The Movie Reel

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You know, I don't think I've seen even one, or rather I've seen a film or two with him in it, but not one in which he was the star. I guess I was never drawn to his brand of machismo.
It is machismo, of the blunt instrument variety, and his films aren't as well made or well scripted as the Bourne movies, but what I like about Statham is that he's always the good guy - even when he plays a bad guy. So you know where you are. He also a dry, predictable sense of humour that works for him. I binged a few of them recently and enjoyed them. He's a B-movie actor, but funny enough, with A-movie receipts. Jason Statham movies generate billions for his bosses. Just began to watch one over dinner with the missus, Parker, with Jennifer Lopez. it's a revenge flick, which is one of my favourite genres. His films tend to be pay back films...

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
It is machismo, of the blunt instrument variety, and his films aren't as well made or well scripted as the Bourne movies, but what I like about Statham is that he's always the good guy - even when he plays a bad guy. So you know where you are. He also a dry, predictable sense of humour that works for him. I binged a few of them recently and enjoyed them. He's a B-movie actor, but funny enough, with A-movie receipts. Jason Statham movies generate billions for his bosses. Just began to watch one over dinner with the missus, Parker, with Jennifer Lopez. it's a revenge flick, which is one of my favourite genres. His films tend to be pay back films...
Which one would you recommend?

He seems a bit Bruce Willis-y. I do like Willis.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
You know, I don't think I've seen even one, or rather I've seen a film or two with him in it, but not one in which he was the star. I guess I was never drawn to his brand of machismo.
Try The Bank Job — it’s fun, and not a super macho fight film. It’s fascinating, too, since it’s based on a truth-is-stranger-than-fiction event.

Last edited:
Reactions: El Dude and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

I haven’t seen the one @tented had recommended, so I have that to look forward to. :)

For his more typical fighting stuff, try Safe, where he’s a struggling man who’s called to be a hero, the oldest staple in the action hero playbook.

Reactions: El Dude

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm rather MCU-ed out. They were fun for awhile, but it was just spectacle after spectacle. Still, good popcorn fun.

I do have a special place in my heart for the X-Men because they were my favorite as a kid, although only a few of the movies were really good.

Would also love to see the Silver Surfer. Oscar Isaac as Moon Knight (sort of a schizophrenic, Egyptian mysticism/Jewish version of Batman) should be good.
I'm looking forward to Morpius..I would hope that they have him meet Spiderman as they did with the comics..

I'm still upset with the casting of Ben Affleck as Daredevil.. horrible movie..the Netflix series I heard was ok but I NEVER gave it a bother .. However, I did enjoy Jessica Jones

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I finished Parker, with Jason Statham, a very entertaining action flick with just the right mix of heart, and extreme violence..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm rather MCU-ed out. They were fun for awhile, but it was just spectacle after spectacle. Still, good popcorn fun.

I do have a special place in my heart for the X-Men because they were my favorite as a kid, although only a few of the movies were really good.

Would also love to see the Silver Surfer. Oscar Isaac as Moon Knight (sort of a schizophrenic, Egyptian mysticism/Jewish version of Batman) should be good.
These became preposterous to me when I watched the beginning of Thor Ragnorak and yawned about seven seconds in. Then Jeff Goldbum dressed as Widow Twankey. The whole thing was a bit camp, and I had a flash of inspiration - these Marvel movies are doing to their comic book sources what Adam West as Batman did in the sixties, using modish humour and nonsensical action to entertain, but never to move the audience. In thirty years somebody will make Thor movies the way Logan was made, with something to say about the character…

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Crank and Crank High Voltage are pretty decent watches too. The Transporter trilogy are completely OTT but enjoyable all the same too.

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just saw the new Wes Anderson, "The French Dispatch." I loved it and laughed a lot, but I think you have to like Wes Anderson.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished another Jason Statham revenger flick called Homefront. Basically it’s JS vs a bunch of biker drug pushing scumbags, at the same time as a load of red necks are threatening his 9 year old daughter. Emotional stuff. Good story, bit violent towards the end, but they drove him to it, right? Good support cast with James Franco, and the always beautiful Winona Ryder, still a woman I have a crush on. Underrated actress.

It’s a film with a moral to it, as well, which is a bonus. The moral being, don’t ever threaten Jason Statham’s daughter!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just saw "Belfast." I thought it was really good, and absolutely gorgeously shot. It's a memory piece, so has the tinge of nostalgia, which takes some of the edge off of the rougher stuff. And the Van Morrison soundtrack helps, too. Reminded me of "Roma," in lots of ways.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm definitely going to check out King Richard, the Venus and Serena Williams story.. ( the reviews have been very positive)..Without seeing the movie, wouldn't it be prudent to have a sequel in mind, "Queen Serena" because if you think about it, there are two different phases of Serena's brilliant career .Just my two cents worth.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
King Richard was a very good movie. Great job by Will Smith and all the other actresses and actors.I think the Williams family will be very proud especially Richard.

Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Watched Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings twice! Very entertaining, humorous, great action scenes. My favourite marvel film since guardians of the galaxy 2…

Reactions: Moxie and tented