The Movie Reel

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Here is a link to the wikipedia entry for more info, but the quick answer is that, on the night of June 27-28, 1969, the police raided a known gay bar, the Stonewall Inn on Christopher St. in NYC. Rather than the usual running off, or going quietly in paddy wagons, the patrons fought back. It was 1am, it was hot, and people were drunk. Also, it was 1969, and a spirit of revolution was in the air. Objects were flung, the police and gay people faced off, notably a number of transexual patrons, then known as "street queens," or "drag queens." People had had enough, and it lasted the night. The next night a lot of gay people from around the city came to the Stonewall to protest, and face the cops again. This was seen as the beginning of the gay liberation movement. "The shot glass heard 'round the world," I've heard it called, which I think is excellent, and thought you'd appreciate.

But the really important thing happened on the anniversary, the next year. A commemorative march was organized, which has since become the Pride March or Pride Parade, and from there a movement really coalesced. So, this being the 50th Anniversary of those first nights of resistance in 1969, there's a big commemoration here in New York this weekend. This one is being called World Pride, and it's going to be massive.
Thank you very much for the information.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw "Yesterday" today. Danny Boyle's most recent. I liked it. What's not to like about 2 hours of Beatles songs? One thing I will say is that there is a small surprise in the film. If you're inclined to see it, don't read to much beforehand, for fear of a spoiler.

Horsa

Reactions
I saw "Yesterday" today. Danny Boyle's most recent. I liked it. What's not to like about 2 hours of Beatles songs? One thing I will say is that there is a small surprise in the film. If you're inclined to see it, don't read to much beforehand, for fear of a spoiler.
That sounds great. Me & my Sister are talking about seeing it. Thank you very much for the recommendation though if you waited until tomorrow you could have said "I saw 'Yesterday', yesterday" which I think would look very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That sounds great. Me & my Sister are talking about seeing it. Thank you very much for the recommendation though if you waited until tomorrow you could have said "I saw 'Yesterday', yesterday" which I think would look very good.
Oh, shoot! Missed opportunity. :)

Reactions: Horsa

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I saw this at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Can't think of a Danny Boyle film I haven't liked.

Not quite what I was expecting in advance - didn't read up on it, but it surpassed the expectations.

Reactions: Moxie and DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw this at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Can't think of a Danny Boyle film I haven't liked.

Not quite what I was expecting in advance - didn't read up on it, but it surpassed the expectations.

Seems like these music movies are on fire. Did you see Rocketman? I enjoyed that one and have been looking forward to seeing Yesterday.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Seems like these music movies are on fire. Did you see Rocketman? I enjoyed that one and have been looking forward to seeing Yesterday.

No, I haven't seen Rocketman yet. I've got a feeling the success of a few of these movies might make the genre end up like reality TV Shows - totally saturating the market. Still, I'll ride the wave for the time being, the ones I've seen so far have been good.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, I haven't seen Rocketman yet. I've got a feeling the success of a few of these movies might make the genre end up like reality TV Shows - totally saturating the market. Still, I'll ride the wave for the time being, the ones I've seen so far have been good.
On the notion of music movies and reality TV shows, I saw "Wild Rose" the other day. I enjoyed it a lot. (The lead, Jesse Buckley, is ironically from the reality shows, not lost on the film.) I thought she was stand-out, and the music was up my street. Wouldn't give it 4 stars, but worth a look.

Today I saw "The Art of Self-Defense." A satire on toxic masculinity. I laughed a lot. It's not for the faint of heart, (the subject is toxic masculinity, after all, so there is violence.) I actually don't think we get enough satire these days, and I'd call this a good one. It lampoons a lot of what I find on this forum. I wonder how folks will take it, if anyone sees it. I do think most of you guys are better than this, and I mean by a long shot, don't get me wrong. But I would love to hear Ricardo's take. LOL.

Horsa

Reactions
On the notion of music movies and reality TV shows, I saw "Wild Rose" the other day. I enjoyed it a lot. (The lead, Jesse Buckley, is ironically from the reality shows, not lost on the film.) I thought she was stand-out, and the music was up my street. Wouldn't give it 4 stars, but worth a look.

Today I saw "The Art of Self-Defense." A satire on toxic masculinity. I laughed a lot. It's not for the faint of heart, (the subject is toxic masculinity, after all, so there is violence.) I actually don't think we get enough satire these days, and I'd call this a good one. It lampoons a lot of what I find on this forum. I wonder how folks will take it, if anyone sees it. I do think most of you guys are better than this, and I mean by a long shot, don't get me wrong. But I would love to hear Ricardo's take. LOL.
I finally managed to watch "Bohemian Rhapsody" at my Sister's last week. I thought it was well-acted & the songs were well-sung. When "Crazy little thing called love" was sung I thought "The great pretender" was going to be sung though & it didn't feature. I found some of it sad. I joined in so it's a good job I didn't see it at the cinema because although I've got quite a flexible voice I can't reach the high notes. This is no great shame though as when I was in Middle school our head-teacher said he was operatically trained.

The 1st film you've just mentioned sounds good. Thank you very much for the recommendation.

I don't think that last film would be my type.

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Very good topic kskate. Congrats, i have not really been active so in the coming weeks or months i got a lot to catch up on.

Reactions: kskate2

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As the summer movie season gets underway, I wanted to revive this thread from the old forum.

Over the weekend, I saw Ironman 3 in IMAX 3D. Not a terrible effort, but how many movies can one see about Stark's world view and subsequent advanced weapons systems?

On a high note, I'm looking forward to the new Star Trek and Christopher Nolan's Superman series.

how many SUPERMAN or SPIDERMAN reboots has there been ?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Saw Christine last night, made in 2016.

While i loved and praise Rebecca Hall's performance in this film as great work , She was however too glamorous to play the part. Christine Chubbuck was plain looking, perhaps by choice.
Given that depression and loneliness was what drove Christine to an horrific suicide, a more homely actress may have been a better choice.

Her story took me completely by surprise as i was not aware of her background and it happened as long as 1974. That poor dear woman. Wished i could have been there to help save her.

Anyone here seen Christine film ?

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
“The art of self defense” was hilarious. Masculine men listen to metal, not easy listening. LOL.
The stereotypes in that film play out pretty well on these forums. LOL.

Horsa

Reactions
I watched book club at my Sister's last night. It's very funny. They're talking about the 50 shades series of books so a 3 letter s word that rhymes with vex is mentioned a lot. The highlight has to be when Carol tap-dances to Meatloaf's "I would do anything for love but I won't do that".

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is for @mrzz, who doesn't know "This is Spinal Tap." To be fair, it's a satire, and really only works as a whole. I'm not sure how funny you will find this clip. The film was made by Christopher Guest, and a comedy collective that have done several films together. I actually think that "Waiting for Guffmann" might be the best, but This is Spinal Tap is a cultural touch-stone in the US, and otherwise in the English-speaking world, which is why the "going to 11" joke plays.

Reactions: mrzz

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
This is for @mrzz, who doesn't know "This is Spinal Tap." To be fair, it's a satire, and really only works as a whole. I'm not sure how funny you will find this clip. The film was made by Christopher Guest, and a comedy collective that have done several films together. I actually think that "Waiting for Guffmann" might be the best, but This is Spinal Tap is a cultural touch-stone in the US, and otherwise in the English-speaking world, which is why the "going to 11" joke plays.

Thanks, @Moxie, I will check out the movie. I heard about it, but never seen -- actually the name was a bit familiar, but I actually thought it was some Glam metal/arena rock band, no, actually for some reason I thought it was some nu metal (which I don't like). As a hard core heavy metal fan the first trick you learn is to sift the wheat from the chaff, so some things end up as just noise in the back of your head. Anyway, knowing damn well the cliches from rock and metal, I will probably have a good time watching it. Yes, the clip by itself is not that funny, but I see where they are going.