The Movie Reel

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've heard it's really good too. I'm not much for horror movies but isn't that one kind of a mix?

I wouldn't call it a horror movie in the most traditional sense of the word. It's a horror/thriller mainly built on suspense and executed to near perfection. Don't expect gore, jump-scares or anything of the sort.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just saw Avengers last night and thought it was excellent. I am far from a comic book nerd but have really come to like Marvel movies. Black Panther was a great one as well.

Wasn't overly keen on the Avengers mate. It was just too busy. Too many characters, and kind of a rinse and repeat of each hero taking a turn trying to win the day.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Wasn't overly keen on the Avengers mate. It was just too busy. Too many characters, and kind of a rinse and repeat of each hero taking a turn trying to win the day.

I could see that being an issue but I thought it flowed well. Obviously a very long movie but I didn't think it dragged. Out of curiosity were you caught up on the individual Marvel franchises (Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Captain America, and Doctor Strange)?

Last edited:

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Have you watched Borg vs McEnroe? I've watched it the other day. it is not bad, but nothing special neither.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
My Sister wants me to borrow the new Jumanji or the greatest showman off her but I haven't even watched Victoria & Abdul which she bought me for my Birthday & don't get much chance to watch T.V. unless I'm watching what Dad wants to watch so I'm unsure what to do unless I watch Victoria & Abdul the 1st time I get a chance to watch T.V. then choose between the other 2 another time. I guess when we've both got spare time I could have a sleepover at hers & watch 1 or both of them, then again she wants me to go to see show dogs &/ book club with her. Decisions! Decisions! Decisions!

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Saw a quiet place for the second time. One of the best horror/thriller movie experiences I've had in a theater in a long time. Intense and nailbiting to the end. Everything was on point specially the background music. Not sure about the choices the parents made(like leaving behind the smallest one at the end of the group wtf? ) but a terrific movie nonetheless.

Horsa

Reactions
I wonder if anyone can help me. My Sister wants me to go to see Mamma Mia 2 with her. I've had to watch Mamma Mia with her at her house many times but normally join in & drown out the bad singing by most of the cast members or drink a bottle of sweet white wine or sweet & fruity rose wine so it didn't sound so bad. In the 1st film not many of the cast could sing very well. Are the cast of Mamma Mia 2 better singers? If they aren't & I have to go along I hope there are bar staff on duty.

Reactions: Moxie and mrzz

Horsa

Reactions
I watched the greatest showman at my Sister's on Saturday night. I think it is brilliant. It got a few messages across to me that I really needed to take heed of & remember. It's based on a true story that really got to me. I love the music, dancing & animals.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just saw “ Crazy Rich Asians” with the missus and I have to say I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Michelle Yeoh can do no wrong as far as I’m concerned and for sheer movie visual treat two words: Gemma Chan.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just saw "Blackkklansman" and I thought it was terrific. Spike let the story speak for itself, and left his voice to the stylishness of the film, which was excellent '70s look...and a great soundtrack.

Horsa

Reactions
Is it just me or do other people get annoyed by films based on historical events that aren't historically correct? I watched an old film about the Titanic yesterday & it showed Queen Victoria cutting the ribbon before Titanic sailed when Queen Victoria died in 1901 & the Titanic's 1 & only voyage was in 1912. That really spoilt the film for me as I wasn't in the mood for watching it all the way through & pointing out all the mistakes like I normally do.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Is it just me or do other people get annoyed by films based on historical events that aren't historically correct? I watched an old film about the Titanic yesterday & it showed Queen Victoria cutting the ribbon before Titanic sailed when Queen Victoria died in 1901 & the Titanic's 1 & only voyage was in 1912. That really spoilt the film for me as I wasn't in the mood for watching it all the way through & pointing out all the mistakes like I normally do.
My advice: treat those films as fiction. There are plenty of such films that although include some historical events, are otherwise fiction, and the directors are even open about it. In case of Titanic, just be considerate to the director's ignorance about historical facts for a moment (you can make a note of it for later public denouncement and even ridicule, whatever you chose to do with it) but while watching the rest of the film, enjoy and appreciate the artistic value of the plot, which is a pure fiction and has nothing to do with the ignorance of the director about history, the ignorance you have the problem with.
By way of my example: I had even bigger problems with "The Day after Tomorrow" rather than your problems with titanic. The TDAT story is just a pure BS from the scientific point of view: the sudden and dramatic climate change events (ice age temps in entire globe, tornadoes in CA, helicopter freezes in the air) due to the slowdown of AMOC (Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation - popularly known as Gulf Stream) is such a nonsense that it makes me puke. However I watched it with some interest (as much as I like sensational films, which was high at that time but medium to low today) and appreciated its effects. All events have been portrayed very realistically which is impressive.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
My advice: treat those films as fiction. There are plenty of such films that although include some historical events, are otherwise fiction, and the directors are even open about it. In case of Titanic, just be considerate to the director's ignorance about historical facts for a moment (you can make a note of it for later public denouncement and even ridicule, whatever you chose to do with it) but while watching the rest of the film, enjoy and appreciate the artistic value of the plot, which is a pure fiction and has nothing to do with the ignorance of the director about history, the ignorance you have the problem with.
By way of my example: I had even bigger problems with "The Day after Tomorrow" rather than your problems with titanic. The TDAT story is just a pure BS from the scientific point of view: the sudden and dramatic climate change events (ice age temps in entire globe, tornadoes in CA, helicopter freezes in the air) due to the slowdown of AMOC (Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation - popularly known as Gulf Stream) is such a nonsense that it makes me puke. However I watched it with some interest (as much as I like sensational films, which was high at that time but medium to low today) and appreciated its effects. All events have been portrayed very realistically which is impressive.
I do but it puts me off historical films sometimes while at others I watch them with other people & point out the mistakes. Sometimes I like to separate the fact from the fiction in films like this for example when I watched the 90s version of Titanic. I knew it was based on a true story but the love story between Rose & Jack never happened & enjoyed it especially the song which is my favourite karaoke song as I always win when I sing it. I'd heard the song before I'd even watched the film as I'm a big Celine Dion fan. I love that song.

Last edited:

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Continuing the subject of 'Problems with Films', not all disaster films must be exaggerated (therefore unrealistic & silly), such as TDAT I mentioned above. There are some disaster fiction films, even based on historic events, that are not only realistic but also historically accurate. Two examples:
- Towering Inferno: very realistic, and by tragic coincidence, a carbon copy of it, but real event happened in W London (Grenfell Tower)
- World Trade Center by Oliver Stone: I gave a link to it, because I cannot find it on any list of famous disaster films (movies), so it may be unknown to most of yous.

And here comes my big problem and disappointment: an excellent film as WTC has been ignored by both critics and viewers. The story of WTC was filmed very well, with care to be very accurate with historic records, including the leading characters where real people-disaster survivors have been consulted and the script corrected to their likings; the plot is very sentimental & well played, overall value of the film better than Titanic. Yet people don't talk about it, while talking about Titanic. Hit lists of best disaster films (movies) of all times invariably place Titanic in top 10, yet not a single mention of WTC. Something is wrong with WTC ignorance by everyone who cares about this genre. Maybe someone has an idea why it is so, because I'm completely clueless here.

Horsa

Reactions
Continuing the subject of 'Problems with Films', not all disaster films must be exaggerated (therefore unrealistic & silly), such as TDAT I mentioned above. There are some disaster fiction films, even based on historic events, that are not only realistic but also historically accurate. Two examples:
- Towering Inferno: very realistic, and by tragic coincidence, a carbon copy of it, but real event happened in W London (Grenfell Tower)
- World Trade Center by Oliver Stone: I gave a link to it, because I cannot find it on any list of famous disaster films (movies), so it may be unknown to most of yous.

And here comes my big problem and disappointment: an excellent film as WTC has been ignored by both critics and viewers. The story of WTC was filmed very well, with care to be very accurate with historic records, including the leading characters where real people-disaster survivors have been consulted and the script corrected to their likings; the plot is very sentimental & well played, overall value of the film better than Titanic. Yet people don't talk about it, while talking about Titanic. Hit lists of best disaster films (movies) of all times invariably place Titanic in top 10, yet not a single mention of WTC. Something is wrong with WTC ignorance by everyone who cares about this genre. Maybe someone has an idea why it is so, because I'm completely clueless here.
I only really like Titanic & perfect storm out of that genre of film.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Saw Alfonso Cuarón's "Roma" yesterday. It's stunning. I know it won't be for everyone here, but it is a great work of art, imo.

Horsa

Reactions
Saw Alfonso Cuarón's "Roma" yesterday. It's stunning. I know it won't be for everyone here, but it is a great work of art, imo.
That sounds interesting. Thank you very much for the recommendation.

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I’m so looking forward to see this film. His first spanish speaking IIRC since “Y tu mama tambien.”
“Children of men “ is still one of my all time faves, just amazing and underrated even now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m so looking forward to see this film. His first spanish speaking IIRC since “Y tu mama tambien.”
“Children of men “ is still one of my all time faves, just amazing and underrated even now.
Is "Children of Men" underrated? If so, I agree that's very wrong. I thought there were Oscar noms for it. Anyway, "Roma" is just gorgeous! By which I mean in all senses. A memory film, very personal to him, so an emotional experience. He made it with Netflix, but resist any temptation not to see it in the theatre. It's a big-screen film.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is "Children of Men" underrated? If so, I agree that's very wrong. I thought there were Oscar noms for it. Anyway, "Roma" is just gorgeous! By which I mean in all senses. A memory film, very personal to him, so an emotional experience. He made it with Netflix, but resist any temptation not to see it in the theatre. It's a big-screen film.

Went to Mexico City last year and nearly stayed in the ROMA colonia, and being set in the 70’s I wanted to see Charon’s take on that turbulent time in the DF.
Plus I hear its visually a treat in BW. I’m a sucker for that.

COM had great reviews but I rarely see it listed in top ten films for the decade, etc when those lists come out. It’s sort of to me a mix of so many genres that’s it’s hard to pigeonhole that film. It’s SciFi, dystopian future genre, action film, social commentary, etc etc etc.

Still pick up different details every time I see it.

Reactions: Moxie