The Movie Reel

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I've just watched "Because of Winn-Dixie".

Horsa

Reactions
I've just watched "Carry on camping".

Horsa

Reactions
I've just watched "Carry on abroad".

Horsa

Reactions
I've just watched Carry on at your convenience.

Horsa

Reactions
I've just watched Carry on behind.

Horsa

Reactions
I've just watched Carry on cabbie.

Horsa

Reactions
I've just watched "A Xmas Carol" with Patrick Stewart playing Scrooge.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've just watched "Carry on camping".
As an American, I confess I have never seen any of the "Carry On" movies, I'm vaguely familiar with them as they seem to have been around since my youth. I dunno, the little I heard of them they struck me as very "British" comedy, so I never took the plunge.

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
As an American, I confess I have never seen any of the "Carry On" movies, I'm vaguely familiar with them as they seem to have been around since my youth. I dunno, the little I heard of them they struck me as very "British" comedy, so I never took the plunge.
I had to watch quite a few as a girl as Dad was a big fan. (We're still sorting out Dad's things. If me, my Mother or Sister like them we're keeping them. If not, they go.) There are some I like & some I don't. My favourite "Carry on" films are the Xmas ones especially the 1 done totally in rhyme. They're British comedies like you mentioned & some of them are very bawdy. I don't like Carry on Emmanuelle as it's too rude for my liking but I can see why Dad liked them.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched Nomadland, and I thought it was beautiful, poetic, melancholy, and a film that works as the Great American Novel. Has anyone else seen it?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I watched Nomadland, and I thought it was beautiful, poetic, melancholy, and a film that works as the Great American Novel. Has anyone else seen it?

Yes, I've seen it. I thought it was excellent and thought-provoking - the Apocalypse of Capitalism - where human values shine through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just watched Nomadland on Hulu, and apparently other than Frances McDormand and David Strathairn and a couple of other actors, most of the characters in the film are played by amateurs. Some seem to be telling a variation of their own stories and it’s startling to see the unvarnished pain and joy displayed.

Yes, I've seen it. I thought it was excellent and thought-provoking - the Apocalypse of Capitalism - where human values shine through.
I like that description. While the film shows that many have embraced their nomadic lifestyle, and in the case of the McDormand character even eschew options for a more “stable” environment, there is a sense of loss and even being chewed up and spit out by the system. These senior nomads all have their own stories and scar tissue, but I have to admit for me the clean and sterile environment of the huge Amazon warehouse they work seasonally was the most chilling thing depicted.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have been wanting to see Nomadland thanks for the great write up everyone,I am a huge fan of Frances McDormand.I have seen promos of the film,it looks like the part she plays in this film was tailor made for her.

Last edited: