a bit later it was Real.