The Movie Reel

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just re-watched "Klute" after many years, and I thought it held up beautifully. Very 70s psychological thriller. New York at its seediest. Creepy music, wonderful Gordon Willis cinematography (he shot the Godfather films,) and a fantastic Jane Fonda. She got the Oscar for it.

I didn't like the remake of "Suspiria," and I didn't care for "Widows" as much as the critics did, though it is good.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I watched Highlander again at the weekend... told the kids it was a legendary movie and they'd love it.

It hasn't aged well! The action sequences look really lame by today's standards. It felt old, looked old and was pretty crap. The makeup on the Highlanders girlfriend to make her look old was cringeworthy and bought about a bit of laughter.

I hadn't watched it for at least 20 years. The kids drifted off after about an hour.

Any old movies you revisited with fond memories and concluded that they were pretty crap in this day and age?
I won't cite anything but I'd say in general those films/movies which don't have any deeper emotional message for the viewer, except sensationalism and a praise of technology (that includes all so called "action" films) usually become "crap" with age. That's because technology changes and improves, and viewers start understanding the behind the scene of all action effects and makeups, and all of it starts looking silly but the film has no other interesting message to the viewer.
A good, ageless film must have a message for the viewer that is so universal so as not to change overtime as a given culture evolves, or across different cultures.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I won't cite anything but I'd say in general those films/movies which don't have any deeper emotional message for the viewer, except sensationalism and a praise of technology (that includes all so called "action" films) usually become "crap" with age. That's because technology changes and improves, and viewers start understanding the behind the scene of all action effects and makeups, and all of it starts looking silly but the film has no other interesting message to the viewer.
A good, ageless film must have a message for the viewer that is so universal so as not to change overtime as a given culture evolves, or across different cultures.

Yep - I decided to rewatch it after the Bohemian Rhapsody epic based on the Queen story... Queen wrote the music for Highlander... the music is of course, timeless. The basic premise of the Highlander story is still OK but still based on fantasy and action rather than anything deeper and more meaningful.

I watched Zulu again recently... and while it looks a little dated, it's still a timeless classic. It's based on the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift. This battle pitted 150 British soldiers and colonials against 4,000 Zulus.

The context was that 1,500 British soldiers had been wiped out by the Zulus at the Battle of Isandlwana earlier that day (albeit by a larger Zulu force).

The 150 - who consisted of Royal Engineers and a small military group held out, defending a small mission station against the odds. It was a desperate heroic effort against the odds and cast forward some very unlikely heroes. 11 Victoria crosses were issued after the battle (the highest award for gallantry) the most ever in a single action for the British Army.

The defenders were a welsh regiment, hence the "Men of Harlech" hymn. They had already held out against wave after wave of attacks at this point. The camp had been ablaze and overrun earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Front242

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just saw "The Favourite" by Yorgos Lanthimos. It won't be for everyone around here, but it's scathingly funny, and ultimately dark, as is the Lanthimos way. But if you've had enough of powdered wigs and proper behavior versions of the royal court movies, give this one a go. Also, the Golden Globes have announced, and everyone is getting in their picks for end-of-the-year bests. Wondering what people are liking.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Enjoyed The Equalizer 2 as much as the first one. Very good.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, it was good. Anything with Queen songs in the movie will always give it a jump start, to begin with... but the acting was pretty good. I liked it. I'm surprised you didn't like A Star is Born?
I finally saw "Bohemian Rhapsody" today. I liked it a lot. I'm a huge Queen fan, too, so I'm with you on the songs really helped. I thought it made him darker and more lonely than he actually seemed to have been, and wallowed a bit in the salacious and druggy. Also, perhaps over-long. That said, I thought Rami Malek was amazing as Freddy. The pay-off was the replication of that iconic Live Aid performance. (Thanks for posting the video. One of the greatest live performances of all time.) I will admit that I cried a bit more than was strictly necessary.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

You have a point, sure. But some "action" films are good in their own way. There is some strange beauty in brutality.... (well, sometimes at least). For example, I really like a lot of sequences in "Predator 2". There is some savage aesthetics there. On a completely different note, the "Lethal Weapon" series are quite fun.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I disagree that a film must have a "message," if you mean in some moral sense. I think genre films can be great for themselves. I don't think all "action" films age poorly. I would put up "The Matrix," and "Terminator," which also are films with a "message," if you like, which also age well. "Die Hard" and "Speed" are still two of my favorites. Also, if you want to drag out an old one, "Bullitt" is still awesome.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I know this is an old 1 but I'm really in the Xmas spirit & this is my favourite version of my favourite Xmas film though White Xmas comes a close 2nd. I hope you enjoy.

I love the book too.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Goodness gracious, watched “Gilda” again the other night. Rita Hayworth was unbearably erotic peeling off a single damn glove...

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just been to see Mary, Queen of Scots. Not a good movie, given that the history was tailor-made for a good film. The cast was great but the script and the way the story was adapted was pretty lame.

Horsa

Reactions
Just been to see Mary, Queen of Scots. Not a good movie, given that the history was tailor-made for a good film. The cast was great but the script and the way the story was adapted was pretty lame.
Thank you very much for the information. I was considering going to see it but as you say it's not historically correct & I can't have a conversation in a cinema about the historical inaccuracies of a film I don't think I'll bother.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Has anyone seen "Green Book' I am a huge fan of Viggo Mortensen and seeing we have a extra public holiday her in Sydney,for Australia Day I am thinking of going.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Has anyone seen "Green Book' I am a huge fan of Viggo Mortensen and seeing we have a extra public holiday her in Sydney,for Australia Day I am thinking of going.
Haven't visited this thread in a while. Did you see it? It's an easy movie to like. Terrific performances from both leads. I also just saw "Vice," the McKay movie about Dick Cheney, and the consequences of his vice presidency. As with The Big Short, he tries to tell a complicated story in a way you can enjoy it and absorb it. All of the leads are great. I think he indulges himself a bit, but he does make his points.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Haven't visited this thread in a while. Did you see it? It's an easy movie to like. Terrific performances from both leads. I also just saw "Vice," the McKay movie about Dick Cheney, and the consequences of his vice presidency. As with The Big Short, he tries to tell a complicated story in a way you can enjoy it and absorb it. All of the leads are great. I think he indulges himself a bit, but he does make his points.

Yes.My husband and I really enjoyed the film,as you say great performances by both leads.Vice is also on my list to see movies.

Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
My Sister is taking me to see instant family for a late Birthday present today.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
2019 ACADEMY AWARD WINNERS

BEST PICTURE
Green Book

DIRECTING
Alfonso Cuarón, Roma

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Olivia Colman, The Favourite

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Mahershala Ali, Green Book

ORIGINAL SONG
Shallow from A Star Is Born by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt and Benjamin Rice

ORIGINAL SCORE
Black Panther, Ludwig Goransson

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BlacKkKlansman, Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Green Book, Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
Skin, Guy Nattiv, Jaime Ray Newman

VISUAL EFFECTS
First Man

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
Period. End of Sentence., Rayka Zehtabchi

ANIMATED SHORT FILM
Bao, Domee Shi

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman

FILM EDITING
Bohemian Rhapsody, John Ottman

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Roma (Mexico)

SOUND MIXING
Bohemian Rhapsody

SOUND EDITING
Bohemian Rhapsody, John Warhurst, Nina Hartstone

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Roma, Alfonso Cuarón

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Black Panther, Hannah Beachler

COSTUME DESIGN
Black Panther, Ruth E. Carter

MAKE-UP AND HAIRSTYLING
Vice

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Free Solo, Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi

Reactions: tented

Horsa

Reactions
We missed instant family on Tuesday because the bus I caught to go to my Sister's had more stalls than a market & I actually thought we'd all have to get out & push at 1 point so we went on Saturday. I'd definitely recommend it as I found it very funny, it's inspired by a true story & it breaks down prejudices by making fun of them as well as encouraging the right people to foster children.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes.My husband and I really enjoyed the film,as you say great performances by both leads.Vice is also on my list to see movies.
I'll have to watch this now it's back on the radar with the Oscar win. Like Viggo... thought he was good in Lord of the Rings and The Road (the latter being a pretty despairing tale)